Broadway Musical Lovers! discussion

Musical of The Month

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (BrOdWayStAr) | 14 comments Mod
Okay so how about this? Each mouth we will vote on a musical once we have decided what that musical is, everyone will have the chance to research and study about it. Listen to some of the music, watch the performance, have fun. We can talk and discuss our opinons on it.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments i vote for phantom of the opera...i haven't seen that one in quite some time...and i love the music!

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Colvin (colvinh) I love Phantom of the Opera tooo! I like Miss Saigon, tarzan, Jane Eyre, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Scarlet Pimpernel, Lion King, and I could name hundreds more.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Ture phantom of the opera is an extremly great one, but it is soooo over done. so idk i guess we could. I really like Aida thats a great one.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Colvin (colvinh) It is overdone. I like Aida also.

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 16 comments Aida is great! i also like Miss Saigon a lot too!

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Colvin (colvinh) Miss saigon is awesome! ;)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

well i have never actually seen that show soooo....who all votes on Miss Saigon as the musical of the month?

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Colvin (colvinh) I do!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments i've heard some of the songs, and have seen the opera (madama butterfly) that miss saigon was based on, so i'm gonna have to agree w/sarah and hannah!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments wait! what month is going to be for?? this month or january???

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Lets go this month! wooot!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I like this idea! Anyone want to revive it? I'd nominate: Into the Woods, Tanz der Vampire (English subbed videos available on youtube), or Chicago.

message 14: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments INTO THE WOODS!!!!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments ☺Caleb☻ wrote: "INTO THE WOODS!!!!!"

Ok, yay! I love Into the Woods! It's one of my favorites. :D What's your favorite song in it?

message 16: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments I dont exactly know I think I like all of them lol but I do like, On the steps of the palace and Children will listen, and No More, and Into the Woods....!!!!Its strange that once I had heard of Stephen Sondheim because of Into the woods I saw his name everywhere he did the lyrics for gypsy,and he did sweeney todd, and I also saw a funny thing happened on the way to the forum it was strange, and now I have to see A little night music, and Sunday in the park with george. Have you seen any of those?????

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments My favorite songs are Agony, Agony (Reprise), and Giants in the Sky. Sondheim is what got me into musical theatre! West Side Story (the movie) was my first musical, and Sweeney Todd was the one to really push me over the edge into obsession. I've seen Sweeney Todd, Gypsy, West Side Story, Sunday in the Park with George, and Company. I plan on seeing A Little Night Music soon, once I finish the other shows on my list...my very long list....

message 18: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments how were sunday in the park with george, and company?
I know that Elizabeth Taylor is the one in A little night music that sings send in the clouds which is strange because I have never before then heard that she was in any musicals.....oh and I do like Giants in the sky I couldnt remember all the names to the songs because I have only seen the whole thing through once because I had just bought it at the beginning of May..... = ]

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments Sunday in the Park with George is okay. It's not my favorite, but it's still good. My favorite songs from it are "It's Hot Up Here" and "Putting it Together".

Company is very good! I really enjoyed that one! If you're interested, I think that the whole show is up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list...

I don't know too much about A Little Night Music...who's Elizabeth Taylor?

You're so lucky to own Into the Woods. I can only watch it on youtube. I see most of my musicals on youtube. :)

message 20: by ☺Caleb☻ (last edited Jul 21, 2009 11:27AM) (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments oh I buy most my musicals lol I own now probably almost 45 and my parents well my dad doesnt understand why I like musicals but all my mother ever says is that I shouldnt be spending my money on earthly things... you dont know who Elizabeth Taylor is?????? shes the main girl in national velvet, and is cleopatra in cleopatra, and she is the main lady in the Taming of the Shrew with Richard Burton....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I buy the cast albums to musicals, but I don't own any DVDs, except the the Sweeney Todd movie, which I got for my brother, even though he never watches it now. My parents are fine with my obsession. My mom says that it's my money, so I can spend it as I like. :) And I thinks that she prefers me getting music to me going out to the mall and spending $120 on a jacket from American Eagle as most girls my age that I know do.

I don't know a lot of TV and movie actors. I can name almost all of the actors in any of my cast recordings, along with anything they've been in, but I can never remember most TV and movie actors.

message 22: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments have you seen the stage version of sweeney todd with angela lansbury, she was the teapot in the disney beauty and the beast, also she was the princess in the Court Jester??? in that version they had all the songs that werent in the jhonny depp one..I actually have only seen the one with johnny depp. Oh and have you seen anything with Sarah Brightman???

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I love the stage version of Sweeney Todd!! It is absolutely amazing! I was really upset with the Johnny Depp movie when I realized how much they cut (They never actually say "God, that's good" in the movie version of "God, that's good".) I was absolutely shocked when I found out that Mrs. Lovett was played by the same person who played Mrs. Potts!

I only know of Sarah Brightman from Phantom of the Opera. What else has she been in?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments So, Into the Woods is the Musical of the Month?

message 25: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments well she was in the very disturbing Repo the Genetic Opera you know so was the main girl from spy kids, uuuummmm Cats
The Pirates of Penzance
Aspects of Love ,and she sings alot of the songs on the Andrew Loydd Webber cds....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I've seen Cats (regrettably), but I haven't seen the others

message 27: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments YOU HAVENT SEEN PIRATES OF PENZANCE???????? and what didnt you like about cats??

message 28: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Jul 22, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I haven't seen Pirates of Penzance, what is it about?

I couldn't find a plot in Cats. It also seemed really, annoyingly repetetive.

message 29: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments Pirates of penzance is a musical by gilbert and sullivan ( I copied this from wikipedia) The story concerns Frederic, who, having completed his 21st year, is released from his apprenticeship to a band of tenderhearted pirates. He meets Mabel, the daughter of Major-General Stanley, and the two young people fall instantly in love. Frederic finds out, however, that under he was born on February 29, and so, technically, he only has a birthday each leap year. His apprenticeship indentures state that he remains apprenticed to the pirates until his 21st birthday, and so he must serve for another 63 years. Mabel agrees to wait for him faithfully.

the songs are really good its basically a comedy I have only seen an old stage recording my sister saw it on stage at college a visiting theater group preformed it, and she says that on stage is the only way to really enjoy it.... so its frustrating that I have only seen it on dvd..... >emo tear< (not emo just use the expression alot)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments That sounds really interesting. I'll add it to my list...my list is growing very quickly

message 31: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments = ] my list is pretty long but mostly its dvds, one thing about broadway is that you want to see on show and go to new york expecting to be able to see it and find out its not playing I wish they had a theater for each musical and they played them all but that would be expensive.....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments That's where you book the tickets ahead of time :P

message 33: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments yeah I guess I'll just have to be really rich so I can see everything I guess the show I want to see most right now is wicked... but I want to see it with the original cast I like kristen chenoweth even though all these people say that she isnt half as good as the lady thats dong galinda right now I thought she was good in the music man.....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments I'd like to see Wicked, but if I had to choose from all of what's playing right now, I would choose West Side Story or Phantom of the Opera, and I wish that I could've seen Pia Douwes in Chicago as Velma. She played in 2003 (I think) on Broadway. I've seen some of the clips, and she was fantastic! She is my favorite Velma

message 35: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments oh Ive only seen the movie of chicago but I really like the movie versions of west side story and POTO I think I would like the movie version of west side story better than on stage but I would like to see POTO...

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments The stage version of Chicago is amazing! The movie had cut several song, including my favorite, Class. The movie of West Side Story was the first musical related thing that I ever saw, so it holds a special place in my heart. :D I liked the movie of Phantom of the Opera, but I'd love to see it on stage. I think that the chandelier scene would be a lot more impressive on stage.

message 37: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments yeah and I always wondered how they would do the part when theyre going down to his lair I saw a picture of Sarah Brightman as christine and she was in a boat on water...... they do such cool things on stage I have to see something before I die..... = [

message 38: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Jul 22, 2009 11:30AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments The thing on stage that I must see on stage before I die is Rebecca. They set the stage on fire! It's very impressive and I hope they keep that detail when they bring it to Broadway this spring. :D

I hope they have Uwe come over here to play Maxim, although it's not very likely. I've seen clips of him on youtube...he sings Kein Lacheln war je so kalt fantasticly! I love him. He's my favorite German actor, and one of my favorite actors in general.

message 39: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments oh my that sounds very exciting I'll have to look it up....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments If you're interested, here is the flaming stage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPZPN...
"Manderley in Flammen" starts at about 3:05. The dark-haired girl is saying something along the lines of "Look at the horizon. It must be dawn" and Uwe replies "That's not dawn. It's Manderley". That is NOT and exact translation. It is just what I remember from the book and the English demo.

Kein Lacheln war je so kalt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JArU...
You don't want to know that translation unless you want one of the plot twists spoiled.

Uwe is fantastic. Amazing. The best.

message 41: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments that was cool lol I liked the person running in the background!!!!! = ]

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments Yeah, I believe that that's Mrs. Danvers. She is a very creepy character, but in a cool way.

message 43: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments gawsh now I have to see that and Elisabeth and all those others....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 153 comments Ha, I have a link to a highlights version of Rebecca if you'd like.

message 45: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) | 52 comments yeah I check it out = ]