Humor is My Genre discussion

Tom Robbins

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fredstrong (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Fredstrong | 4 comments When it comes to humorous writers, I think Tom Robbins is the man. Jitterbug Purfume is one of my favorite novels of all time. He is a magician with words. Any other Tom Robbins fans out there? What other authors have you found to scratch that itch?

message 2: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Red Evans | 12 comments Mod
I've read some Tom Robbins and liked them. While I fall short of being a huge fan, I do admire his sense of humor. I'm a big Carl Hiaason fan and Dave Barry too. I recently read Native Tongue by Hiaason and hooted at some the characters he created.
My own novel, On Ice might have been influenced by them both, although it's in a different vernacular.

Red Evans author On Ice (Order Amazon for gift giving)

message 3: by Tony (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Tony | 2 comments Hiasson is a riot, though after a few books his characters and plots start to run together. I like Robbins too, and at one point I would have called Even Cowgirls Get the Blues my favorite book of all time, but then again I was in college, what did I know? Well, to be fair, it was in college that I discovered P.G. Wodehouse, my true love for humor. Farce isn't for everyone and that's okay because it only needs to please me, and he does. Laugh out loud funny. If you like political humor I wouldn't shy away from Al Franken.

Oh, Woody Allen's Without Feathers, how could I have forgotten you.

Why is it so hard to find good humor in print? Are all of the writers, except for Red here, writing for the Onion or in Hollywood on strike from their television and movie duties?