The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > NO TV WEEK-Mon Feb. 2nd?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments I think the week I am going to experience life without the tv on will start the Monday after the Super Bowl. I'll start a thread to talk about the experience..hope to get more reading, family activities completed during that week. Anyone else want to try it for that week. It's not cheating to dvr/tape shows for later that run that week. I'm not against tv or anything like that...I just want to see what a week would be like without the tube. I've enjoyed all the responses from others about how enjoyable it can be and I know from past experiences when we've stayed in national parks without the tv that we actually enjoyed the quiet. We will see. Hope others join and share their thoughts. The day after the Super Bowl is Monday, February 2nd. What do others think? I'll send reminders if others are interested.

message 2: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 73 comments I'm in, Ed! Le Shawn

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments Sounds great! :)

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) No news either? I don't watch much of anything else really. The occasional film, or documentary.

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I won't join...well I don't have a tv but I was wondering something. If you watch the news online and watch a movie you have on the computer...would that be allowed?

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry Masloff (barrymasloff) I gave my TV away 2 1/2 years ago. I pursue other interests with the time I spent watching the tube before. Your life will change in many subtle ways if you rid yourself of that mass-marketing tool.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Not during sweeps! It's the best time for TV!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I'm in.

And since I'm one of those people who said that I don't watch much TV to begin with, I'm going to make things more difficult/interesting for myself by promising to to nix any and all personal internet usage during the same period. I have to use the internet for my job, but I will use it only for work-related searches.

I'm scared. And nervous.

GAH! Somebody hold me and tell me it will be okay!!!!

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez This seems like a good week to give it a shot, since it's after the football season and before the baseball season. Good luck with it Ed!

message 10: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Beth (Shmack) wrote: "I'm in.

And since I'm one of those people who said that I don't watch much TV to begin with, I'm going to make things more difficult/interesting for myself by promising to to nix any and all p..."

Beth...no internet means...... no Goodreads which means....no TNBBC.....that is a big sacrifice!!!!!!

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) | 509 comments I can't do it. I tried last year, and it just isn't possible. Especially since American Idol will have started.....

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments haha, I agree Fiona...for me as good a reason to give it up like Big Brother. Do they still show that? I hated it that I would know everything about it without watching it! Interesting conversations on the bus or school were gone....

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments no internet means...... no Goodreads which means....no TNBBC.....that is a big sacrifice!!!!!!

Jeane--I KNOW! While I was typing that, I was thinking to myself, "am I on crack? Why on EARTH am I volunteering myself to do this?!?"

It'll be good for me though. We have our internet/phone/cable through Comcast and they've been messing around with the connection somewhere near us so we've been without internet for the past 3 days, which has motivated me to do this. I've gotten so many more things accomplished than I usually do. It's been very motivating.

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments No rules...or you can make your own rules...if you want to drop personal internet or dvd, etc. that's fine...it's up to you. Also, I plan on dvr'ing (is that a verb) the couple of "can't miss" shows and watch them later--I just want to see what a week without tv would be like.

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jan 02, 2009 04:27PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
wow Ed, is it me or are you obsessed with TV a bit?
I have never seen someone post so many topics on it before. Perhaps you should start a new group just discussing television... (I jest, really)

Sorry, cant join in on this. I dont watch it much, but I do watch for three shows specifically. And One is only just returning the week before your proposed ban....

you all have fun with that and I will giggle from the sidelines.

Btw, Ed, you dont need to start a new thread, just rename this one when the time comes!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Hi Ed - I think I'll join you for your no tv week. It'll be a good test for me as I've been thinking about nixing my cable anyway to help save some money. My one concession is that I'll probably go ahead and watch any Netflix videos I may receive that week.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Can't miss American Idol - it pretty much gets me thru tax season every year.

(Wow Fiona not a fan huh? Do they even air AI in Britain? I have a mini-crush on Simon !! )

:)

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments Can you send an event invite as well? I do have 3 groups: daily diary, movies we've just watched and tv we've just watched.

I'll definitely rename the thread to remind everyone.

message 19: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments Do people listen to ipods when hiking? lol Comment occured on a thread about tv, etc.. while camping...I will listen to one while taking a walk for exercise but not while hiking.

message 20: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments I don't spend enough time watching TV to make it worth my while. I honestly spend about a maximum of 2 hours per week watching TV. I usually follow only one show at a time and that is the hour I allot myself TV time. I do understand what an addiction the TV can be though. My mother would benefit highly from this challenge (but I know she would never participate in it....lol)

Best of luck to all those that will benefit from this challenge!!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll join in too! It will give me a lot more reading time! However I don't watch much TV. As a matter of fact I have one of those old TV's still no converter box. I might not actually get one with Netflix I can just get my TV shows on DVD. I'm bad.

message 22: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Har har....
But there is some truth to it, huh?!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I could never give up the internet!! I probably could have given up the TV last week when nothing was on, but now that all of my shows are back starting Sunday, probably not!

Good luck to everyone else though :)

message 24: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments We'll journal about it here and also journal it here:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 25: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I could have easily given up internet before coming on this group. I like writing real letters to my friends, so would stay in contact like that. But now..... I am even worring about this group knowing that I have my first day at my new work tomorrow! Shouldn't I be busy more about the work?

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed | 33 comments I don't think any of us could give up the internet.