Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Now this just pisses me off...(actually a pretty congenial convo about North Easterners)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17305 comments Mod
Oh, something wicked should strike down this asshole bus driver. I haven't read the story yet so I might just come back to edit this. But W T F !?!?! You just don't do that. You do not leave helpless HUMAN BEINGS alone like that. Not in winter. Not all night. Not on New Years.

My blood is fucking boiling about this right now.

Special Needs Patient Left Alone Overnight on Frigid Bus

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Outstanding Transport, indeed!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I heard about this...I don't understand...was he asleep? Did they forget him? Did they leave him on the bus on purpose?

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Hey, it's New York. You're not supposed to give a crap about anybody but yourself there. It's a longstanding custom.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It sounded like the one new he was there, and the bus driver didn't, but don't you do a check of the bus before you leave it.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, you think you would, Jim....

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments He was asleep, and the driver's helper knew he was there, but didn't tell the driver because the helper had an appointment she had to get to, and she didn't want to retrace the route.
Fortunately, the guy has recovered.
Leslie Rivera told News 12 she would like to put the incident behind her and is now focused on her brother's condition.

"He is doing much better," she said. "He perked up. He started singing."

Awww!

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) hey, Larry, that's a stereotype (about NY) that I don't think bears out (having lived there).

message 9: by Félix (last edited Jan 02, 2009 02:15PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Oh, I know, Jessica. But I've known a lot of people from that area who have this hard shell around them. You know, that idea that if you show kindness you're showing weakness?

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) but people are incredibly helpful in NYC, they're loud, sometimes to the point of appearing rude, and so forth, but if you're lost, in need of directions, what have you, you'd be surprised at how much they go out of their way. That was my experience there, time after time...

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments I believe you.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard people in Nebraska all follow the Cornhuskers and want to marry Warren Buffett.

:)

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Ha! That's a good one! Score!!

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Larry believes me, yay!
I feel :)

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments ::senses sarcasm::

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) not at all. actually.
that's the issue with email, tone gets lost.
I was being sincere!

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments OK. I believe you. (Isn't this where we started?)

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Random swing of the convo, there RA. Cornhuskers?

Actually, two friends of Matt's broke up last summer and gave us the entire contents of their house for a wedding present,

I'm serious, we got a vacuum, dishes, a couch, tables, liquor and food galore!

We were told to clean out their kitchen and take anything we wanted, neither of them was coming home for the rest of the summer. We got all these steaks and drinks and stuff. But we also got some of the weirdest, most random Nebraska foodstuffs ever.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Re: Nebraska
I'm not from here. I just live here. Grew up somewhere far away. Come here thinking I'd never stay long, I'd be going back soon someday.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) so where'd you grow up?

message 21: by Félix (last edited Jan 02, 2009 02:37PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments New York (State) -- near Albany.

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I visited NYC and upstate NY and thought the people there were soooo friendly and accomodating. Although, I have been told that New Yorkers love a gal with a southern accent.

The only rudeness I ever encountered while in the northeast was in Brattleboro, VT. I can say, though, I think it was an isolated incident.

The person who was rude to my family and me (we were trying to find a public restroom because I was about to explode and person at the information booth IGNORED us while having a personal conversation with someone standing at the window talking to her. We waited in line for 20 minutes, not an exaggeration, to get the answer, "Not here. You'll have to drive around town." at the information booth. We had to pry an answer from her with more specific information and directions.). Everyone else in Brattleboro was very nice to us, especially at the town co-op, where we eventually stopped at my suggestion. By then, the whole family was uncomfortable like me, and I was on the verge of tears... with needing to go to the restroom.

message 23: by Jessica (last edited Jan 02, 2009 02:43PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) ha, that's funny Larry. so your remarks about NY were coming from personal experience/knowledge.

I live not far from Albany.

message 24: by Jessica (last edited Jan 02, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Heidi, that's funny....my family (mother, brother) lives near Brattleboro. I think that's New England reserve....Connecticut is the worst (imo) of the New England states.

message 25: by Félix (last edited Jan 02, 2009 02:50PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Ex lives in Saratoga Springs, daughter in Holyoke, Mass.

Yes, Heidi, there are nice people everywhere. (Even Poughkeepsie Arkansas!) It's always dangerous to make broad statements about personalities and locations. It's really luck of the draw in who you happen to run into on any particular day.

I'll never forget the one and only Yankee game I attended (Yankee Stadium). I was about 12 or so, and not especially extraverted. I went to the hot dog stand and stood there waiting for the guy to ask me what I wanted. He never did! All these people kept coming up and shouting out what they wanted, and he'd serve them and ignore me. Finally a man said, "Hey kid! You better tell him what you want or you'll never get anything!" A good lesson for how to be a New Yorker, I've always thought.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) that's a great story Lar.
Is there really a Poughkeepsie in Arkansas?
I thought it was just in NY..we call it Po-town.

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Jan 02, 2009 03:48PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Well, it goes without saying, I continually reinforced it to my grandmother during our vacation to the northeast last summer when someone would do or say something nice while we were guests there. "People here are sooo nice." That sort of thing. She doesn't trust "yankees," is fairly racist (don't get me going on how THAT gets under my skin), and assumed we'd have a hard time around the northeast while on our vacation. In the same breath, I think rudeness could be found anywhere, as well, Larry. I recognized my one and only bad experience in VT was an isolated incident. I tend to give everyone the benefit of doubt. For people who tend to generalize (like my grandmother, an older southerner who distrusts everyone who doesn't talk like her), first impressions really can be everything. I wanted to make sure she didn't walk away remembering that one incident of rudeness in Brattleboro. It was a beautiful town (the view of the mountains behind the main street is breathtaking) and the shops were fun to visit. I like visiting places that are off the beaten path. It's all just a matter of perspective, really.

message 28: by Charly (new)

Charly Heidi,
That was probably because she was working.
Please don't judge New England by any one experience.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Well -- tourists aren't always appreciated for their social graces and empathy for the lives of the locals. In other words, rude tourists can make for rude locals at times.

When I lived in Lancaster County, PA, people from New York would come around asking, "Where do you keep those Amish people around here?' -- as if they were hired actors or farmyard animals we kept in pens.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 03, 2009 05:31AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I live in Wisconsin. The state has a major inferiority complex. Please be careful when mentioning the Packers, cheese, Fonzie, or how everyone in our fair state supposedly weighs 600 pounds in our presence.

When I was in Germany in the late eighties and people found I was from Chicago they had one of two reactions:

1) Michael Jordan! Michael Jordan!

2) Al Capone! Boom Boom!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

When I was in Spain in the late 90s people had absolutely no reaction whatsoever when I told them I was from Colorado. None.
Mountains? nothing. Cowboys? nothing.

All they wanted to talk about was Hillary Clinton's opinion of Monica Lewinsky.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24191 comments Well, Sally, it's a question of priorities, after all. Oval office blowjobs trump mountains every time! Get with the program, here.