The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Watership Down

Comments Showing 1-50 of 218 (218 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jan 02, 2009 06:23PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) So far, we have four members who want to read Watership Down - GEmma, Fiona (Bugs Bunny) and Fiona (Titch), and me. Anyone else want to join us?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9817 comments Mod
I will pulling it down out of my bookshelf, but just not at this moment.... I have a few reads lined up right now that I want to get through first! But I am excited. It is a Lost related novel as well.....

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YAY, glad you'll be joining us at some point Oh Great Moderator.

Ahem. I meant Super Moderator.

:)

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yay, I shall hopefully start this tomorrow.

Can't wait. It's sitting beside me as I speak now, this rabbit eye looking at me...

I wonder what my rabbit would have been like, had she been a character from WD. Brave and impetuous I think.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I wonder how big my gun would be, and if I could ever find that WASCALLY WABBIT !!!

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) *stuffs carrot up barrel* Wots up doc?

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I need to put my Loony Tunes DVD in!

You know, the american accent I believe pronounces tunes as toons. In England we pronounce the two words differently? So of course tunes being a wordplay on toons doesn't work here as such. If I have my accents correct?

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2396 comments I'm going to start it Monday night, because I'm away this weekend and I forgot to bring ANOTHER book.

message 9: by dara (new)

dara I would jump on the chance to re-read it if not for busying myself with the winter challenge.

message 10: by Hayes (last edited Jan 02, 2009 11:11PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yes, indeed Fiona!! I remember when I started teaching an EFL class here in Rome, taking over from another teacher, who was veddy veddy British indeed... I asked if anyone in the class was new, got no answer, we hemmed around for about 5 minutes and someone finally asked me "what does noo mean?" I wrote it on the board... "Oh, nee-ew!"

PS I loved this book. I haven't got a copy to hand, or I would join you.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) So how do you say tunes Fiona? Tee-yunes?

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (thisisace) | 44 comments Laura wrote: "So how do you say tunes Fiona? Tee-yunes?"

Choons :-)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) for real?

message 14: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yep! Lol. Tchoons

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Cool. Come to think of it, I think I've heard Elton John / Phil Collins - some British musician - say it that way!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OK, so we're ready to begin! Otherwise Fiona and I are never gonna be in the same place again, I don't think.

You'll catch up with us, GEmma - I know I won't be reading this as fast as Anne of Green Gables (which I loved) because I don't have the audio version yet. So I'll be limited to times when I can actually sit down and read. And since football playoffs take place today and tomorrow, and my Ravens are playing tomorrow at 1, well, that will slow me down.

But I'm so looking forward to this!!!

My guess is it'll start pretty slow, because I've started this book a million times when I was younger and was never able to keep on with it.

SO I'm gonna use it for the Winter Challenge for Ann's Task. You could use it too Fiona, right?

I don't know the story, tho, never seen the film.

But WILL be seeing the film after I read it, def.!

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm too excited to start WD now.

Okay, I'll get dressed then crack open the first page.

message 18: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) they didn't make a film... have I been out of cultural reality or what!!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Fiona's always talking about the film - but is it a cartoon Fiona?

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Err yes they did. It's a cartoon and it is fantastic. They made it in the seventies too, so I don't know what realm of the world you have been living in. I imagine though, that maybe it isn't so well known or popular outside of the UK as it is very British.

There's also another cartoon series, but I haven't seen that.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h51wP9I...

Don't go looking at the other videos or you'll ruin the film! In fact, don't even look at the titles as there was one that kinda ruined the ending.

message 21: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Actually wait, don't watch it at all! It tells you too much!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I can't wait to watch it again after reading the book...

It's one of my favourite films.

message 23: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Looking at the cartoon series, it looks crap. Yuck.

But the 1978 movie is brilliant. The rabbits are more real and less cartoony.

message 24: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) How old is ur book? Mine is a Puffin book, so was 90p when it 1st was sold.

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Starting mine now as well.

message 26: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Also Puffin cost £1.50

How depressing!

I think my copy is the 1981 version so it's a few years older then me.

using the measuring worth site: http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

The retail price index wotsit that is worth £4.14 today.

Depressing.

message 27: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Found out mine is 1973 version lol. 2 yrs b4 I was born.

message 28: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Worth £7.84

Huh!

message 29: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Ach, never understood all that financial economic stuff.

message 30: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Aww hugs sweetie xx

GET READING BUGS

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Mine was put out by Perennial Classics in 2001 and is 479 pp. long, including the glossary. It was $13 US, but not for me....I got it at the library.

If I had to buy every book I read, I would be in the poor house in a major way.

message 32: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) You'd also probably have no room to live in your house...

Books seem to inhabit every spare nook we have in the house. We even have my grandmas old book case on the stairs. I must read some of those books. She wasn't a reader herself though, in fact I think the only reader in my mum's family is my mum.

message 33: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I got my copy from bookmooch. I also have The Tales from Watership Down which is a collection of shorter stories.

Tales from Watership Down

I got that by mistake actually, didn't even know it existed. I thought I was getting Watership Down.

Only published in 1996.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) GET READING BUGS

I'm WOOKIN for WABBITS !!!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) This is probably NOT the best avi for reading WD.

I just realized this.

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Lol!

But you have to be Elmer as I am Bugs. Though maybe we do need a daffy...

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) But this means I wanna shoot you. Hmm...

*taps toes*

Oh well. I gotta destinkify myself.

I did get on hold for the audiobook for this one. It is read by my favorite audiobook reader of all time - John MacDonald. He did the Father Tim books by Jan Karon, and Dracula too, and he is WONDERFUL!

message 38: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Audio book won't have the foot notes though will they? Does your book have footnotes?

You could never shoot me. I am too fast and crafty. And fearless!

I'm just into chapter one atm, not far but enjoying it. I can see the cartoon though in my head as I read which is nice.

message 39: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I think this book of mine is going to fall apart by the time I get to the end.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2396 comments Okay, well, I'm going to start it veryyy soon. I think I can catch up. We emus are FAST READERS.

message 41: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) *eats Emma's book*

message 42: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 10:16AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Ah! A page is coming away... nooo!

I was reading a book once, in bed, and all the pages fell out on my face. I was just left holding the cover.

message 43: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) The pages keep coming away bit by bit at the bottom whenever I turn a page. :(

Soon I'll be reading a page and it'll just fall off before I can read another.

That happened when I was reading Dracula too. Every few pages one would just come away in my hand.

message 44: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I love the language used, I'm up to chapter seven now. The movie is very close to it so far.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Blast you Wabbit!

Of course, my husband has drafted me into helping him clean today. My favorite thing to do!

*pings Bugs on his cottontail*

message 46: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Ow!

*throws carrots at Elmers husband*

Does your hub know he is now married to Elmer Fudd?

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) He kinda likes Elmer Fudd, so I think I'm OK there ;)

Re #38: I listened to and read JS & MN, and the audio version had all the footnotes, so I bet this one will too.

I wish I could just sit & read this! And I promised that boy I'd make him a stew too. UGH. Well almost done w/the cleaning. The only good game on tonight is the Colts, maybe I can read and watch that at the same time. It won't matter if I miss some of that one.

message 48: by Fiona (last edited Jan 03, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) What I don't get about football, is why don't you just wait until the next day and get the score on the papers, or on the net after the match?

You can see I'm not really a fan... but I'd get just as much enjoyment out of reading the scores :P

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Well, since I think in this case that the Colts w/prob win, and we'll prob be playing them next weekend, cause I think we'll beat the Dolphins tomorrow afternoon. So I wanna get a good look at Peyton Manning, cuz I've heard he's throwing lots better than he was earlier in the season when we played them (& unfortunately lost).

They beat us in '06 in the first game of the playoffs, the little b@$t@rds. So I'm really hoping the Chargers take them out tonite (tho I doubt it).

message 50: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I wish we had a book Olympics. :/

« previous 1 3 4 5