Quotable Quotes discussion

Favorite quote from book you just read?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Elizabeth (candlestick) | 4 comments I just read Naked Lunch by William s. Burroughs and this is my quote that I liked best.
The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.
- William S. Burroughs, "Naked Lunch"

Any others?

message 2: by Samantha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Samantha (asteroidbuckle) | 2 comments I just finished reading Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume and the line I loved the most was, "Does koala bear poop smell like cough drops?"

I died laughing!

message 3: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Alison Oh, snap! I got this one...

"You met her, I suppose?"
"Yes. She'd make a jazzy week-end, but she'd be wearing for a steady diet."

"The plants filled the place, a forest of them, with nasty meaty leaves and stalks like the newly washed fingers of dead men."

And many, many more..."The Big Sleep", Raymond Chandler

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth (candlestick) | 4 comments The Big Sleep is on my list!
-Can't wait to read it. :)

message 5: by Aart (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Aart | 99 comments “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive”
The Zahir
Paulo Coelho

message 6: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Héctor | 228 comments "Others will dream that I am mad, and I [will dream] with the Zahir. When all men on earth think, day and night, of the Zahir, which one will be a dream and which a reality, the earth or the Zahir?"

Jorge Luis Borges, El Zahir, 1947

message 7: by Vince (new)

Vince | 29 comments "...all human progress is in a circle; or, to use a more accurate and beautiful figure, in an ascending spiral curve. While we fancy ourselves going straight forward, and attaining, at every step, an entirely new position of affairs, we do actually return to something long ago tried and abandoned, but which we now find etherealized, refined, and perfected to its ideal. The past is but a coarse and sensual prophecy of the present and the future."

-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The House of the Seven Gables

message 8: by Mackay (new)

Mackay | 8 comments "Deep in their hearts, they remembered Hell." - from Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) "Being in love and getting married, now, that's two different things" - from the Secret Life of Bees

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) "What did a person need to survive? Food. Water. Shelter. Warmth in cold weather....and something else-books." from Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 1 comments "Everything not at peace will cry out." -Lisa See, Peony in Love

message 12: by GUS BUS! (new)

GUS BUS! (Gwilly) | 1 comments "We just wanted to bone a smurf"-Christopher Moores You Suck

message 13: by Clovis (Rumell) (new)

Clovis (Rumell) Khan (rkrespectedmember) “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein