Finish Line 2009! > Alicia's 2009 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 2009 List

1. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, Vicki Myron

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 2. sTORI Telling, Tori Spelling

message 3: by Amy (last edited Jan 05, 2009 11:29AM) (new)

Amy | 11 comments Alicia wrote: "2009 List

1. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, Vicki Myron "

OOh I so want to read this book. Please post a review when you are done!

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I enjoyed Dewey, but was a little disappointed. I had read Marley & Me this summer and LOVED it. Dewey not so much. I don't know if it is because I am more a dog person than a cat person or what but I didn't feel a huge connection to the animal. Parts were touching and sweet and it made me wish I was able to go the library and visit Dewey, but I felt a lot of the descriptions/stories about the cat were repeated. This book actually had a lot of history about Iowa, which I enjoyed. It was a fast read, a cute book, but I couldn't help but compare it to Marley Me, so I was let down a little.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 3. Hot Six: A Stephanie Plum Novel, Janet Evanovich

message 6: by Alicia (last edited Jan 18, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 4. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

Such a great book. Nothing I could say could do a true justice on how great this book was. Definitely recommend reading it.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 5. Parties & Potions, Sarah Mlynowski

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 6. Stupid and Contagious, Caprice Crane

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 7. The Time Traveler’s Wife, Audrey, Niffenegger

I am still not sure what I think of this book. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it, but I could not put it down. I think this is just one of those books that I just need to let sink in for a few days.

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 8. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

message 11: by KrisT (new)

KrisT Alicia what did you think of Guernsey? It is one of those I really loved but I see you have some other really good ones down already this year.

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I really liked it. I didn't know much about it, but it sucked me in within the first few pages. I loved the mention of Jane Austen and just this whole little world that existed in Guernsey. I even wished the book was a little longer!

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 9. Knit Two, Kate Jacobs

I liked this better than the original. I thought one of the plot lines was a little far fetched though. Comfort Foods is still my favorite book by this author.

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 10. Bad Dogs Have More Fun: And Other Tails of Animals, Life, and Family, John Grogan

message 15: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Big Bad Dog Tail Wag for your first 10!

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 11. The Jane Austen Book Club, Karen Joy Fowler

I read this book for my book club, and I was not a big fan of it. The stories of the characters were interesting but I found some of the narration very confusing.

message 17: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 12. 3 Willows, Ann Brashares

I really liked this book! This books is by the same woman who wrote The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and it read just as easy as those books. Some characters from the Pants series were mentioned but you didn't have to read those books to enjoy this one.

message 18: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 13. Murder She Wrote: You Bet Your Life, Donald Bain

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 14. Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult

I have read several of Jodi Picoult's books, and while I enjoy that she tells one story from multiple character's point of views, sometimes I find some of her stories predictable and a little over dramatic at the end. That being said I still couldn't put this book down, it was gripping but I was a disappointed in the ending. If you liked My Sister's Keeper, you will like this book.

message 20: by Alicia (last edited Mar 15, 2009 10:30AM) (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 15. Enchanted Inc., Shanna Swendson

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 16. You Just Can’t Get Enough (Gossip Girl: The Carlyles), Cecily Von Ziegesar

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 17. Seven Up: A Stephanie Plum Novel, Janet Evanovich

I love these books. There is always at least one part where I just burst out laughing.

message 23: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 18. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

This book was amazing. Someone from my book club picked it, and at after reading the description of the book I was not sure if I was going to like it, but I could not put it down. I cannot wait for the next one to come out. I definitely recommend reading it.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue | 27 comments Alicia wrote: "18. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

This book was amazing. Someone from my book club picked it, and at after reading the description of the book I was not sure if I was going to like it, but I ..."

I will note this title, and add to my to-be-read list. Thanks for sharing!

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 19. The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks

No lie, I had this book on my shelf for 10 years. I got it when I was in high school and had just finished reading Message in a Bottle. For some reason I could never start The Notebook. I finally picked it up again today and ended up reading it 1 sitting. It is by far the best Nicholas Sparks book I have read. A great story of undying love. I hope the movie is half as good as the book.

message 26: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 20. The Wedding, Nicholas Sparks

This the "follow up" to The Notebook. It was a nice little book but I didn't like it nearly as much as The Notebook. It wasn't the worst Nicholas Sparks book I have read, but definitely not the best either.

message 27: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 21. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith

It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did I enjoyed it.

Has anyone who has read these books, watched the show on HBO? I am wondering if I should read the rest of the series before I start watching it?

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Alicia wrote: "18. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

This book was amazing. Someone from my book club picked it, and at after reading the description of the book I was not sure if I was going to like it, but I ..."

Hi Alicia-
Hunger Games surprised me too. The sequel is scheduled to release in September - I can't wait!

message 29: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I know, everyone in my book club loved it...but now we have to wait for the next one..it is like torture. I heard it is suppsoed to be a triology.

message 30: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Has anyone who has read these books, watched the HBO series?"

By all means WATCH! It is as delightful as the books and has no spoilers.

message 31: by Barbie (new)

Barbie I watched an episode of the HBO series #1 Ladies Detective. It's very true to the books I think, has the same tone, lighthearted detective plot with a strong sense of place, as the author puts it. I was at a friends watching it so will have to wait until it comes out on netflix! Very enjoyable!

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Yay! I am excited to watch. I have a half day tomorrow and it looks like I will be spending some quality time with my HBO on Demand. Thanks Mary & Barbie for letting me know.

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 22. Dead Until Dark: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel, Charlaine Harris

I picked this up because I saw so many people with these books on their list. I had read Twilight Serie, which was my first vampire book. I am suprised I enjoy this kind of genre but am going with it. Sookie is definitely more adult geared which I enjoyed, I thought parts of it were really funny (Bubba and the Grateful Dead t-shirt). I will definitely continue reading the series.

message 34: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 23. Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? , Melissa Senate

message 35: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Did you watch #1 Ladies???? I ADORE it.

message 36: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I watched the first episode, it was really great. I liked how they expanded on the secretary's part she was awesome and Jill Scott is perfect for the part of Precious. I am looking forward to watching the next 2 when I have time.

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 24. The Bridges of Madison County, Robert James Waller

This was a reread. I read it back in high school, I have had the sequel sitting on my shelf for a while so I wanted to read this again. I love the story, back in high school I thought it was the most romantic thing ever...this time I still enjoyed but not as much as I did back then.

message 38: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) HALF WAY THERE!!! WOOHOOO

25. Scot on the Rocks, Brenda Janowitz

Chick lit, very fun read.

message 39: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Yay 1/2 way!!!!! In only 4 months!

message 41: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments

well done

message 42: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 26. Hard Eight: A Stephanie Plum Novel, Janet Evanovich

message 43: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 27. The Reader, Bernhard Schlink

message 44: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 28. As Seen On TV, Sarah Mlynowski

This book was a lot of fun. About a girl who does reality tv.

message 45: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Wow, I read 10 books in April and then haven't been able get back into "reading mode" for a while. But now that most of my TV Shows are done and it is nice enough to read out in the sun, I am getting back into it.

29. There’s No Place Like Here, Cecelia Ahern

I really liked this book, at first I thought it was going to be a little weird because I couldn't get a feel for the main character but as it progressed I understood her more and really enjoyed the book.

message 46: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 30. Visions of Sugar Plums: A Stephanie Plum Holiday Novel, Janet Evanovich

I didn't like this as much as the other numbered novels, it was a nice light read though.

message 47: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 31. Girl’s Guide to Witchcraft, Mindy Klasky

message 48: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) 32. Living Dead in Dallas: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel, Charlaine Harris

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (pplunicorn) | 71 comments I love the Sookie books....MMMMM...Eric is soooo yummmy. Your over 1/2 way there. Sweet!

message 50: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I am really liking them. Have you watched True Blood on HBO? It is a show based on the books, but unfortunately I only made it like 15 minutes in the show was a little TOO different from the books. I like the little flirting going on with Eric...interested to see where that goes!

« previous 1 3