Dystopias and Social Critiques discussion

Tick Tick Tick Tick... Dystopia Approaching

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) A "cyber cold war" waged over the world's computers threatens to become one of the biggest threats to security in the next decade, according to a report published on Thursday.

About 120 countries are developing ways to use the Internet as a weapon to target financial markets, government computer systems and utilities, Internet security company McAfee said in an annual report.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNew...

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy (4ndyman) | 10 comments Which is why people now in their, oh, early forties and and younger need to start wresting the reins of government from the now aging career politicians. I don't think most of these older guys and gals can keep up.

Part of the article was about cyber-attacks "coming from" a certain country, and then the government of that country denying any wrong-doing. I kept thinking about how easy it is these days for someone decently well-versed in how the Internet works to misdirect a search for a culprit. Covering your electronic tracks is too easy. If someone wanted to start a REAL war with, say, China, they could launch some cyber-attacks and make it LOOK like they came from China and then go on the attack (there's a story idea for ya).

It's like seeing a bank shot in a basketball game, pointing at the backboard, and saying "That backboard just made a great shot!"

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2008 06:53AM) (new)

Wow...well, Einstein did say that World War Four's weapon of choice will be throwing rocks.

The Internet has provided another world for us to make our lives easier (but happier??) Friends on the other side of the world are easily accessible from our rooms with email, backpacking is a cinch where you can just buy your next flight or book your hotel rooms online (Che, Kerouac and all the other original backpackers did it the difficult way), paying bills online, etc. The Internet has made our world very, very small. Funny, my friend was telling me how is it that a girl posting all her information on Myspace doesn't know if a man on the other side of the world is tracking her every post, comment, picture for months or years. So is the case with our nations...it's like every nation has its own Myspace page.

Then, there is the downside of this online world--yes, tracks are too easily covered up. There is this whole anonymous characteristic to it that didn't exist back in the day when espionage resulted from actual physical bodies doing the work, ie spies, moles, etc.

Sometimes it seems that with new inventions/concepts comes new problems that leave us more inconvenienced.