Aussie Readers discussion

Talk Genre > Australian Sport Novels

Comments (showing 1-14)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Holtz | 3 comments Thanks for all your suggestions, my TBR list is growing...! Eleven Seasons sounds like an interesting read and the closest to what I was looking for, thanks Shellyrae :)

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (Trishapuddle) | 86 comments Here's one about boxing: Boxer Hobo by Johnny T. Noctor
Boxer Hobo

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine J | 6 comments Theres a book on soccer called megs and the football kids

message 11: by Brenda, I love challenges! (new)

Brenda | 54886 comments Mod
Kim Marie wrote: "I agree Brenda, Australia lost a talented author in Evan Green. I think I've read most of his books too."

My husband also knew him from his work, a lot of years ago..

message 10: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 804 comments I agree Brenda, Australia lost a talented author in Evan Green. I think I've read most of his books too.

message 9: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments Eleven Seasons by Paul D Carter is centered around AFL

Eleven Seasons by Paul D. Carter

message 8: by Brenda, I love challenges! (new)

Brenda | 54886 comments Mod
Kim Marie wrote: "Probably not the type of sport you're after Erin, but Dust and Glory by Evan Green profiles a fictional version of "Gelignite" Jack Murray and the Redex Trials. It's an oldie but a goodie :)"

Oh that was a great book Kim! I have all of his books, with all the Aussie characters and backgrounds...he was always so descriptive about the countryside too, I always felt like I was there! I was very sad when I learned he'd died.

message 7: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 804 comments Probably not the type of sport you're after Erin, but Dust and Glory by Evan Green profiles a fictional version of "Gelignite" Jack Murray and the Redex Trials. It's an oldie but a goodie :)

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 123 comments For fiction about AFL there's Martin FlanaganThe Call

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Holtz | 3 comments Thanks guys, I think Specky Magee is more what I'm looking for, it's what I'm thinking of doing myself but only for adult readers instead of a children's book. But any recommendations are good, thanks again for your help!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 69 comments I remember reading a teen series about a fictional swimmer swimming for Australia back in the Rome olympics. Alex in Rome

Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

message 3: by Brenda, I love challenges! (new)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hover Car Racer by Matthew Reilly?
Specky Magee by Felice Arena and Garry Lyon?
Nips XI by Ruth Starke. Not sure if their the sorts of things your looking for but I hope I helped.

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Holtz | 3 comments Other than the obvious sports biographies that fill up shelves in the bookshops, is there any fictional literature on Australian sports?

I remember there was a YA film about grass-roots AFL footy, but it seems like there's not a lot of fiction inspired by the real-life stories of our sportsmen & women.

But, correct me if I'm wrong! I've got a little idea for a creative writing project and would love to find out if this challenge has already been taken up, and to see how it went.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hover Car Racer (other topics)
Specky Magee (other topics)
Nips XI (other topics)
Alex in Rome (other topics)
The Call (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Martin Flanagan (other topics)
Evan Green (other topics)