Crandall's Christmas Book Club discussion

First order of business

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Crandall | 11 comments Mod
First of all, I would like to welcome everyone to my club. Your interest is greatly appreciated. I hate to start off on a serious note, but one of the people I invited, lets just call her "Jerri," said that CCBC was too "dorky" for her to take part in. I want to make clear that that sort of attitude will not be tolerated from this point forward and will result in immediate expulsion.

Now, On to the fun stuff!!!I would like to open the floor for our first discussion. What should we read? I would like to do something light and easy, but am always up for a challenge if anyone has any great ideas. Have fun with this ladies!!!!!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Ann | 4 comments This is a great concept! Thanks for the invite to participate. Q: I don't understand "Jerri's" reaction; how does she/he feel about snow angels, carolling, and fuzzy sox? (experienced either separately or concurrently)

I'm going to put a little thought into some suggestions, but I do have two right off: A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell. I couldn't put it down -- full characters, great story. See reviews at www.bookpage.com and www.powells.com.

I would also recommend The $64 Tomato by William Alexander. Very witty author. Enjoyable and thought-provoking for anyone, especially those who love to garden, nurture, or be compulsive!

Bye for now!

message 3: by Lacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Lacy | 5 comments Whether we read it now or not, I've heard great things about The $64 Tomato and will read it soon. Thanks for reminding me of it!

..oh, and about the snow angels, carolling, and fuzzy socks, I, for one, love the snow angels. "Jerri" is going to be jealous when we're all sitting alone at our own homes typing away about our book, snuggled up with hot cocoa and our laptops.

message 4: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments I will read anything...I am in need of a new book since I just finished mine.

I pity "Jerri"; first for her name and secondly she seems like a sad person. Who doesn't like Christmas anything. Maybe she will change her tune after the Christmas spirit invades our towns...

message 5: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments OH! I've wanted to read Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. Suppose to be really interesting!

message 6: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

I have to veto Middlesex because I have already read it. It is most definitely interesting. That would be great for book club discussions. It is really thought provoking. Ern, encourage char and em to give their two cents. i also have to get jess in on this thing.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments Okay. I'll do my best to get them into this.
I also want to read "Eat, Pray, Love" if anyone else is interested...I think its a quick easy one...

message 8: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Ive read that too. It would have been perfect. You are good at this. try again.

message 9: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments okay...i'll try again...

1)Double Blind
2)Pillers of the Earth (long)
3)The Oldest Living Confedrate Widow (long)

message 10: by Charlotte_Sutphin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Charlotte_Sutphin | 2 comments Sorry I am just getting to this now Cran. What about "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. My mom said she really liked it. I'll check back in later to see your thoughts.

message 11: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments Sorry Char...I think at least 3 of us have already read it. I have it though if you want to borrow it!

message 12: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments Okay I found it...its called The Double Bind...whoops! I posted it...but I couldn't remove the weird book...