Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments "Laughter is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain."
-Charlie Chaplin

Comic relief at: ====>
http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_de...

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 07, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Can't remember where I found the following cartoon, but I found it amusing.
Photobucket

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments Ouch!

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments How's this for "Ouch!" ===>

Photobucket

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Eddie got a new computer last week. I had to call tech support because we were having trouble connecting to the server. I was sweating bullets before the call was over. Those fussy settings remind me of brain surgery. :-(

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments Computers are supposed to have no sense of humor, Joy. Pray they never develop one. I have a feeling it would be very low humor.

Lately, I've seen some glimmerings of that starting. I have a laptop here that works just fine all over - unless one particular user takes it to his area & tries to use the wireless networking. Then it crashes.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 07, 2009 12:13PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Don't say the word "crash" out loud.
It's a 5 letter word. They're worse than 4 letter words. (lol)

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Don't say the word "crash" out loud."

My son sent me a link to a video about how shouting at a disk drive could actually make it read/write slower. It's the vibrations. They're on such tight tolerances that loud noises can actually slow them down. Amazing.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments That IS amazing. Funny though... when I shout at my husband, it seems to speed him up. (g)

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments When The Boss shouts at me, it generally has a negative effect. I get balky - just like a computer. Hmmm...

One year, I either didn't have the money or the time to get my hair cut & it was long from the winter. It's never a high priority for me, anyway. Mom & Marg both nagged me. I told them one more word & I wouldn't cut it. They did, I didn't - for over 6 years. It was down to the middle of my back. I don't get nagged any more.

message 11: by Iris (new)

Iris | 4 comments I especially love the second cartoon! I think I would even add a line about a menu-driven technical support, which ultimately leads to outsourced technical support which ultimately leads to be disconnected. I have actually experienced it--it is torture!!! Got to laugh though

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim - We don't nag. We motivate. (g)

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Iris!
I've never heard of menu-driven tech support. It must be another torture device. Getting disconnected is the final blow!

How about when you call to speak to a live-person and they tell you that you can solve your problems by going to their website. A-a-rgh!

message 14: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I like the one here: ====>
http://www.glasbergen.com/images/g628...

Hits very close to home.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments Joy,
"Yes, Dear."
(The married man's refuge. Don't disagree, just 'yes, dear' them until they leave you alone!)
;-)

Phone menus are indeed a little piece of Hell on Earth. I know, I make them. Trying to make them less hellish is an art. Since they're available, management wants to use them, because they think you can get rid of the receptionist then & spread the load out among the admins & assistants. Yuck!!!

Luckily, we don't have any voice driven ones. Those are guaranteed to drive you wild. There's a list on the web somewhere about how to get around a lot of the menus. Can't recall the name off hand, but I think I have it at work. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow. Dinner now.

message 16: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 08, 2009 04:27PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: Joy, "Yes, Dear."
(The married man's refuge. Don't disagree, just 'yes, dear' them until they leave you alone!) ;-)

Hey! Eddie is always saying "Yes, Dear". You mean he doesn't mean it? (g)

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Oh, now I realize what phone menus are, at least the "voice driven". (Is there another kind?) I hate them. We waste so much time listening to phone menus. Another device which puts people out of jobs.

message 18: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Is this you?

Desks

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6135 comments Not me. Too organized. I'm always finding 'reminders' under the keyboard where I can't see them. The perfect place for them, no?

message 20: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Friends see me as an organized person. The truth is that every plan I devise eventually becomes too difficult to keep up with and I'm back to square one. However, I persevere... even though it's like shoveling you-know-what against the tide.

As for reminders, I find that they pile up until they're impossible to deal with.

When it comes right down to it, I find that things take on a natural priority and it's the demand of that priority which determines what gets done when.

Then there's always "crisis management"... if we wait for a crisis, the job gets done out of simple necessity.

Quotations:
"If it weren't for the last minute, a lot of things wouldn't get done!"
-from a fridge magnet

"One of the greatest labor-saving inventions of today is tomorrow."
-Vincent Foss, sociologist

"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
-Source unknown

As for laziness, my theory is that there is no such thing as laziness. There is only lack of motivation for various reasons, some of them being: feeling overwhelmed, feeling tired, feeling confused, fear, discouragement, boredom, etc. There are so many deterrents to our feeling motivated. I feel that it's wrong to use the word lazy, which only heaps guilt upon all our other troubles. We all know that we will work for hours at something we enjoy doing. So the trick is to get ourselves motivated, to overcome the lack of motivation which some people wrongly call laziness.

So the next time you feel lazy, remember that there is no such thing as laziness.

message 21: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments For a good daily cartoon, go here: ====>
http://www.glasbergen.com/

Here's a sample: ====>

Photobucket

message 22: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments A bit of humor for this 25th day of January, 2009: ====>
http://home.grandecom.net/~eacalame/a...