Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Twilight - Book Discussion *spoilers likely*

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I thought I would see if anyone else is finally getting around to reading Twilight or already read and would like to chat about it.

I'm currently at about the halfway point. Its an enjoyable read but I must say, I thought there would be some action going on by now. I didn't think it would be all talk and unrequited love at least not for 200+ pages in a 400+ pg book! Though I can see now why all the teens are falling for Edward.....
Super hotty is completely taken by the "plain girl", wants to spend time with her without the goal of getting in her pants and wants to know what she is thinking! Heck, even I'm attracked by the latter!!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Roxy, give it some more pages & there will be some action. I think the first book has the least action in it since it pretty much sets up the story for the other books.

message 3: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) Yes...keep going and it will get better. But I agree...I really got into it! And it's hard not to have a super crush on Edward. Especially after I saw the movie. It definitely sucks you in!

message 4: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Yay, a Twilight Discussion! I'm going to have to be careful though because I read all of the books back to back over a 3 week period so the whole story blends together for me and I will have to try to remember which book has what part of the story. One thing I loved is that Stephanie Meyer has released a partial draft of the 5th book, Midnight Sun, on her website. Midnight Sun is a retelling of the first book, Twilight, but it tells the story from Edwards point of view instead of Bella's. It really gave a whole new twist to the story to get inside his head and read what he was thinking during his initial meetings with Bella and why he reacted the ways he did. Brought a lot to the story. Not sure when it should be read though. Maybe not till you are done with the series, or maybe after you have read Twilight? You can find the draft on:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnigh...

message 5: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I know some people may not be happy about this but I have to say.....I'm on page 300-and-something and am bored. Its all about their feelings. Normally that is ok, in a 200+ page book but come one.....300+ pages basically about their feelings? This is why the Preface is the set up for the, presumably, end of the firts book. What else is there to keep you going...I didn't think it was going to be a big romance novel.
Now that the holidays are done I don't have anymore days to just sit and read all day. I think the book does not fare well when you can only read a chapter at a time.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments The romance is not there in the other books like it is in the first one. I was sucked into the book & read it in a few days. I agree that you can't read only a chapter at a time or you will lose interest. Personally, my favorite book of the series was the 3rd.

message 7: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I'm glad to hear that, Hannah! I bought the third book, but have yet to read it. I've only made it through the first two. So that makes me a little more excited to dive back into the series!

I lent my Twilight book to a friend at work over Thanksgiving, and she got so into it that she borrowed the next two from me (before I've even read the 3rd!) and then went out and bought the 4th book and has finished the whole series! I think it's a case of love or hate. I know people who loved it and people that couldn't get into it.

message 8: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 19 comments I read all 4 in a span of three weeks or so. The third was definately my favorite. I am still trying to figure out if I liked the ending.

message 9: by Malena (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:20AM) (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) My favourite book is Twilight. The series isn't for everyone but I really enjoyed all three books. Breaking Dawn was disappointing.

message 10: by ReneeB (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:43AM) (new)

ReneeB I could not put these books down. I held off reading them for so long thinking they were for teenagers. I really liked them. I would have to say my favorites are Twilight and Breaking Dawn. I know a lot of people didn't like New Moon but I thought it was crucial to the story.

message 11: by Marcy (last edited Jan 06, 2009 05:58PM) (new)

Marcy | 19 comments I initally thought Breaking Dawn was disappointing. The longer I have reflected the more satisified I am with the end. I'm still confused on how a male vampire can have "relations'. Isn't blood to that area of the body important???

edited to remove info that might give away too much of the plot in the last book......

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Marcy...HA HA HA HA HA! Good point! :o)

And it was our wonderful Chicks on Lit moderator Tera who posted in her review of the book Twilight:
"I have to admit I'm wondering why if the smell of her blood sends him into tortured fits why she doesn't have to hide out from him for about 5 days a month."

message 13: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Whoa....lets not go spoiling the other books too.
I started this thread to talk Twilight the book not the series.

message 14: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 354 comments ok, just finished Twilight, Book 1. Finally. Once I had to read it a chapter at a time, when I found time it became quite boring. i do think the complete lack of action made it even more boring. I get that Bella & Edward are in love/lust. I got that after 200 pages.

What I don't get, the whole sucking of the venom (sp). So basically Edward was able to drink her blood enough to suck out this venom and that did not make Bella a vamp?

message 15: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sucking out her blood (with the venom) kept her from turning into a vampire. They get the venom into a person by biting them.
Bite w/ teeth = inject venom = person becomes vampire
He doesn't want her to become a vampire, so to save her he has to suck the venom out of her (think sucking the venom out of a snake bite). He has to be able to control himself enough to just suck out the blood with the venom, but then stop and not keep drinking her blood, and above all fight his vampire urges and use his control to not bite her. Their natural instinct is to bite, and he has to be able to control himself enough to not do this.

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Jan 07, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments I'm so sorry, Roxy. I deleted my comment. I'll think before I type next time! :)

message 17: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Thanks, Hannah. No worries though....it'll probably be some time before I continue on with the series.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa818) As a mother of two kids under 3, I was amazed in being able to finish all four in a week and a half!

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin | 29 comments I absolutely love Stephanie Meyer and ALL the Twilight saga books. Not just because I'm a teenager, but vampires really interest me. I've already read all 4 books, but when I got the whole set for Christmas, I KNOW I'm gonna be reading them all over again.

message 20: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Mel, I agree, I was VERY disappointed with Breaking Dawn, mostly because the level of inappropriateness skyrocketed and I would have to deal with the consequences since I monitor a site for tween girls... I'm so sick of the series in general because of my job haha. Erin, if you like vampire books, there are a lot of other ones out there that you might be interested in. Have you checked these out? Silver Kiss by Annette Klause, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' series (starts with In the Forests of the Night), Peeps by Scott Westerfield and its sequel The Last Days... there are a bunch. I'm actually doing an independent project next semester on vampires in teen lit. I bought the first novel in the House of Night series recently and plan on reading that soon.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 29 comments Wow thanks a lot!!!! I'm going to the library soon and I wasn't sure what I should read next. Mostly because all the books on my bookshelf I have read at least 3 times each. But I'm gonna look into these books.

message 22: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen You're welcome! Yeah, they're all pretty good. There's also the Vampire Kisses series (I forget who wrote those) but I wasn't as big a fan. They are funny though, it was probably just me and my tastes.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin | 29 comments I've read all the Vampire Kisses Series. And Ellen Schrieber wrote them. And I agree they weren't that good, but they were funny. haha :)

message 24: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen THAT'S right. Schrieber. Glad we're on the same page, in a manner of speaking.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin | 29 comments Thats cool. One of my friends from school gave me the series to read. I read through all of them in like 4 days. It was like reading a book a day. They were so easy. Have you read Melissa de la Cruz's books, Blue Bloods, Masquarade, or Revelations? They are a series too.

message 26: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen No, that's right I forgot about those. My professor and I decided that those were one of the series we'd be reading, so I need to get the first book soon. I should probably read as much as I can before I go back, though these will probably be the easiest books I'll read next semester. Me and putting off all my sciences until the bitter end... *sigh*

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin | 29 comments They're really good in my opinion. At first they were a little difficult to read, but then I started to get the concept of how she was doing it and it made it easier. And don't worry, science is my weakest subject. My best is english and math.

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 229 comments Ohhh I am a bit addicted. Since Christmas I have read them 3 times. My Dad (75) has borrowed them and is now on the 4th book. I will not admit to how many times I have seen the movie. But I will say it was more than once! One of the girls at work asked if I was on Team Edward or Team Jacob. Anyone else want to admit that one? Well, I am Team Edward! He's a bit too dreamy for my taste! Too bad he is not real!

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 229 comments Well, I just looked up on Amazon the release date for the DVD March 21st! I will definitely have to get it! I might have to get 2 in case DVDs can wear out! Ha!

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 229 comments I got my dvd pre-ordered from Books-a-Million. But if you like Twilght and want something else to read a friend at work recommended to me a series by P.C. Cast. She mainly told me because it is written by a local school teacher here in Tulsa and it takes place here and all. Its what all the local teens and parents are now reading. Its her House of Night series. Its not bad...if you are familiar with Tulsa it takes place at Cascia Hall which no longer is the "rich-kids" prep school but a new boarding school for fledgling vampire teens and also the surrounding area near 21st & Utica (Utica Square Mall, St. John's hospital, Philbrook Museum and Woodward Park)...it talks about the Union/Broken Arrow/Jenks football rivalry and like Twilight it a group of books that really flows together into one large story. They are fairly quick reads!