Tudor History Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 333 (333 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 3 comments I am reading my first, The Lady Elizabeth, & loving it! I have also read The Other Boleyn Sister & really enjoy reading about this time period. Has anyone else read these other by Weir? It appears she has written several from the Tudor period & this seems like a fast read, so I am thinking about getting the others she has written. Suggestions?

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 09, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

Stephanie I read Innocent Traitor about Lady Jane Gray and it was very good.

message 3: by Darbus, Mod #2 (new)

Darbus | 93 comments I read The Six Wives of Henry VIII, and really liked it. I'm going to read Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England, The Wars of the Roses and Eleanor of Aquitane. I'll tell you what I think of them then. Did she write one about Elizabeth I?

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Dec 31, 2008 05:20AM) (new)

Kristen (areadinglady) | 3 comments I read I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles, which was all right. Weir has written a bio on Elizabeth but I haven't read it yet. A friend of mine read it, though, whose word I trust, and she told me it was informative and thorough, but written like a really boring history book. She didn't seem to think there was much flair in the telling, but I think I will reserve judgment for myself on that one. :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments I got Weir's bio of Elizabeth for Christmas. I'm currently reading her biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine, and enjoying it (her second husband has had her locked up for over a dozen years now for inciting their sons to rebel against him).

Queen Isabella was interesting, but I did NOT buy her "out there" theory about Edward II. I much enjoyed her Wars of the Roses and The Princes in the Tower, however. Don't bother with Henry VIII and His Court, though - it's VERY dry.

message 6: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 3 comments Thanks for the great suggestions as well as ones that may not be as interesting. Very helpful with what to pick up next. And with so many to choose from it will be fun to work my way through them & learn more about such a different time period! Keep the suggestions coming. Happy New Year!!

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samaranthine) Alison Weir's Isabella book was fantastic in my opinion. Susanna, you were right about her Henry XIII being dry. It's hard to make Henry look dry but boy she did it. I adore her for her wealth of information and research but for her two fiction novels she just couldn't get juicy enough. I stick to her non fiction, which is still way above par. I highly reccommend the Isabella book as well as the Eleandor of Aquitane book. Nowhere else can you find more info about those two women than in those two books. Alison Weir's definitely one of those women I'd love to have tea with!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Alison Weirs book on Queen Elizabeth I and I really enjoyed it, wasn't boring at all and was a real page turner. I'm looking forward to reading her book; The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

message 9: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 3 comments I just purchased the Six Wives & The Innocent Traitor...looking forward to getting into them. I need to get the Queen Elizabeth one also & the Eleanor of Aquitane...such an interesting time.

message 10: by MAP (new)

MAP | 60 comments Hello, brand new here! I have read Six Wives, Children of Henry, and Elizabeth I twice each, and really enjoy them. Her Henry VIII was very dry, and I was one of the few (I think) who thought her historical fiction was written less dramatically and read less like a good narrative than her history books. I just thought her fiction fell kind of flat, because she wasn't terribly good at capturing the motivations of people -- Lady Jane Grey's mother is a stick-out example of this, IMHO.

I haven't read her Princes in the Tower because I've heard too much about her biased writing concerning it (which she certainly does in Six Wives as well; even as a high schooler I could tell she really liked Katherine of Aragon and couldn't stand Anne Boleyn.)

Anywho, hello! Here I am! And yes, I'm kind of longwinded. Just call me Polonius.

message 11: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 59 comments Aliosn Weir's Tudor books are great, Innocent Traitor was a fav right from the start. For those of you that are Anne Boleyn fans try Karen Harpers The Last Boleyn, it's a re-release but my fav AB book out.

message 12: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments I have not read any Weir books but I have a few of her books on my TBR and I have read nothing but good reviews.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments Just started The Life of Elizabeth I last night.

message 14: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 59 comments I heard she writes really good elizabeth I books but have not yet read them myself.

message 15: by Pamela (last edited Mar 11, 2009 03:22AM) (new)

Pamela (marsaleigh) | 2 comments Hi there..I'm new here but I love,love,love the Tudor period of history and I read anything I can get my hands on by Alison Weir. She is historically accurate without being dull like David Starkey (IMO)

My favorites were Elizabeth I, Six Wives, The Children of Henry VIII, The Lady Elizabeth and Innocent Traitor, which are fiction, but still very good. I also have, on my TBR list, Elizabeth the Queen, which was difficult to find in the US but I did find an imported copy from the UK.

I do not find her fiction to be dry or dull but her fiction is not as captivating as,say, Phillipa Gregory, because she is a historian first and she doesn't compromise the quality of her work or her knowledge of the period to put out a sexy, bodice-ripping romance novel.

The one caveat, in my opinion, is her recently released book on Katherine Swynford,'Mistress of the Monarchy'. I waited for months for this to be released because one of my favorite books is 'Katherine' by Anya Seton but I could barely get through Mistress.

message 16: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Welcome to the group Pamela!

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (marsaleigh) | 2 comments Thank you!:)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I read Innocent Traitor about Lady Jane Gray and it was very good."

That was one of my favorites

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin | 100 comments "Innocent Traitor" I enjoyed, "The Lady Elizabeth" I did not enjoy as much (and I'm a huge Elizabeth I fan). I enjoyed the story about Lady Jane because while being aware of who she was and what eventually happened to her, I never knew anything about her. While I know this was fiction, it was still interesting to read. As for "The Lady Elizabeth" it was okay and I would have had no problem with it, except I do NOT buy into the rumor/theory that she puts in there as having happened (if you've read it, you probably know what I'm talking about). I feel that Elizabeth had too many people around and probably too many people spying on her to have made this possible to keep hidden. That's just my opinion though.

message 20: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Robin wrote: ""Innocent Traitor" I enjoyed, "The Lady Elizabeth" I did not enjoy as much (and I'm a huge Elizabeth I fan). I enjoyed the story about Lady Jane because while being aware of who she was and what ev..."

I haven't read The Lady Elizabeth and probably won't, especially because of the item Robin mentioned. It wouldn't bother me so much when authors make up something that has no basis in historical fact if they'd just fess up to it in their author's notes, i.e. I made it up just to titillate the audience.

message 21: by MAP (new)

MAP | 60 comments I didn't agree with her going that route either in Lady Elizabeth, but she does actually talk at length in her author's notes that she doesn't think it's what really happened, she just wanted to write it because it was a rumor that was out there during Elizabeth's life and this was fiction so she felt she was more at liberty to explore the possibilities than in a biography. (Whether or not you feel she explores unlikely possibilities in her biographies as well is a whole different issue ;) )

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments MAP wrote: "I didn't agree with her going that route either in Lady Elizabeth, but she does actually talk at length in her author's notes that she doesn't think it's what really happened, she just wanted to wr..."

That is good to know, I had heard at least one person mention that she did not address that in the author notes. My bad.

message 23: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments My recollection of the author's note is the same as MAP's.

message 24: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments I've read a number of Weir's non fiction books (and liked them) so I thought I'd give her novels a try. I've recently finished "The Lday Elizabeth" and liked it quite a bit. I'll start "innocent Traitor" shortly.

message 25: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I'm currently reading the Children of England and so far, it's excellent. Definitely recommend it and can't wait to read more by AW.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I just started Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey and am loving it. I have long been intrigued by her and what her life must have been like. Thanks to all who mentioned the book here and in the Lady Jane Grey thread, without you I probably wouldn't have looked for it.

As a matter of fact, this is my first Alison Weir book, and I look forward to reading more. I hope they are all this good.

message 27: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I have The Lady Elizabeth, The Innocent Traitor, The Six Wives of Henry III, The Princes in the Tower, Eleanor of Aquitaine, The Life of Eilizabeth I, and Queen Isabella, as you can see I have a buying problem because I have not read any of these yet. I think it's time to start, but where to begin?

message 28: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Susan C wrote: "I have The Lady Elizabeth, The Innocent Traitor, The Six Wives of Henry III, The Princes in the Tower, Eleanor of Aquitaine, The Life of Eilizabeth I, and Queen Isabella, as you can see I have a bu..."

I've heard the most positive reviews on The Innocent Traitor and The Lady Elizabeth but I haven't read any of them yet.

message 29: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Thanks Jennifer!

message 30: by Robin (new)

Robin | 100 comments I really enjoyed "Innocent Traitor." "Elizabeth" was good, I just didn't like how she included a certain rumor into her story as truth. Otherwise, an interesting read.

message 31: by Susan C (last edited Jul 27, 2009 07:07AM) (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Thanks Robin! I really do take all of your opinions seriously. You all know so much more than I do, because I'm just starting to read about English Royalty from the 1100s to present day. I have Lillibet by Erickson and also The Reluctant King about Elizabeth II's father for more recent info.

I'm starting with Courts of Love by Plaidy about Eleanor of Aquitaine. I'm really enjoying the book. I just hope I retain the information as I read all my books, so I can knowledgeably talk with all of you in the future!

message 32: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Susan C wrote: "Thanks Robin! I really do take all of your opinions seriously. You all know so much more than I do, because I'm just starting to read about English Royalty from the 1100s to present day. I have L..."

You will retain the info... you'll just forget some stuff, if you're anything like me :) I have this terrible habit of knowing that I've read something and not being able to find where I've read it. Becomes quite annoying when you can't remember if you read it as non-fiction or HF. Can't wait to get my hands on some JP books. As of now, I have none.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments The Life of Elizabeth I was excellent, by the way. Very readable.

message 34: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Jennifer wrote: "Susan C wrote: "Thanks Robin! I really do take all of your opinions seriously. You all know so much more than I do, because I'm just starting to read about English Royalty from the 1100s to presen..."

I hope you're right Jennifer!

message 35: by Marie Z (new)

Marie Z Johansen (mzjohansen) | 52 comments I am a hugh Alison Weir fan! I think I have read most all of her books - both fiction and non-fiction. Just finished "The Lady Elizabeth" and it was, IMHO, another winner. I was sorry when the book ended and that is my personal benchmark as to whether a book is a 5 star for me! I am also a very big fan of Vanora Bennett's books. I alsways hate it when her books end and now, I fear, I may have a long wait for a new one.

message 36: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I think I'll start with The Innocent Traitor since it seem to be getting the most recommendations.

Thanks All!

message 37: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments For anyone who hasn't already gotten it, "Innocent Traitor" in the Hardcover edition is a bargin book at Chapters for $6.99

message 38: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thalia wrote: "For anyone who hasn't already gotten it, "Innocent Traitor" in the Hardcover edition is a bargin book at Chapters for $6.99"

Fantastic! Thanks

message 39: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Thanks Thalia. but mine is on my shelf patiently waiting!

message 40: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thalia wrote: "For anyone who hasn't already gotten it, "Innocent Traitor" in the Hardcover edition is a bargin book at Chapters for $6.99"

I ended up going out and getting this, by the way. Thanks again for letting us know! I also found another book on sale that day for $4.99 about one of the George's I think :)

message 41: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I've picked up a couple of AW books lately after reading and loving The Children of England and hearing such positive reviews on her.

I've now added The Princes in the Tower, The Wars of the Roses and Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey to my collection.

message 42: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Good choices!

message 43: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 13, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Susan C wrote: "Thanks Robin! I really do take all of your opinions seriously. You all know so much more than I do, because I'm just starting to read about English Royalty from the 1100s to present day. I have L..."

Susan - I just came across a really good book about the consolidation of Wales under Llewellyn in the 1100s. It was written by Edith Pargeter, who also writes mysteries under the name Ellis Peters. I'll let you know what I think.

Also, I am almost finished with Innocent Traitor and it is a great book. Great place to start with Alison Weir.

message 44: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Thanks Lyn. I look for your review!

message 45: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Innocent Traitor was an amazing book. Alison Weir is one of my favorite historians!!!! My favorite book of hers that I have read so far is The Children of Henry VIII. It read like a novel. Really great!!!

message 46: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Aly wrote: "My favorite book of hers that I have read so far is The Children of Henry VIII. It read like a novel. Really great!!!"

Yes! I've talked about that book some many times I'm starting to feel like a broken record but I loved it. So glad to find someone else who read it and liked it too :)

message 47: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Jennifer wrote: "Aly wrote: "My favorite book of hers that I have read so far is The Children of Henry VIII. It read like a novel. Really great!!!"

Yes! I've talked about that book some many times I'm starting..."

Ha! Good!!! Other people need to read that book too!!

message 48: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I plan to, it's on my shelf waiting!

message 49: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments i think you'll really like it. It helps map out what happened after Henry VIII died. Jane Grey is included in the book even though she wasn't one of his daughters. But she was still part of all the kerfluffle.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments I like Weir.

I'd avoid Henry VIII The King and His Court, though - she actually succeeds in making Henry VIII dry, which I didn't think was possible.

It's not a bad book - just a bit dull.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7