The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > The December book is...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Holidays on Ice was the clear winner.

Yea new book!

As for the classic book to be paired with it, what is the general consensus? The next three were all within a few points of each other, so I thought it'd be a good idea to discuss it.

The three possibilities are:
A Christmas Carol
Little Women
The Portable Dorothy Parker

Any other month I'd be right there with those of you that put The Portable Dorothy Parker as your first choice. But remember, it has 640 pages and no matter how short the other book is, that is a lot of reading for the month... especially for those that have other book clubs on top of holiday celebrations.

We could simply go with a holiday theme and go with A Christmas Carol, which is also the shortest book of the three, we could take on Little Women which still has a bit of holiday cheer and is of medium length, or we could run the rails and jump in the deep end with The Portable Dorothy Parker.

The other question would be could we really consider Dorothy Parker as classic when she only died in 1967? (And all you youn'uns out there don't be saying that so incredibly long ago!)

So tell us what you think!

message 2: by Janet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Janet Mitchell | 19 comments I really do want to read the Portable Dorothy Parker, but I am fine about putting if off until after the holidays. That said, I would prefer A Christmas Carol over Little Women. Sedaris and Dickens seem like they would have been friends and enjoyed the irony of life together. Little Women is just such a total shift, not to mention a slight downer.

A Christmas Carol and Holidays on Ice

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) I agree about putting Dorothy Parker off until later.

As for Christmas Carol over Little Women, I would prefer to have two clearly holiday-themed books paired together. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because I haven't read Christmas Carol for several years, but I would prefer it over Little Women when paired with Holidays on Ice.

My vote is Christmas Carol.

message 4: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I would have to say Christmas Carol also. December is a very busy month. Looking forward to the discussion!!

message 5: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I say Dorothy Parker or A Christmas Carol. My only fear is Carol is short & so is Holidays. I could probably read both of those books on a good night. Haha. Then I have the rest of the month to read books by myself :( It really matters not to me. If I could vote like I wanted to without trying to please everyone else, I would vote DOROTHY PARKER. (How do you do bold-face? That's cool.)

message 6: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Tiffany Borders here I come! And I'm probably the unpopular vote here, but I'm sticking with Little Women. I just don't know how into Dickens I would get.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I say DICKENS! You people need to get over your Dickensaphobia! LOL.

Alison... you do this but with no spaces:

< b > before text < /b > after text. Change it to an i to italicize.

message 8: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Thanks, Sarah!

message 9: by Dottie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I think going shorter would make sense at this time of year. I'm not going to be going all out for just the two of us for Christmas but I am planning to at least HAVE a Christmas which we really have been rather hit and miss about for several years around here. I am in the mood for a bit of the real thing so A Christmas Carol seems right to me. I'll haul the Sedaris out of the library soon -- I've not read any of his not even the one the older daughter gave her father for Christmas a couple years ago -- so this will be an adventure.

I love seeing this process you do to choose the books -- it seems to work very nicely for this group. And I like your choice of the pairing of new to classic. But as far as classic label for the Parker -- sure -- definition of a classic could loosely be a classic as of long-standing plus a writer/work which will likely become aa classic of long-standing. And I think Parker has nearly reached that level already here even if not world-wide.

message 10: by Arielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I'm not anti-Dickens or anything, but I must say...LITTLE WOMEN!! It's got plenty of holiday spirit! But it's been a while since I had anything to do with the original Christmas Carol (Scrooged, anyone?), so it would be ok to read that one too.

message 11: by Amy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Amy | 74 comments Even though I'm biased towards Little Women (my mom named me after Amy), I vote for Christmas Carol. Putting Dickens and Sedaris together will be a hoot.

message 12: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Sera I vote for Dickens - no matter how things end up, I am reading A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations this month.

I was at the book store today, and there is a Dickens book entitled "The Christmas Books". It has all of his holiday-themed books, starting with, of course, A Christmas Carol.

message 13: by Jen Manning (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Jen Manning | 34 comments A Christmas Carol!

message 14: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I am so Excited! I usually listen to Holidays on Ice during the Holidays, but I found a pretty copy at Goodwill months ago and snatched it up! Although I am president of the I love Dorothy Parker fan club, I agree about waiting until January and vote for A Christmas Carol. Oooh! Bookstore trip!

message 15: by Brooke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Brooke I'm going to read Holidays on Ice.(if I can get it at the library) And opt out of a second book this month because of the holidays.

message 16: by Emily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Emily | 60 comments Although I love Dorothy Parker, I'm going to vote for A Christmas Carol. I agree with Janet I think Dickens and Sedaris would have been great friends! Hope that we do Parker after the New Year though if we don't read her now.

message 17: by Amber (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Amber | 3 comments A Christmas Carol for me.

message 18: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Okay gang, the consensus seems to be A Christmas Carol for our second book... so let's read!

Sorry all who wants the others, but those that want to read Little Women, this month could still do so and discuss it here as well.

I'm thinking The Portable Dorothy Parker will likely be a selection soon, so you might wait on that one. But hey, all such discussions are welcome, just be sure that you make sure that the title of the thread is clear about the topic and that each posting scrolls down for spoilers.

message 19: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, I just had to make this comment now so Sarah can get her gloating in now and be done with it when we actually discuss this book.

I'm actually ENJOYING reading A Christmas Carol. Maybe it's because I have a kid now and it's making me nostalgic for Christmases of old. Or maybe now that I've got a few more classics under my belt the language thing doesn't bother me. But I'm actually enjoying reading this story.

If you haven't gotten this book yet, I really recommend the P. Lynch illustrated version. The pictures are gorgeous and give the story a more fantastical feel. I feel like I'm reading a Christmas story rather than an old classic.

Anyway, Sarah, you have 7 days to rub it in. That's all I'll allow you :P

PS. Although I'm just started on Marly's Ghost, so I may have a different opinion. But honestly, this is the section that I always hated in the movies, so I have a feeling it's only going to get better. oy.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Gloat? Who, me?

Seriously, I'm just glad you're liking it. But did you say it was a translated version too? Into more modern English? Or was that someone else?

message 21: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Meghan I thought it was a translated version, but it's not. It's the original prose.

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) YAY! Well, I'm glad you like it. I really think everyone will. Like I have said, not all Dickens is for everyone, but A Christmas Carol is, in my opinion, the easiest to read.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.