And Now For Something Completely Different discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (fictiontheory) | 14 comments Mod
This is the thread for introducing yourself. Feel free to mention your favorite obscure, undiscovered SF/F work or author as well!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Sherrod (katesherrod) | 3 comments I want to give a shout out to Jeff Spock. I just came across him in the latest issue of Interzone. His story "Everything That Matters" really got to me. Something about a 70-foot-long alien shark biting a guy in half will do that.

I'm mostly a fan of people like Philip K. Dick and Alastair Reynolds and William Gibson, but I've always got my eye out for something new. Wow me!

message 3: by Meg (new)

Hey there K8e. I guess we're the only ones here right now, but I hope others will join. And good authors, btw! I think Dick and Gibson particularly don't get nearly enough appreciation in the SF/F world, what do you think?

message 4: by Meg (new)

Hey, I'm Meg. I started the group because I wanted to talk about new authors and authors who hadn't gotten really popular yet.

Right now, some of my favorites are people like Elizabeth Bear and C.E. Murphy, because I'm on a fantasy kick. I also really adore Jay Lake. But as SF goes, I really like John Scalzi (my fiancee adores him even more).

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Sherrod (katesherrod) | 3 comments I keep getting Amazon recommendations for John Scalzi but I haven't risen to the bait yet. What's he like? I'm prose-picky but do still value cool ideas even if not elegantly expressed.

message 6: by Meg (new)

You're the same as me then. Scalzi's prose is not poetic or anything spectacular, but it doesn't distract and isn't awkward. It's lean and functional most times. The first person narration in The Last Colony is fairly enjoyable.

The story and the characters are compelling, most of all.

Again, my fiancee is the bigger fan, but I like him to. It's worth checking out.

Prose-wise, Elizabeth Bear is elegant (if sometimes too elegant) and complex. But her stories can sometimes leave the reader baffled, and they're not very accessible, because they require a lot of brainpower. Try "Dust" by her, it's SFnal and a relatively easier read than, say, "Blood and Iron" - which I think is actually so esoteric in place as to be absurd on the author's part for having written it!

message 7: by Atlas (new)

Atlas (boxofpearls) | 1 comments Hello everyone!
I guess I joined this group because I am looking for new or different authors to read, also to expand my reading a bit!
I read a little bit of everything, so just looking for new authors and new people to meet.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 4 comments I really enjoy charles de Lint

message 9: by Amanda (last edited May 03, 2009 06:18PM) (new)

Amanda | 5 comments Hi everyone!! Just introducing myself, I love reading (Surprise,surprise) and am mostly into steampunk and other fant/sf with an occasional horror story one in a while.
I just finished an amazing book called "The Court of the Air" by Stephen Hunt. For anyone looking for somthing different this book is a treat. LOVED IT!

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Hi all! Just came across this group after posting a review of The Magicians and Mrs. Quent. The Hunt novel you just mentioned in sitting in my pile of June novels right now, actually.

Charles de Lint is also one of my favorite novelists, though I think that a lot of his work has become somewhat stale and predictable of late. Still, I usually grab anything he's done, and I'm always looking for new novelists in the same vein.

Other favorites: Jonathan Carroll, Patricia McKillip, Neil Gaiman, Tim Powers -- I pretty much grab anything they write.

I've recently gotten really interested in steampunk -- I've got an anthology and a novel by Jeff Vandermeer in my June novel pile as well.

message 11: by Sandy (last edited Jul 24, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Sandy Hi,

I read a lot of fantasy, mystery, and horror and some Sci-Fi and PNR. I'm always looking for new authors to read.

Some of my favorite authors are Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Jim Butcher, lilith Saintcrow and Steven Havill.

message 12: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk I don't read as much SF as I used to, but want to get back into it. A friend turned me on to John Scalzi last year, and I've loved everything of his that I've read. I tend to return to authors that I've always loved (Niven, Ellison, Chalker, Heinlein), and I'm not sure what's new out there that's worth buying, whcih is why I joined this group.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) Hi all!

I'm Paul, I read all sorts but always return to SF.

My favorite genre authors are Iain Banks, Ken McLeod, Sheri Tepper, Paul MacAuley, Charlie Stross among many others, along with Joseph Conrad, Kate Atkinson, Umberto Eco, Dashiell Hammett and Dennis Lehane.

Audrey - I've just read the Extraordinary Engines steampunk anthology. Mostly really enjoyed it. Let us know what you think.