Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Father charged with snow death

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 01, 2009 07:54PM) (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
There is something frighteningly vivid about this to me. I can imagine the horrific perspective of these children, dealing with their father's problems from the day they were born. Oh my god. And the details! Like that the boy had reached that state of hypothermia where he felt he was hot and was found in only long underwear and shoes?
My heart breaks.
And I feel that this is something from a Sherman Alexie novel, for some reason. Perhaps his new memoir /YA novel?

Father Charged with Snow Death BBC story

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard about this yesterday. I don't even know what to say. It does sound like a YA story. It's very sad...those kids probably did think they could make it, and the father probably thought they could, too.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) so sad, I could barely read it--

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Two images stuck with me when I read about this a few days ago...

They found the daughter under a pile of snow. She was barely visible. And wearing her pajama pants. :(

The other... the father beat his head on the defendent table when they read the verdict of guilty. The children's mother said she wasn't going to lay into him about it because she was sure he was getting enough of it from himself.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

The image of the father in this story haunts me.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Whoa. I just noticed the picture of the dad on the link. I didn't know what he looked like, but for some reason, I imagined a beefier farmer-looking guy... like an overgrown jock. Not that.

I could see why that image haunts you, Sally. :(

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

This guy looks like someone normal who went off the deep end about 23 years ago with too much acid and whiskey.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments He kinda looks like a relative of Charles Manson.