The Importance of Reading Ernest discussion

Short Happy...Francis Macomber > Hemingway's Portrayal of Africa

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 219 comments Mod
There is not much of the usual sweeping vistas, none of the "Green Hills of Africa" descriptions of grandeur, but there is something that Hemingway conveys about Africa that really seems to capture the feel of Safari.

I really felt the heat, for one thing, and simple bits about flies and mosquito nets gave me a hint of the mood. I am going to have to pay more attention to this when I read it again tomorrow.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
oh yes, the heat,and the discomfort of it all. it's like a way of showing that the characters are heated up with tension, they are not comfortable around each other,and the suspense is heating things up. what a marvelous way to build up to the ending, wouldn't you say???

message 3: by Brad (last edited Jul 27, 2009 07:47PM) (new)

Absolutely. It is amazing what Hemingway can do with so little space. Setting, character, dialogue, action, it's all there and it all creates a perfect mood with nothing wasted at all. And you're bang on about the way it builds to the ending, Gary. Deliberate.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
ok, did i already deliberate,or do i need to do more of it, brad????

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
lol!

message 6: by Brad (new)

Brad wrote: "Absolutely. It is amazing what Hemingway can do with so little space. Setting, character, dialogue, action, it's all there and it all creates a perfect mood with nothing wasted at all. And you're b..."

No...I meant that he was being deliberate. I was just making it unclear with a poorly placed fragment.

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
ha! ok!

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt Several mentions of Wilson's red face made me feel the heat (probably the Africa-like temps that we have had the past few days didn't hurt anything either).

Nice mention of the bugs and mosquito net also, Brad.

message 9: by Gary (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
hey , matt, check out the discussion on there of THE SUPPRESSED POEMS OF ERNEST HEMINGWAY. i thought you might really find that of interest.

I responded to the last post you sent about francis story,and talked about my sons high school experience.

you must be a night owl like i am, eh?

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) One thing Hemingway can do is convey a sense of place so acutely one feels the sweat running down the face. There was never any vague image in my mind, it was crystal clear, even with the few words and hints that Hemingway gave. Have to give Papa his due.

message 11: by Brad (new)

I feel much the same way, Stephen. It is probably my favourite element of his writing.

message 12: by Gary (last edited Aug 14, 2009 02:36PM) (new)

Gary | 399 comments Mod
it is definately the favorite elements of his writing for me. the way he writes,and uses tone,and mood to set his stories,are amazing!!! the man definately makes you think exactly what he intends for you to think,and feel.

it always amazes me how so many people say he's so boring,because his writing lacks these long passages of description,etc. i find that there's a lot more there that people miss, because they aren't willing to think for themselves, or to dig a bit deeper,to catch what hemingway was definately trying to say. he uses inferences,and generalizations that you have to think about. it's not all spelled out for you. he wants you to jump to your own conclusions,and he wants you to disagree.he wants you to debate his work!!

i don't mean to sound like a snob, but it's like, if reading something doesn't slap you upside the head,and it doesn't tell you it all, where you have to read between the lines for yourself, & no thinking has to be involved, then people don't want to read it. they don't understand it,because they don't want to ,or are too lazy to try, so to cover for their lack of "getting it",it's so easy to say it's boring! you know what i mean?

this is why i almost think people shouldn't read or study hemingway till they are in college or beyond. you hear from so many high school students how horrible hemingway is, but the ones that actually read later in life, as life long readers, then read him,and they are like wow! i didn't get this before!!!! hello???????

any thoughts?