Modern Mommies discussion

General > Vaccines

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (new)

Sera Hi, all. I've started reading about the whole vaccine controversy, and I was curious to hear what you all thought about the issue.

My inclination at this point is to follow the Dr. Sears approach, i.e., to get all the vaccines, but to spread them out over a longer period of time. I just ordered his book so I am looking forward to reading more about this topic.

Also, the first vaccine is for Hepatitis B right after the baby is born. Did you all immediately get that vaccine for your child?

message 2: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Sera,
Here are my few cents...as a mother, a pharmacist and a trained vaccinator I am a big believer in vaccinations. My other advice is not to get medical information from the internet unless it is a reputable place like WebMD or Mayo Clinic. The lay press horribly butchers and sensationalizes medical information. After seeing how inaccurately drug and medical information is reported in the media (extra doom and gloom) I am reluctant to believe anything they report on any topic. My youngest received the Hep B vaccine right after birth, before we left the hospital. My oldest got it around 3 months because there was a shortage when he was born. I would have to research the Dr. Sears approach. I am wondering by what criteria he can promote his schedule as "safer." I am a big fan of controlled head-to-head trials and I don't know if he has that. I would follow the standard schedule set by the American Academy of Pediatrics or whatever schedule your pediatrician usually uses to help prevent errors. My oldest actually got an extra dose of the Hep B because he was off schedule and things were not recorded properly. In Michigan all childhood vaccinations have to be reported to the state which adds an extra layer of confusion. The state said he was missing a dose and the doctor's office believed them )-: Also, keep in mind some vaccines must be completed in a series. The vaccine is not fully effective until the series is complete, so delaying the schedule will only delay full coverage of the vaccine. I was happy when they were able to combine multiple vaccines into one poke (which they often do) to decrease the pain and trauma of the injections. My boys tolerated their vaccines better as babies than they do as older children since there was no anxiety as infants. Also, once the immune system is activated for one thing it will work better against something else because it is "at the ready" so to speak.
Okay, so I guess that was about a dollar. I look forward to seeing what other moms think.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mrspickett) I am also a big fan of vaccines. I work in healthcare specifically with neonates and pediatrics and it is sad to see these vaccinated illnesses making a comeback due to kids not being vaccinated.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I am a big believer in vaccines, too. I know there is a lot of controversy over them now, but I am not a doctor and won't understand half of the stuff I read about them. That is why I trust my pediatrician to tell me what he believes is best to keep my son as healthy as possible.

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera Thanks, all, for the feedback. I'm not opposed to vaccines at all, just the matter in which they are scheduled. I have read a bit of the Dr. Sears book, wherein he provides an objective discussion of this topic. He is providing the right information for me to make my decisions.

Thanks, again! I appreciate your perspectives.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) My kids have gotten all of thier's at the appropriate times

message 7: by L & D (new)

L & D We get all the vaccines on schedule with no side effects except an occasional low grade fever. I have an acquaintance whose daughter has Autism, she is convinced that the vaccines caused it. there is a huge problem with that her son had the same vaccines at the same times (he is a year older) and had no side effects. Also, despite the "hype" there is NO LEGITIMATE reserach that says vaccines cause autism. Any research is correlational, and cannot definitively state that one causes the other.

The problem with choosing not to vaccinate (imho) is that it puts the population at large at risk. yes, we don't have polio anymore, but it is because we vaccinated it out of existence.

All right, off my soapbox now. :)

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny My daughter received all her vaccinations on time. Any controversy has been disproven, especially the one regarding autism. The fact is, vaccinations have saved lives and increased the mortality rates of babies. Those who are refusing to have their children vaccinated are not informed about the truth and are risking the lives of their children.

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera As a follow-up to this thread, my daughter is now 17 months old. I've spread the vaccines out over time, but she will be caught up by 2. I'm more convinced by the latest research that vaccines do not cause autism, but until the actual cause is determined, I'm comfortable with taking the precautions that I have.

I have never been an advocate of abandoning vaccines for one's children just to be clear, but I had concerns when my daughter was born about the number of shots that she would be getting at one time. Even though my doctor didn't agree with those concerns, we worked together to alleviate them by coming up with a schedule that would adequately protect my daughter and make me feel better about how many shots she was getting at one time. I think that it's important as a parent to speak up if you aren't comfortable with something in regard to your child.

I've done my research on this issue on both sides of the equation and I found a solution that did not risk the life of my daughter or any other children. There is a middle ground here if people are interested in taking the time to think about it.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 5 comments Sera,
I applaud the way you made your decision. It sounds like you did your research and made the decision that you felt was best for your child. Isn't that the best any of us can do as a parent?

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera Thanks, Deborah, and yes, I agree that that is the best that any of us can do as a parent :)

Thank you for your support.

message 12: by Divya (new)

Divya (divyasathis) hi.. my son is 4months old.. he was given the shots soon after the birth.. hep B, oral polio and BCG..
we did have shots in his 45th day and 75th day and a recent one... the next one is by his 5th month... i do feel vaccinations are necessary... to be precautious is better than to suffer after being affected right?!