secular homeschooling discussion

It's Perfectly Normal

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 9 comments Mod
I think I'd better make a discussion thread for this book, because for some reason, the "Why this book?" isn't displayed anywhere in the group.

My 9 year old daughter checked this out of the library without my seeing it. She read it, had a few questions, but didn't seem the least bit embarrassed by it. So I read it, and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed, but I think 9 might be a little young for most kids.

It covers just about everything a kid needs to know about sex and growing up, in a VERY straightforward fashion. Topics include: gender, sexual desire, sexual intercourse, homosexuality, sex organs, puberty, masturbation, making babies, pregnancy and birth, abstinence, birth control, abortion, sexual abuse, and STDs. There were a lot of naked cartoon characters, so not everyone will be comfortable with the book, but I felt it was done tastefully, and I'm a royal prude.

I wish I'd had this book when my oldest started her period. It was only a few weeks after her 10th birthday, so I was caught off guard. I turned into a stuttering idiot trying to explain it to her, while she sat there in tears. I'll be ready with my younger girls.

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina (midwifegina) Yes, we have this one as well as "It's So Amazing" for a younger crowd. My oldest is appalled every time I suggest he read it, so I just keep leaving it around hoping when he's on his own he'll pick it up. LOL. I may be the only midwife whose kids will not know where babies come from if I can't get them to at least read something if not talk about sex. ;)

message 3: by Teri (new)

Teri | 1 comments With my daughter, I started sex ed when she was about 13, and she was so embarrassed that I think it was traumatic for her. So I introduced "It's So Amazing" to my son when he was a toddler. He loves science and biology and therefore really enjoyed the book as he was too young to really understand the social angle or be embarrassed about it. I am hoping that introducing the topic earlier rather than later will pay off when we reach the "It's Perfectly Normal" stage, although I am not really sure when that will be...before age 13, for sure!

They really are great books, in my opinion. The problem for me is probably my own hangups about when and how to introduce them.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Herr (PatriciaEllisHerr) | 1 comments Tracy wrote: "I think I'd better make a discussion thread for this book, because for some reason, the "Why this book?" isn't displayed anywhere in the group.

My 9 year old daughter checked this out of the lib..."

This looks like a wonderful resource. I'll keep this in mind for when my girls are a little bit older -- many thanks for posting this information!