College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Uglies: What is Beauty?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Jan 03, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) This whole series confronts the issue of beauty. What is your defnition of beauty? What makes a person beautiful?

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments To me, a beautiful person is one who has a beautiful personality. A stereotypical "beautiful" person who has an ugly personality becomes so completely ugly to me. And people become so much more attractive when they have awesome personalities! =)

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
A funny story about that. Growing up there was a family that had 4 boys and a girl and they were all beautiful people. But, the oldest boy. He was closest to my age and EVERYONE thought he was just goreous! Well, except me. He was such an ASS! I couldn't get pass that to see if he was cute. His brothers, they were too dumb to be horrible, so they were cute.

I think beauty is something different for everyone. That is why I am not sure about the "pretties" in this book. No individualism.

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I think love defines beauty for me in relation to the people I am closest too. The ones that I love in my life I find beautiful.

For strangers I do think there is a defined difference between attractiveness and beauty. Attractiveness is what is on the outer layer. Beauty is the whole picture: all of the layers of a person.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i liked how you put that Silvia!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments To me "Beauty" is something that makes you look twice, it could be the way they smile, or a look in their eyes. Someone becomes beautiful when the beauty on their inside shines out. .... I hope that makes sense to you all, it sounds better in my mind.