South Shore Readers discussion

Local Books/Authors?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) | 19 comments Do you have any local books or local authors you enjoy, have recently found, or want to read? If so, what is the name and what is it about?

I love "Old Nantasket" by Doc Bergen--it tells a nice little history of Hull, very interesting and entertaining.

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 970 comments Mod
I have read quite a few Boston-based books and even have a Boston shelf here on Goodreads. I don't think that I've ever read any books that specifically took place on the south shore.

message 3: by kimberly (new)

kimberly (lilacgrrl) | 2 comments My mom grew up in New Bedford and loves reading books set in New England. I like to buy her books for xmas - any ideas of a good title to pick up?

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare | 21 comments All of the Spenser For Hire books are set in Boston. They are mysteries written by Robert Parker. He has a brand new one out now.

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare | 21 comments I just wanted to mention that the Duxbury Library has a Sunday Salon series in which they invite South Shore authors to speak. It is just wonderful! It is there that I was fortunate enough to meet Patry Francis and many other Boston/South Shore writers.

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 462 comments Mod
A lot of Dennis Lehane's books are set in MA. I've read Mystic River and Shutter Island and loved them both.

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare | 21 comments I have seen Dennis Lehane at a Writer's Conference. He is amazingly gifted. I couldn't get over the fact that he is in his 30's. He's definitely a Boston boy.

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare | 21 comments I'm just thinking of more South Shore/Boston/Massachusetts authors. Joan Erickson has written some great books for women - non-fiction. She lives on the Cape. Mameve Medved just wrote a new novel. She is from Boston. Claire Cook (Must Love Dogs) lives in Scituate, MA.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 970 comments Mod
A Sout Shore author, Amy MacKinnon, just joined this group. She is having a book launch party in Cohassett in a couple of weeks.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, All,

Thanks for including me, Jessica. My novel, Tethered, takes place in Whitman and Brockton. I'll be at Buttonwood Books in Cohasset August 12 and would love to see you there (www.amymackinnon.com).

A woman from my writers' group, Lynne Griffin of Scituate, has a parenting book out, Negotiation Generation, and recently sold her first novel, Life Without Summer (April 2009).

There's also Jennifer Haigh (Hull), Catherine Goldhammer (Hull), Brian Lies (Duxbury), Hallie Ephron (Milton), Alice Hoffman (various),etc. We're pretty fortunate to be surrounded by all of this talent.

Amy MacKinnon

message 11: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Griffin | 2 comments Thanks for sharing information about my books, Amy. It's great to see so many passionate readers reside on the South Shore! Glad to be part of the group.

I'll be reading from my parenting book, Negotiation Generation and facilitating a Q & A on Wednesday August 6th at the Joseph Dawe Elementary School in Stoughton, if anyone is interested. (6 pm)

And I will be attending your event at Buttonwoods, Amy. Can't wait to get my copy of Tethered.

message 12: by Elizabeth Esse (new)

Elizabeth Esse | 2 comments Just wanted to add I was a Amy MacKinnon's book event at Buttonwoods. A fun time and standing room only! I have my copy of Tethered and I'm about to dig in.

message 13: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Cheney (glenncheney) Well, I'm not quite a local author I guess (I'm from eastern Connecticut), but my most recent book is "Thanksgiving: The Pilgrims' First Year in America," which might be of special interest to people on the South Shore.

If anyone has read this book, I'd sure appreciate it if you could write a review here. You can probably find it at your local public library (Plymouth has it). You can read excerpts and comments at NLLibrarium.com.

You might also be interested in some Pilgrim-related essays I posted in my Profile section, under "Glenn's Writings."

message 14: by Karis (new)

Karis North The Hull Library bookgroup has local authors regularly. Most recently, we've have Catherine Goldhammer and Jennifer Haigh. in November, we're having a library benefit at the Hull Salt Water Club with Stephen Puleo, author of the Boston Italians.