Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W (ericw) I was saddened to see that the death of Donald Westlake was reported this morning in the LA Times. I was a big fan of his Parker and Dortmunder series. He will be missed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedit...

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17305 comments Mod
He wrote a lot! Holy tuckerinos!

That looks to me like a life well lived. And I'm impressed that he wrote the screenplay to The Grifters. That is a fantastic film.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell He had good source material for that one. I've only read a short story by him. I've always meant to read one of his novels, but he wrote so damn many I don't know where to start.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I had the pleasure of hearing him read and of sharing the table with him and his wife at a local authors' signing event in Sharon, CT (he lived in nearby Ancramdale, NY) a few years ago. What a lovely man. wow. and funny. I was so sad to learn he'd died....not really that old either, by today's standards.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) He was so prolific he also wrote under pseudeonyms, --one at least, maybe more--

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17305 comments Mod
In the article they list at least five pseudonyms. Sounds like they didn't like to publish more than one book by an author a year once upon a time.

message 7: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W (ericw) Sally wrote: "In the article they list at least five pseudonyms. Sounds like they didn't like to publish more than one book by an author a year once upon a time."

I think each pseudonym was linked to a different character, e.g. Stark to Parker, Westlake to Dortmunder, etc. I didn't recognize a couple of the other names he wrote under. I'll have to look them up.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.