Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Barnes and Noble best of '08

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
They break down their best of 08 into catagories. Chicks read #3 on their "Best Fiction Debuts" .. we are so hip!
I started reading the Forever War and really liked it but had to take it back because my library has a limit on new releases for how long you can check them out for and I was going too long. I plan on going back to get it again and finish it though.
Interesting list to check out.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/collect...

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I have not read any of those books so I better get started! Sad that 2008 is already over.

message 3: by Holli (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Holli I've only read two of these, The Guernsey Book and Edgar Sawtelle. Both of them I would have never picked up had it not been for our group here and I loved them both!!!

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I haven't read any of these either, Courtney.

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments I audioed Child 44....it was ok.....

message 6: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Has anyone read People of the Book? It looks pretty good and I think I might want to read it, but I think I'd like an affirmation beforehand. I hate starting a book and finding out it's not as good as I expected or wanted it to be.

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 23 comments I stumbled on the Amazon Best of '08 Editors Picks, and especially liked their editors' choice top 10 lists by subject area. Here are links to the lists for 2 subjects I read a lot:
arts and photography and
cooking, food and wine. They have lots of other topics too (romance, science, etc.). I found some titles on the lists that look great. Will add them to my TBR list.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I started Gurnsey but haven't finished it. I also started Edgar Sawtelle & need to get it back from the library.

Great list though! Thanks for posting it Tera!

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Thanks, Tera! Added a bunch of them to my to-read list. I've only read 1 so far!

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Tahleen - I have read People of the Book and really liked it. It's so well researched and having wished at times in my life that I had gotten into archaeology, or history it's a good dense read with a touch of mystery thriller to it.

message 11: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Mary, thanks! Maybe I will pick it up.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments Tahleen wrote: "Has anyone read People of the Book? It looks pretty good and I think I might want to read it, but I think I'd like an affirmation beforehand. I hate starting a book and finding out it's not as good..."

People of the Book is good, interesting. It is not one of my favorites, but I think it is a good read.

message 13: by Leslie (last edited Feb 28, 2009 02:23PM) (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments So sad I have only read one of them, but I have at least heard of several of these on the list which is better than previous years. I wish the list was a bit longer I would have been more likely to have read some of those!

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I have read People of The Book. It is very interesting and worth reading. It is not an easy read though.