Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Shireen's Books for 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 1. Innocent Blood by P.D. James

My feelings on this book are between ok and I liked it! I had a hard time getting through the first 175 pages of this 390 page book. PD James describes everything in such detail that I was gritting my teeth and saying, "Get on with it". Finally, when she had described the characters and locations down to the dust on the window ledge the book began to intrigue me. This book is on the dark, depressing side, but at the end I did sit for quite awhile contemplating the characters and the story.

message 2: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 2. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James

This was a very good book with a surprise twist at the end. The first in the series with Cordelia Gray as the detective. This book was actually published in 1955.

message 3: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 3. The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

I really enjoyed this book. Jasper Fforde has an amazing imagination. This book is an unusual, funny whodunit that will keep you interested to the end.

message 4: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 4. The Tales of Beedle The Bard by J.K. Rowling

message 5: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 5. Grace by Richard Paul Evans

It doesn't have the fairy tale happy ending but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

message 6: by Shireen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:45AM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 6. The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly
7. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
8. Lost Light by Michael Connelly

Both of the Connelly books were entertaining, fast moving and the perfect holiday easy read.

In spite of all the negative comments about the Stephanie Meyer books I am enjoying them. I guess because they are totally different from other books I read. I do think they drag in some areas and could have less description of the main characters love for each other and more substance to the plot. That is purely from an older readers point of view. These books are perfectly written for the young teen audience which is their target.

message 7: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) If you liked The Big Over Easy, try the Thursday Next series by the same author.

message 8: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments Thanks Alycia, I read that series last year....loved them. What a great imagination he has.

message 9: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 9. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

message 10: by Shireen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:22AM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 10. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Great job on your first 10!

message 12: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments Thanks Mary! I have quite amazed myself actually because I am not a very fast reader and the Stephenie Meyer's books are all very large.

message 13: by Shireen (last edited Feb 18, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 11. Clothar, The Frank by Jack Whyte
A continuation in the story of King Arthur, Merlyn and Camulot but told in a more believable, realistic story of their lives. This book is an off shoot of the Eagle series with Clothar aka Sir Lancelot from a young boy to meeting Arthur.

message 14: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) And your Twilight series is complete! What were your thoughts when it was all said and done? Which was your favourite?

message 15: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments HI Aprile,
I did really like the whole series. Something very different than my normal reads. Some people have compared it to Harry Potter, sorry, but I think that series was much better. As far as my favourite, I think I'd chose the last book...lots going on.

message 16: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Shireen wrote: "HI Aprile,
I did really like the whole series. Something very different than my normal reads. Some people have compared it to Harry Potter, sorry, but I think that series was much better. As ..."

I totally agree with you. The last book was my favourite too. And I think I liked it better than Harry Potter too, though I loved them both.

message 17: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments oops....You misunderstood me...I think Harry Potter was better and one that will last through the years.

message 18: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 12. The Eagle by Jack Whyte
The last in the series but as good as the rest. They are all very big books and takes some time getting through them.

message 19: by Shireen (last edited Mar 14, 2009 02:35PM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 13. The Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

I like the premise behind this book...good and evil "Others" (witches, vampires etc) that live under a common treaty. The Day Watch is the light ones that make sure the dark others keep up their end of the treaty. Unfortunately, the plot lines are convoluted and don't have a good flow to keep you engrossed. Great potential, but falls short.

message 20: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 14. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This book is one of the best I have read in years. I read the Diary of Ann Frank when I was in school (many years ago) and the feelings that evoked are still with me. The Book Thief is as heart wrenching and as enduring as Ann Frank. This story of the Holocaust is written from the point of view of a German family with humour, love and great humanity.

message 21: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 15. The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

I really liked this book! To quote Entertainment weekly, "Groff's multilayered saga both thrills and delights with poignant, breathtaking prose".

message 22: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 16. Claire's Head by Catherine Bush
This book was mostly about migraine headaches with a little story thrown in. It was written well enough to keep me reading but not my cup of tea. As a person with migraines, it almost brought one on just reading the descriptions of the characters suffering. If you have a loved one that gets migraines and you don't get it, read this book!

message 23: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 17. The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun.

message 24: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 18. Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell
A good murder mystery for the summer. Lots of action, occasionally a bit confusing but kept you going.

message 25: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 19. The Quest by Wilbur Smith (629 pages). Another excellent book by Wilbur Smith. The Quest is the fourth in his Egyptian novels (River God, The Seventh Scroll & Warlock).

I haven't been reading as much lately as I am a first time grandma to a wonderful grandson. He has totally enthralled me and I'm not getting much of anything done.

Also, I wanted to suggest to everyone that it would make life easier if people would just simply put book and author in their listings. The ISBN number and web sites etc. just make it harder to get to the books name and your comments. Thanks!

Happy Reading Everyone!

message 26: by Shireen (last edited Jun 01, 2009 09:32PM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 20. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Warning: This book could be hazardous to your waistline. The main character owns a cafe called the Cookie Jar, strictly desserts and coffee. The book also includes recipes. By the time I was half way through I had the greatest urge to try out all these cookie recipes. A fast, easy read but good enough to keep you going.

21. Candy for Christmas by Joanne Fluke
A 107 page novellette at the end of the above book. These stories remind me slightly of Nancy Drew level of book.

message 27: by Shireen (last edited Jun 10, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 22. Dewey by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter A sweet,sentimental story of small town Iowa, the life of Vicki Myron and Dewey Readmore Books, the Famous Library Cat!

message 28: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 23. Stone Cold by David Baldacci

A great summer book! Fast moving, lots of action. Unfortunately, it is the third book of 4 which I didn't know at the time. Can stand alone but I wish I had read the first two.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 65 comments Another series I read similar to the Joanne Fluke books is the Chocoholic series by Joanna Carl. Not quite as good I think, but I still enjoy them.

message 30: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments Donna wrote: "Another series I read similar to the Joanne Fluke books is the Chocoholic series by Joanna Carl. Not quite as good I think, but I still enjoy them."

Thanks Donna! I will keep that in mind.

message 31: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 24. The Simple Truth by David Baldacci

message 32: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 25. Kill All The Judges by William Deverell I gave this novel just an OK as I had kind of a blah feeling at the end, no satisfaction. The beginning is very confusing, jumping back and forth between reality and a book one of the characters is writing. It took a long time to really get into it. The author is a retired Vancouver lawyer, who I have met, and have read his first book, Needles, that I liked very much, so I was a bit disappointed with this one.

message 33: by Mary Todd (new)

message 34: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments Thanks Mary Todd. At this plodding place I will be lucky to finish the 50 by year end ;-)

message 35: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments If you do, you do. If you don't, hooray anyway!

message 36: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 26. Brother Odd by Dean Kootnz

message 37: by Shireen (last edited Jul 14, 2009 01:15PM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 27. Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. The fourth in the series about Odd Thomas. Quirky, paranormal & entertaining in an "odd" way. The dialogue for the main character, Odd Thomas, reminds me of Joe Friday in the old show Dragnet. Although, readers would probably have to be over 50 to remember that...lol.

message 38: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments And...lucky for you...I AM OVER 50!

message 39: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments Mary Todd wrote: "And...lucky for you...I AM OVER 50!"

LOL....me too!

message 40: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 28. The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz An easy to read page turner. Perfect for the beach.

message 41: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 29. One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz A bit too bizarre!

message 42: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 30. The Husband by Dean Koontz I liked this book very much. There was less "weirdness", more of a murder mystery.

message 43: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 31. Blood Memory by Greg Iles

Great book, couldn't put it down! "An utterly consuming suspense fiction".

message 44: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 32. True Evil by Greg Iles
A mystery thriller that throws in some medical possibilities that are "chillingly real". Hard to put down!

message 45: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 33. Split Second by David Baldacci

message 46: by Shireen (last edited Oct 05, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 34. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
I highly recommend this book.

35. Divine Justice by David Baldacci

I've fallen behind in my reading as I've been away on wonderful Meditteranean cruise for three weeks and walked, walked & walked. When I did sit down to read I kept falling asleep. Back to reality now, so should get more read.

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna | 65 comments That is a great reason to fall behind in your reading! Sounds like a fantastic trip! Welcome back to reality.

message 48: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 36. I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb....This book was so depressing for the first 400 + pages, but I was determined to finish it and did get hooked in for rest of the book.

message 49: by Shireen (last edited Nov 11, 2009 09:52AM) (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 37. Avenger by Frederick Forsyth.....Lots of political history from the Vietnam War to present mixed in with five stories of espionage and international intrigue, all connecting smoothly to make one great novel.

message 50: by Shireen (new)

Shireen | 115 comments 38. Velocity by Dean Koontz.....A fast paced thriller that is hard to put down. Your nerves are stretched wondering what is going to happen next and who is controlling the shots.

« previous 1