The Office breakroom discussion

Since "The Office" is currently closed...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Claire (deborahclaire) | 4 comments What are you all doing with your Thursday nights since WGA went on strike? I should be reading, but I need to go to the library and check out some different books first. I don't want to read what I currently have right now.

I don't know about you, but I rrrreally want to start a Finer Things Club in my office or when I go back to school next semester...I can definitely get my reading in then!

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
The Finer Things Club was kind of a fun "office breakroom" overlap between the show and this little piece of the internet. (c; At the same time, I thought it was uncharacteristically cruel for them to meet at the office and be so exclusive. I would have thought that the club would have met outside of work hours at a local independent book store or something like that.

Any thoughts on the books they read?
Were they "Remains of the Day" and "Angela's Ashes"? I've read Angela's Ashes and am sorry to say that I did not have as much sympathy for the author as I would have normally, because I had just read "Kaffir Boy" about life in South Africa during apartheid. Now that was some SUFFERING! I feel heartless that I would compare two people's suffering, but Angela's Ashes sounded like whining juxtaposed against what the Native African experienced under Caucasian rule. Yikes!

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
To answer your question, I did indeed watch the rerun last night of "The Office" at the normal time of the show, but it feels pointless since I have all of the seasons on DVD. hmmm . . . Not only that, "The Daily Show" is also in reruns. What to do? I'm open to suggestions.

message 4: by Claire (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Claire (deborahclaire) | 4 comments I've not read all of Angela's Ashes, only a couple chapters. (My junior year high school class was given the choice to read that or In Cold Blood, and I chose the latter.) It seemed all right - not something I'll ever rush out to read, most likely.

I don't think it was Remains of the Day - I read it was A Room with a View. I don't remember that from the ep, but I'll believe it. I've never read it, either.

Did they read a Dickens book? For some reason I thought they did. I guess it was just the two above.

As for their exclusivity, I found that the funniest part about the club. (Although, I did think it was dumb of them to feel like they could just take over the break room - why didn't they just use the conference room? Duh. Not really fine thinking on their part.)

I agree with you on their hours for the club, too. I wonder if it was originally written that way, since it just seemed so unrealistic for them to be meeting in the middle of the day like that. Then again, they do work at Dunder Mifflin...

message 5: by Claire (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Claire (deborahclaire) | 4 comments Oh, and I was definitely a bum last night. I watched 'Survivor: China.' I have to admit I still occasionally enjoy this show.

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 3 comments The office is so cool but i have been missing some of them and dont no what is going on.