Happy & Brainy Group discussion

About Oneself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ilyn (last edited Jan 03, 2009 04:31AM) (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 1071 comments Mod
I am the moderator of this group. I joined Goodreads to promote my novel, Reason Reigns. I am writing the second: Royal Serf.

Ilyn Ross is my pen name. I use one to maintain my privacy, to separate my private life from a public one. The "Ro" in Ross is from the first two letters of my sons' middle name, Roark; the first s is for my firstborn and the second is for my lastborn. Long before I became an author, my firstborn requested me to respect his privacy. I accord the same to his brother.

I've e-met very nice people - I acknowledge them here - thank you for the joy and friendship.

I hope you would also write something about yourself. Happy New Year.

message 2: by Ilyn (last edited Jan 15, 2009 02:46AM) (new)

In the Favorite Learned Hidden Place group's "strange place to read a book..." http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

Arthur asked, "Is there a favorite spot or place you’ve read a book?"

I posted: I usually read at home or on the train. When I went to the hospital to give birth to our lastborn, I brought a book. The doctor said it was the first time he saw someone read a book while in labor.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1 comments I am also an author. My debut novel, LEGS, was published last year. It's chick lit. My second novel, BLOOD MOON RISING, is under contract with Eternal Press. I am working on my next novel, a business thriller, untitled as of today.

I joined goodreads because I LOVE books! I haven't read this much since I graduated from college. This network of friends has exposed me to a variety of books I otherwise would not pick up. One of the pleasant surprises of 2008 was the novel, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I can't wait to see what other good books I'll discover in 2009!

message 4: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Angela. Thank you for joining us. Good fortune on LEGS and Blood Moon Rising.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) heyhey, I'm Lauren, I want to be an fantasy/scifi author. I've always wanted to be able to have a list of everything I've ever read. :) <3 goodreads.
I love my music like I love my books, and my favorite kind is alternative and rock.

hi everyone!

message 6: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Lauren. Thank you for joining us. Enjoy.

message 7: by Wy (new)

Wy (silvermoon10) | 11 comments Hello everybody. I joined Goodreads because somebody invited me here and I love to read books. I honestly can't remember some of the books I'd read! :)

I already published my first online book under i-proclaim entitled Sunrise and Sunset: A Collection of Poetries. I gave out my real name there.

I currently submitted my manuscript to Dorrance publishing regarding my second book which is a compilation of my short stories. I just hope that they will give me a thumbs-up sign for that one.

I do not really know what to expect here for it's been a long time since I last logged in here. So I just hope that this will be a great site for us who loves to write and read good books. :)

God bless!

message 8: by Ilyn (new)

Wyoma, welcome to Happy & Brainy. Good fortune on Sunrise and Sunset: A Collection of Poetries and your book of short stories.

message 9: by Wy (new)

Wy (silvermoon10) | 11 comments Thanks Ilyn. :)

message 10: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I am wanting to be an author. I have not picked a genre yet, but I am writing a novel here on GR.

message 11: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Wyoma & Randi. I wish you all the best.

message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Hi Wyoma,
Welcome to a poet. What the world needs more of;especially in our darker than usual times Cheers! nina

message 13: by Ilyn (new)

Happy Sunday, Nina & everyone.

message 14: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Ilyn wrote: "Happy Sunday, Nina & everyone."

Ilyn, I am constantly impresssed with your sticktuitiveness. Long word but it expressed my admiration for your longevity at writing all those words; each one a milestone toward a well deserved end. My very best wishes for your success with the second novel. nina

message 15: by Ilyn (last edited Mar 01, 2009 10:59AM) (new)

My husband said the same thing about Reason Reigns.

Thank you so much, Nina. I hope to finish drafting the entire novel today. This is the updated back-cover text:

Royal Serf (draft)
By Ilyn Ross
Start: October 19, 2008

A historical and current events fiction, Royal Serf is a political thriller depicting the real-life enslavement of the world’s lifeblood, the consequent economic dislocations, and an intellectual revolution.

To free wealth and job creators relegated as royal serfs, US Presidential candidate Apollo Marianto and British Prime Minister Ian Washington shine light on the camouflage used by statists to enslave job creators: business’ Goliath image. Having a monopoly on coercive power, only the government can become a Goliath.

Government-Goliath has terrorized job creators for over a century. Corporate America is under a bipartisan dictatorship.

Apollo and Ian fight for equal inherent inalienable rights, but they are in the crosshairs of a powerful quartet and a perfect assassin. The quartet blackmails Apollo and Ian, using the British Crown Prince desirous of freeing a royal serf to tradition, duty, and public opinion: himself.

Set in the United States and the United Kingdom, mainly in the 2012 US presidential elections, the novel’s plot-theme is: a royal slave’s flight for independence, and an uncommon man’s struggle that his country’s Declaration of Independence might not perish from the Earth.

Apollo tells Americans:

“The government lords it over citizens, looting and devouring businessmen and the top 2% taxpayers. Razing its sublime mandate to protect Rights, the government has become a thug, legalizing robbery and empowering parasites.

I echo Ayn Rand. The final crossroad has come for our mixed economy: ‘either the private sector regains its freedom and starts rebuilding – or it gives up and lets the absolute state take over the shambles.’

Let us free the private sector! Join us - the MikeMilkenist Party shall constitutionalize coercion-free economics: capitalism.”

message 16: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Ilyn,

I read the last part of yor message before I read the beginning and thought you were talking about today. nina

message 17: by Wy (new)

Wy (silvermoon10) | 11 comments Nina wrote: "Hi Wyoma,
Welcome to a poet. What the world needs more of;especially in our darker than usual times Cheers! nina"

Thank you for the warm welcome, Nina. :)

message 18: by Ilyn (new)

Hi Heather. Thank you for joining us.

message 19: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Hay wrote: "hi everyone im heather and ive always loved reading and writing im so excited to join this group "

Hello, Heather..With such a pretty name and your ambition I am certain you will be a most welcome addition to our group. nina

message 20: by Dick (new)

Dick Wells | 2 comments I've been invited to a tea party. I have no idea what a tea party is.
Thoughts of Alice, or my very proper, very British, very departed mother-in-law come to mind. Enough to frighten anyone.

message 21: by Ilyn (last edited Mar 02, 2009 04:06PM) (new)

Hello Dick.

In 1773, the Tea Act placed a small tax on tea. The colonists were incensed that government claimed the power to tax tea. The Boston Tea Party was a direct challenge to the King's authority to tax any item he pleased.

message 22: by Wy (new)

Wy (silvermoon10) | 11 comments Oh yeah! I remember the Boston Tea Party. I thought that it was funny to put tax on tea. But if everybody was using it... then why not? Hehehe!! Just my opinion though.

message 23: by Ilyn (new)

Welcome to Happy & Brainy.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone.. I write, but not so much for publishing as to simply get my thoughts straight. That said I have had a few articles published in a national gardening magazine, and several webzines.

Last year I began what I am calling my Galt journey, removing myself and my support for that which I know is wrong. This includes a physical move to a small piece of property up in the mountains, where I am building my own home of my own design, using natural materials gathered from the land. Part of the motivation for the move was to free up more time for reading and writing, which I have been enjoying a great deal for the last few months.

I look forward to what this group promises to be, and thanks Ilyn for the invite!

message 25: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Brian. Welcome to Happy & Brainy. Thank you for joining us.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ilyn wrote: "I am the moderator of this group. I joined Goodreads to promote my novel, Reason Reigns. I am writing the second: Royal Serf.

Ilyn Ross is my pen name. I use one to maintain my privacy, to separ..."

That sounds like a very interesting book. We are just discussing The Town House on Norah Lofts group and it is about a serf. I need to add your book onto my to read list.

message 27: by Ilyn (new)

Thank you so much, Canary. Welcome to Happy & Brainy.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!

message 29: by Lucille (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:37AM) (new)

Lucille (surfgirl) | 23 comments Hi! I've been a member for quite sometime now, but I haven't been posting. I've been busy with work this past months. I miss posting in goodreads. It's really fun being around people who share your interests.

Greetings from half way around the world, Philippines!
Mabuhay to you all!

message 30: by Ilyn (new)

Hi Lucille. Mabuhay!

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (SherylMarasi) Angela wrote: "I am also an author. My debut novel, LEGS, was published last year. It's chick lit. My second novel, BLOOD MOON RISING, is under contract with Eternal Press. I am working on my next novel, a bu..."

Angela, and all, forgive my being naive. I have never read (or wrote) anything outside of horror or thriller. I have found myself in the middle of writing a new novel about the formation of a friendship between 5 women. Is this "chick lit". Or is there something special that gives chick lit it's snazzy title?

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (SherylMarasi) Hi all,

I'm pretty new to goodreads. I joined because I am an aspiring writer. I have written 2 novels and a screenplay so far. And, as per my previous post, am working on my 3rd novel. I have always thought of joining either a writing group or reading group, and when I heard about goodreads, I thought it would be a great fit!

This group in particular seems wonderful! I look forward to chatting with all of you :)

message 33: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Sherry. Welcome to Happy & Brainy. Good fortune on your books. Warmest regards.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (SherylMarasi) Thanks, Ilyn :)

message 35: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Sybil,

Thank you for joining us. It's nice to meet you. Congratulations and good fortune.

message 36: by Ilyn (new)

Thank you, Sybil. Yes - The Romantic Manifesto by Ayn Rand. The Literature folder of Happy & Brainy has many posts about fiction writing.

Best regards.

message 37: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (SherylMarasi) Congrats on the good turn out, Sybil.

message 38: by Malou (new)

Malou | 1 comments I joined this group because I love reading books, and I am always looking for further book recommendations!I earned my M.A. in English literature (with a focus on Irish literature). I also participated in a few writing groups. In my spare time, I write poetry. I am also a published book reviewer.

message 39: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Malou. Thank you for joining us. Good fortune on your endeavors.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,

My name is Aly. I wish I was an author, but it seems that writing will continue to be a hobby, even after school. I am only a freshman right now, but I have already planned my career. Of course, nothing is final, but I sure hope some of it is. I plan on entering the mathematics field. I will most likely be either a plain mathematician, an engineer of sorts, or a forensic accountant. I love to read and write constantly. If anyone wants to read some of my stories and give me constructive critisism, it would be helpful. I know they are probably not that good, but anyway.
Thanks,
Aly

message 41: by Ilyn (last edited Jun 11, 2009 05:24PM) (new)

Thank you for joining us, Aly. I hope you ponder my favorite poem:

THINKING
by Walter D. Wintle

If you think you are beaten, you are
.....If you think you dare not, you don’t
If you like to win, but think you can’t
.....It’s almost certain you won’t.

If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost
.....For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellow’s will
.....It’s all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
.....You’ve got to think high to rise
You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
.....You can ever win a prize.

Life’s battles don’t always go
.....To the stronger or faster man
But soon or late the person who wins
.....Is the one who thinks “I can.”

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 8 comments Is this the happy and brainy group?

message 43: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Sharon. Welcome to the Happy & Brainy group.

message 44: by Sam (last edited Jun 25, 2009 08:36AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 4 comments Hello all I've just joined this group but I've been on goodreads since December. I'm not a writer of any description (unless you count the professional reports I have to do) but I absolutely love to read and I am slowly expanding my repertoire through goodreads and groups like these

darlleniad hapus (happy reading)

:-)

message 45: by Ilyn (new)

Happy reading, Sam. Enjoy.

message 46: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen Hello everyone, I joined this group because I was intrigued by the title. I'm not on Goodreads as often as I'd like to be these days due to my workload, but when I have some free time, I can't wait to get more connected with everyone. I like to think of myself as brainy--I studied Latin during college--I'm not sure that gets me my bone fides. The question is how to be brainy without being pretentious or a snob.

I'm currently a grad student in International Relations and would like to work for the foreign service when I graduate. I also write books. I've written two: The Sage and the Scarecrow and the Lexical Funk: A Triumph of Words. If anyone wants the latter book, I've still got some copies to giveaway. Right now, when I have the time I work on my third novel, based on my experiences in Japan.

I also found out about another site Authonomy which might be of interest to fellow writers: I'm reading a fellow writer's book on the site entitled, Monkeys Kill More People. It's good so far (only on chapter 3). I have nothing more to talk about, so I guess I'll check everyone out later.

message 47: by Ilyn (last edited Jun 29, 2009 01:55AM) (new)

Hello Daniel. Welcome to Happy & Brainy. Thanks for joining us. Good fortune on your books.

message 48: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen Sam wrote: "Hello all I've just joined this group but I've been on goodreads since December. I'm not a writer of any description (unless you count the professional reports I have to do) but I absolutely love ..."

Nice to meet you Sam. What drew you to this group if you don't mind me asking?

message 49: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 8 comments Hi Ilyn, Kindness is a virtue.
I plan to have a happy day, by choice. I plan to allow some wisdoms to drop into me, as I plan to listen up for them!
Love to all here!
:) Sharon

message 50: by Ilyn (new)

Hi Sharon. Thanks. Love to you, too, and to all here.

« previous 1