On Reading Graphic Novels discussion

Watchmen & LOST

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 1 comments I read that Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindaloff get a lot of inspiraiton from this Graphic Novel.

I am planning on reading it to see the connections. Anyone who read it and watch LOST see a connection?

Plus I have a shameless plug for my LOST Book Club if anyone wants to join and watches LOST and reads the books indirectly recommended through the show.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8 comments to be honest, I watch Lost religiously, and I read Watchmen a while back, and I don't see any obvious connection. Although I believe I read some article recently that speculated that Locke could be some sort of Ozymandias character (?). The folks who make up wild Lost theories may have connected to Watchmen - personally, I don't see it.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric (ericbuscemi) | 4 comments The only thing I can think of is that the comic book featured in the graphic novel Watchmen is about a man that shipwrecks on an island and then escapes.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 1 comments It seems clear that the writers of Lost draw "inspiration" from anywhere they can, given the sometimes painful references to philosophy, literature, science, etc.

The closest link I can see is with Watchmen character Dr. Manhattan, who experiences the past and future simultaneously, can manipulate matter, etc. It's the kind of fantasy of quantum theory that drives a lot of the story on Lost.

message 5: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Jul 27, 2008 04:08PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 5 comments I think it is more simple. The characters in Watchmen are anti-heroes who are incredibly flawed humans (even though they have super powers).

Same in Lost.

Characters are more interesting when there is some depth and dark back story. I think that is the inspiration.

message 6: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 25 comments Only DR. Manhattan has super powers.

message 7: by Giacomo (new)

Giacomo (giacomol) In Watchmen, Ozymandias congregates writers and artists on a secret island to imagine "the horror to end all horrors"... DHARMA project, anyone?

message 8: by William (new)

William Hi, Vangelicmonk! Along with m42martin, I too am wondering just where you read that Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindaloff get a lot of inspiraiton from Watchmen. Dying to know.