Reading with Style discussion

Reading with Style (Summer 2012) > 20.2 - Scandinavian Noir & Edgar Award-winning authors

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited May 14, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Liz M 20.2 A. Scandinavian Noir (Fall 2010, 20.9)
The huge success of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has created a new sub-genre called "Scandinavian Noir," a misnomer that groups mystery writers from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland. Read a novel that falls under the definition of “Scandinavian Noir.” Please include the country the author is from when posting points.
-OR-
B.
Edgar Award-winning authors (Spring 2010, 20.10)
Read a crime novel by one of the Edgar Award-winning novelists. You don't have to read the novel that won, or was shortlisted for, the award, but the novel you do read has to be a crime novel.

message 2: by itpdx (new)

itpdx | 969 comments Does the "Edgar Award-winning" designation apply to special awards like Grand Master or Mary Higgins Clark award and to the various categories such as "Best Play" or "Best Fact Crime"?

message 3: by Liz M (last edited Jul 07, 2012 06:49AM) (new)

Liz M itpdx wrote: "Does the "Edgar Award-winning" designation apply to special awards like Grand Master or Mary Higgins Clark award and to the various categories such as "Best Play" or "Best Fact Crime"?"

The task does specify "novels" that won the award, so I am going to limit it to the Best novel categories category.

I will amend the link in the task

ETA: and we'll also accept the authors that were shortlisted for Best Novel

message 4: by Connie (last edited May 15, 2012 02:22AM) (new)

Connie | 214 comments What's the definition of "Scandinavian Noir"? Is it just what's in the wikipedia article? Is it any crime-writer from (uhm, for simplicity) Scandinavian countries?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments There are more authors than in the Wikipedia article, but yes, it is basically crime/mystery authors from Scandinavian countries. The original task suggested this website and this list as suggestions, but those are merely suggestions.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Thanks, Elizabeth!

message 7: by Christin (new)

Christin (Lunaratu) | 267 comments Good thing I looked in this thread and saw the change! I was going to go with something by Agatha Christie, as she won the Grand Master award, but now I will probably go with This Rough Magic or Death Comes to Pemberley ^_^

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is a link to the database for the Edgar awards:

http://www.theedgars.com/edgarsDB/ind...

Gives you the ability to search by category and also see the nominees.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments You can use that link if you wish, but Liz has established the task as being for Novel winners, so you should limit yourself to those.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

But Liz stated in message 3:

"ETA: and we'll also accept the authors that were shortlisted for Best Novel"

The Edgar's site shows the same titles as Wikipedia. However, Wikipedia doesn't list any shortlisted/nominated works after 1981 whereas the Edgar's site has the lists for every year.

Do they shortlisted/nominated authors count or not?

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 15, 2012 06:05PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Whatever Liz has stated in the task is what goes. I just know that I had a link to the Edgars that was a lot more than what Liz wants for this. The Wikipedia article has the known short-listed authors, whereas the Edgar website has only the winners, except for 2012.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Aha! I did not see the radio button that says "winners and nominees". Good job Pigletto!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. It's a pity you can't link the list only the search page. It would have made it easier.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments It looks like if you want to get both translation points and oldies with Scandinavian Noir, there are only a couple of authors.

Maj Sjöwall with his Martin Beck series
or
Gunnar Staalesen and Varg Veum

Does anyone know of others published before 1987?

message 15: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 21, 2012 07:48PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments And one from the Edgar list both translation and oldie:

Hans Hellmut Kirst

message 16: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4477 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "It looks like if you want to get both translation points and oldies with Scandinavian Noir, there are only a couple of authors.

Maj Sjöwall with his Martin Beck series
or
Gunnar Staalesen and Varg..."

Kerstin Ekman has the crime novel Under the Snow from 1961 and

Gunnar Staalesen may have a couple from before 1987 which have been translated

message 17: by Liz M (new)

Liz M http://barbarafister.com/scandcrime.html

Perhaps some of the authors in the above link?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Liz M wrote: "http://barbarafister.com/scandcrime.html

Perhaps some of the authors in the above link?"

Nice list, Liz. Yes there are a couple more in that one.

Anders Bodelsen
Ella Griffiths
Maria Lang
Stein Riverton (10 oldies points)

message 19: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2931 comments Would this include Best First Nove, Best Paperback Original and Best YA?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would this include Best First Nove, Best Paperback Original and Best YA?"

Just Best Novel award for the Edgar.

message 21: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (Purzel) | 255 comments Pigletto wrote: "Thanks. It's a pity you can't link the list only the search page. It would have made it easier."

I created a spreadsheet with the data from the database including the award winners and nominees for the category Best Novel: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

Let me know if you find any mistakes.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Thanks, Isabel. Remember, you don't need to read the novel that won or was short-listed, just a crime novel by an author who won or was short-listed.

message 23: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (Purzel) | 255 comments That's why I have added a second table to the file without the "title" column and all duplicate author entries removed, sorted by author (first name, because that's how the author name was given in the database).

However, google docs won't sort the first on the list and the last (Trevanian and Lawrence Block).

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments Thank you, Isabel!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Great work, Isabel! Thanks

message 26: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2931 comments If they were nominated under one name but wrote another series under an alias, can we use both series
Charlotte MacLeod = Alisa Craig

I noticed Ruth Rendall was also nominated for a book she wrote under the name Barbara Vine

message 27: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "If they were nominated under one name but wrote another series under an alias, can we use both series
Charlotte MacLeod = Alisa Craig..."

We'll accept pen names

Please post here when you find them and before posting in the completed tasks thread!

message 28: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2931 comments Here's a fantastic site to find other books written by Edgar authors.
This site also gives the series in their orders and the pen names the author uses.
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Ceraphina) | 64 comments Just want to double check before I start reading. Karin Fossum counts as scandanavian noir right?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Ceraphina wrote: "Just want to double check before I start reading. Karin Fossum counts as scandanavian noir right?"

Yes, she does.

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1054 comments Are Edgar nominees allowed? or is it just winners?

message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4477 comments Bea wrote: "Are Edgar nominees allowed? or is it just winners?"

Authors who were shortlisted for the Best Novel award are allowed

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1054 comments Kate S wrote: "Bea wrote: "Are Edgar nominees allowed? or is it just winners?"

Authors who were shortlisted for the Best Novel award are allowed"

I am not really sure what you mean by shortlisted. The link admits that not all nominees are listed but if I go to the Edgars site itself, Charlotte MacLeod comes up as a nominee for 1988. Would that count or not?

message 34: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1054 comments Another question: I went to the GR list (second link) for the Scandinavian noir and found Snow Angels listed. James Thompson is an American author but his GR bio states that he has "proved himself Finland’s best and most popular representative in the rise of Nordic noir". Can I read this book?

message 35: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4477 comments Bea wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Bea wrote: "Are Edgar nominees allowed? or is it just winners?"

Authors who were shortlisted for the Best Novel award are allowed"

I am not really sure what you mean by shortlisted..."

Shortlisted (pre 1981)/nominees (since 1981) for best novel are both accepted. Charlotte MacLeod is fine.

message 36: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1054 comments Kate S wrote: "Shortlisted (pre 1981)/nominees (since 1981) for best novel are both accepted. Charlotte MacLeod is fine."

Thanks, Kate.

message 37: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Bea wrote: "Another question: I went to the GR list (second link) for the Scandinavian noir and found Snow Angels listed. James Thompson is an American author but his GR bio states that he has "proved himself ..."

And yes, we'll accept this book for Scandinavian Noir

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniethepler) | 81 comments This might be silly, but would The Girl Who Played With Fire be acceptable? I know that this series is what kicked off the Scandinavian Noir genre according to the task description, but I'm not sure if the task is suggesting that we should be reading a SN book other than the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Yes, Steig Larsson works for this task.

message 40: by El (new)

El | 300 comments does The Boy in the Suitcase work for Scandinavian Noir? the author is from Denmark.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments Yes, Denmark is one of the accepted countries.

message 42: by Sara Grace (last edited Jul 06, 2012 10:18PM) (new)

Sara Grace  (SaraGrace34) | 141 comments Ok, now to beat a dead horse.

Liz M said, "The task does specify "novels" that won the award, so I am going to limit it to the Best novel categories."

I am really only asking this because she used "categories" plural...

The Mary Higgins Clark award is give to the best Thriller each year. They are all novels. Can we use writers from that category? I am guessing maybe no but I had to ask. I have an SJ Bolton novel that doesn't seem to want to fit anywhere else.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8000 comments The category from which to choose authors is "Best Novel".

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This Rough Magic (other topics)
Death Comes to Pemberley (other topics)
Under the Snow (other topics)
Snow Angels (other topics)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maj Sjöwall (other topics)
Gunnar Staalesen (other topics)
Hans Hellmut Kirst (other topics)
Kerstin Ekman (other topics)
Anders Bodelsen (other topics)
More...