Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

SF/Futuristic Romance > Futuristic Romance Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I've picked up a few futuristic romances, and have been on a bit of a science fiction kick lately. I'm reading Kinsman's Oath by Susan Krinard at the moment (just started it, actually), and it's interesting enough. I like what I've read so far of Liz Maverick's stuff, too.

What are your favorite futuristic romances? Favorite authors?

message 2: by Shannon (Giraffe Days) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) I can't think of many books in this sub-genre at all, but maybe The Crystal Singer trilogy by Anne McCaffrey fits? I really enjoyed those (comes in a single volume now). It's not paranormal, but it is science fiction.

I haven't heard of Kinsman's Oath - what's it about? Haven't heard of Liz Maverick either!

message 3: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Kinsman's Oath is... well, it's kind of convoluted. I'm in the middle at the moment, and the plot's just now coming out. Basically, there are two races sharing an area of space: humans and shaauri, catlike beings. They're (of course) hostile to each other, after having two huge wars and setting up a blockade that keeps humans from reaching their far-flung systems.

Cynara is the captain of a special, secret human ship with an engine that allows them to basically sneak through shaauri space. She picks up a human in shaauri territory who was about to be blown up by the aliens; he was captured by the shaauri when he was a child and was raised by them (though not allowed to be one of them; he's an outcast). She thinks he's trustworthy and just wants to get back to his fellow humans, but he may or may not have ulterior motives.

And that's as far as I've gotten. :D The writing is very good, which is what's kept me going through the plot tangles and slow start. Susan Krinard has a wonderful way with words.

I've only read Wired by Liz Maverick. It's a time-travel book reminiscent of Bladerunner and cyberpunk. Very interesting. I've got another of her books waiting in the wings; i can't for the life of me remember the title at the moment, but I'll probably read it after i finish Kinsman's Oath.

message 4: by Shannon (Giraffe Days) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) Kinsman's Oath sounds really interesting and original - and as a cat lover, I like the idea of catlike beings!

message 5: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Resurrecting an old topic!

I'm currently reading Unmasked by C.J. Barry; it's another spacefaring romance, this time dealing with slave trade and shipping. Wow, I just made that sound really boring, ha! It's pretty good so far; I'll comment on it more once I finish it.

I also picked up Driven by Eve Kenin, Shadow Fires by Catherine Spangler, and True Blood by Patricia Waddell at my favorite used bookstore. I'm really digging the blend of science fiction and romance.

message 6: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 53 comments Catherine Spangler contributed a first chapter of Shadow Fires, and also of her new book to a collection of 10 diferent authors' first chapter samplers.

They are all a blend of Romance and FFP or SFR

http://www.rowenacherry.com/downloads...

Feel free to share the url/pdf/download if you find it useful.

Rowena Cherry

message 7: by Jan (last edited Dec 30, 2007 05:35PM) (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I got burned-out in the 80’s reading Star Trek and it’s multitude of spin-offs. Didn’t touch anything sci-fi again until I read "How To Lose An Extraterrestrial in 10 Days" by Susan Grant on 12/7/07 Sorry to say that I’m still not into extraterrestrial anything anymore.

Still it kept my attention through this one time only read.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina I am deep into re-reading JD Robb's In Death series. JD Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. She's been writing the In Death series since 1995 and the most recent one just published last month is the 25th in the series. The books are set in a future New York, year 2059. They heavily romance although they are a strong police-procedural/mystery hybrid, not really sci-fi.

Lois McMaster Bujold writes good sci-fi romance. Shards of Honor and Barrayar are sci-fi with a strong romance. They are the first two books chronologically (although not first in publication) of her excellent Vorkosigan series.

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I just finished reading Unmasked by C.J. Barry, and thought it was pretty good overall. It deals with slavery, both legal and illegal, and a pirate who's made it his life's mission to free and help as many slaves recover as he can. The main character is the youngest child and only daughter in a family that runs a huge shipping business, and she gets involved with the pirate after he raids her ship. The romance didn't seem forced or rushed; the characters had great chemistry, and I believed that they'd fall for each other quickly. The villain was a bit of a caricature; his motive could have been believable, but instead it was turned into his being completely batshit insane, which weakened his motive, IMO.

But I enjoyed it. Barry created an interesting science fiction setting with some fun variations on familiar themes, such as Nod, the overly helpful lightball robot. The smut wasn't too shabby, either. ;)

message 10: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 5 comments Futuristic?

Try Insufficient Mating Material by Rowena Cherry. And no, she didn't pay me to say it. lol Here's my review:

Insufficient Mating Material
Rowena Cherry
LoveSpell
ISBN: 0-505-52711-1

We drooled over Prince Djetthro-Jason before and now Rowena Cherry has written his story--one that was definitely worth the wait! In her typical fashion, Ms. Cherry combines sex, action, love, and adventure into one terrific story. Did I say sex? Whoowee!

Princess Martia-Djulia is overlooked, underrated, but not underfed. Commander Jason has captured her heart and she refuses to give in to Emperor Tarrant-Arragon's demand that she marry Prince Djetthro-Jason. Meantime, Djetth, having had wild and crazy sex with her as Jason, is quite amenable to at least the bedsport part of the deal. Her curves drive him absolutely mad with desire. But he has to be patient--not his long suit.

Patience isn't the princess's brother's long suit, either. When Djetth doesn't make progress convincing the princess to mate with him, the emperor decides to shoot the two wayward lovers down on a deserted island. The couple has to resort to surviving on their wits--which is hard since they're both at their wits' end.

Insufficient Mating Material is a sexy, funny adventure story, and informative, too. I had a great time reading this book. Ms. Cherry has written a great follow-up to Forced Mate and Mating Net that won't disappoint either her fans or her new readers. IMM is a stand-alone book. You don't have to read the previous book and novella to have a great reading experience. But I'll bet you'll want to read her other books once you've read this one.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments Since a lot of people in this group like Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, you may be interested to know that she has another book coming out soon that should fall into the futuristic romance genre. The book is called The Host, and I'm not sure exactly when it's being published, but sometime this year. Its going to have an invasion of the body snatchers type theme, with aliens taking over host bodies, hence the title. Just thought people might be interested. There's more info and a better description on her website.

message 12: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (LinneaSinclair) | 96 comments I definitely second Rowena Cherry's science fiction romances--they're terrific and as Rowena's a Brit, they have her delightfully sick sense of humor.

Others (some already noted) who write in SFR/RSF/Futuristics:

Susan Grant
Robin D Owens (Heart series)
CJ Barry
Patti O'Shea
Colby Hodge
Liz Maverick
Eve Kenin
Susan Kearney
Stacey Klemstein
Isabo Kelly
me (Linnea Sinclair)
Patricia Waddell
JD Robb (LOVE Roarke! love love love!)
Catherine Asaro
S L Viehl
Lois McMaster Bujold
Barbara Hambly

The thing with this genre/sub genre is that some of the authors write more toward the romance angle, some more toward the SF. Some readers like the more romance, some don't. It really depends on what you're in the mood for.

Hope this helps! ~Linnea

message 13: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 5 comments Great list, Linnea. I also enjoy several of those authors.

I have to confess that I haven't read your books yet. My daughter loved Games of Command and sent it to me for Christmas, but alas and alack, I've been under deadline, plus distracted with other things (such as getting flooded, then getting the flu), so I haven't even finished the book I started reading in November. I'm certainly looking forward to reading your books, though.

message 14: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I read about The Host by Stephanie Meyer as well, but for some reason I thought I read about it in Borders, not on her website. I could be and probably am totally wrong, though. However, it does sound really interesting.

message 15: by calicheri (new)

calicheri | 39 comments Nalini Singh has a Psy/Changling series that is set in the future in CA. The fourth book just came out. I think it's one of the best series going right now.

message 16: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments I just finished "Down Home Zombie Blues" by our very own Linnea and loved it :)

message 17: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (LinneaSinclair) | 96 comments Hey, thanks so much, Cassandra! I'm tickled you enjoyed Theo and Jorie. If you have any questions about the book, I love chatting about my characters. It was "set" in St Petersburg FL, where I was a PI for 10 years. Lots of the places actually exist. And as always, many of the characters are readers/fans of mine. ;-) Betcha didn't know a lot of authors do that. I'm actually a minor character in one of Susan Grant's futuristic romance novels. It's kind of fun being immortal. ;-)

~Linnea

message 18: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments I did not know that about the characters being based on fans and friends. I'll have to watch for that in future reads :)

I spent half my childhood in Florida (Cocoa, then Orlando), so the setting was very nostalgic for me. I'm surprised you didn't mention bugs and lizards running around!

You actually explained everything very well in the book, so I don't really have any questions :) I must say I was really surprised that I didn't "look at my watch" (translation: check what page I was on and how many were left) a single time during such a long book. As a budding novelist, I must ask: What's your secret? :)

message 19: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (LinneaSinclair) | 96 comments I think the zombies running around were more than enough. ::evil grin:: But yeah, bugs and lizards although in December in St Pete there are far less, due to the temperature drop.

For me, the key to any good read (or to writing a book) is conflict. Read Deb Dixon's GMC (Goal, Motivation and Conflict). Also check out the worldcrafter's guild (free) on www.simegen.com . Long time SF author, Jacqueline Lichtenberg, has some terrific advice on writing conflict. ~Linnea

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments I can see that :)

Thanks for the resources. I'll check them out!

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 74 comments Here are some of my favorite futuristic authors:
C.J. Barry
Rowena Cherry
Susan Grant
Susan Kearney
Catherine Spangler
Linnea Sinclair
Patricia Waddell

And these sci fi authors write romantic stories with female leads:

Catherine Asaro: Skolian Empire series

Lois McMaster Bujold: Miles Vorkosigan series

Elizabeth Moon: Heris Serrano series and Vatta’s War series

Mike Shepherd: Kris Longknife series

David Weber: Honor Harrington series

message 22: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 39 comments I second the JD Robb recommendation! Love her "In Death" series.

message 23: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 53 comments Thank you, Linnea.
And congratulations on another RITA final with Games of Command.

message 24: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments I completely agree with Tina on J.D. Robb's 'In Death' series. My all time fave - I don't miss one! (Nora is my all time fave author - I have every single one of her books - no joke!) I haven't really read much futuristic novels, so thank you Linnea for that list of authors! That'll be a big help. I can say that I'm about to read the Crimson City series (7 books in total by different authors). Take a look at crimsoncity.com and scroll close to the bottom of the page.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, I don't think I've read too many scifi romances, but I would recommend McCaffrey's Rowan series. Really enjoyed them.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (LisaHendrix) | 57 comments Galaxy Express is a relatively new blog/site that deals specifically and exclusively with futuristic and science fiction romance:

http://thegalaxyexpress.blogspot.com/

You'll find lots of recommendations, information, opinion, and just plain fun. Plus links to other sites and list upon list of authors, old and new.

message 27: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 124 comments I read two books by JD Austin, Bobby's Girl and Meet the Thradons. When I picked up Bobby's girl I didn't know it was an alien/human love story. It was just a cheap book with a good blurb. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it so much that I had to get the sequel, Meet the Thradons. It was light, amusing, and a new twist on romance!

Judi McCoy has a series where alien women come to earth to get pregnant because their men are infertile, but the women keep falling for the humans. Light reading, but fun!

message 28: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Linnea, I just picked up a copy of Gabriel's Ghost, but unfortunately I have no time to read it! I'm thinking about skipping this composition theory stuff for class and reading anyway, haha.

message 29: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments Fangirl, did you finally read Gabriel's Ghost? If so, did you like it? It was a book of the month that I never had a chance to read and now I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

message 30: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 16 comments Gina, I read Gabriel's Ghost and LOVED it! Of course, I am a huge Linnea fan. I haven't read anything of hers that I didn't like. Her writing is fast paced, fun, good characters, strong heroines and strong heros, and I love all the supporting characters. If you like characters then Linnea is your girl.

I can't speak to the plot, as I think I am probably pretty easy to please plotwise. I think her plots are a lot of fun and well developed, but I am no expert. What I can tell you is that Gabriel's Ghost is tons of fun!

message 31: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I haven't had a chance to read Gabriel's Ghost yet! I'm kind of between two houses right now, and most of my books are at the house that I'm not living in, d'oh! I'll have to snag it next time I head back.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (bookewyrm) | 57 comments Gabriel's Ghost is definitely good :)

message 33: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 74 comments I just thought I'd mention that three of my earlier futuristic romances written as Nancy Cane are available in a new trade paperback format via iuniverse.com or in online bookstores. My Light-Years trilogy starts with Circle of Light and continues with Moonlight Rhapsody and Starlight Child. Go here for reviews and excerpts: http://home.att.net/~ncane/Romances.html

message 34: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments Thank you! Gabriel's Ghost is now on my BooksToBuy list! :)

message 35: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (LinneaSinclair) | 96 comments Thanks kids! I really appreciate the support. Gabriel's Ghost--which took the RITA award for Best Paranormal Romance--is essentially book #1 in the Dock Five Universe. Shades of Dark is book #2. Hope's Folly--Feb 24, 2009--is #3 though unlike GG and SOD, it's a bit more of a stand-alone. GG and SOD are Chaz and Sully. FOLLY is Admiral Philip Guthrie. You don't need to read 1 and 2 to read FOLLY but IMHO it would help a lot.

I have sneak peeks on my site. FYI. I also have reviews and comments on the books posted there if you need to get a feel as to what they're like. Oh, book videos too. You can get a quick idea of the stories from them, I think (except for the FOLLY video which I'm still working on.)

Thanks again, ~Linnea
http://www.linneasinclair.com

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen_anders) | 4 comments An excellent read that has a strong romance in it is the Gandalara Cycle. There are seven books and they're old from 1980's, but they are so very good.

I concur with the Crystal Singer books, they are so very good.

There's also a few that I would recommend: The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip, The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, Star Commandos by P.M. Griffin with 12 books in the series. These books are like J.D. Robb's in that she has a recurring couple throughout the 12 novels who are married. Very good stuff.

Karen

message 37: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I just finished the 2nd book in Deidre Knight's Midnight Warriors series, Parallel Heat. The first book is called Parallel Attraction.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed reading these first two books and is looking forward to the rest of the series.

I find the plot pretty complex, but well-written that I was basically glued to the book. The characters are endearing and sympathetic, and I would love to read more about them.

I'm just wondering if any in the group have read these books and what do you think of the series?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I haven't read these but I was interested. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll definitely pick up the first book and go from there.

I love Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling books. I am more of a fantasy girl than sci-fi but she makes the science fiction aspects interesting and digestible instead of dry.

message 39: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Gatadelafuente,

I just finished reading the first two books of Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, and I like it very much. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the next book.

I have to say I'm not into sci-fi myself, since I'm really more into PNR than anything, but Deidre Knight's scifi series really surprised me on how I enjoyed her writing and her characters. I highly recommend them..even though I've only read the first two books so far.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I loves me some good space opera, anybody read any SF/Futuristic by Angela Knight? She has several short stories that are my favs of her books.

Linnea Sinclair is awesome.

Kinsman's Oath is my favorite Susan Krinard book.

Some of the Skolian Empire books by Catherine Asaro are very intense, like The Moon's Shadow or The Last Hawk.

For erotic kinky space opera, try Morgan Hawke's Interstellar Discipline series.

If it doesn't have to be romance, Warchild by Karin Lowachee is wonderful. One of my all-time favorites.

message 41: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) | 15 comments Ahh more books to add to my tbr list!! It's getting bigger and bigger with this group.

message 42: by Diana (new)

Diana (MissDi) | 64 comments I was going to suggest Angela Knight - I love her stuff! Her futuristic/sci fi are Jane's Warlord, Mercenaries, Warlord and Warriors: The Time Hunters.

Some of these actually go back and forth in time...and be warned, some of Knight's stuff could be classified as erotica.

message 43: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments So true, Diana, but sooooooo good! :D

message 44: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 75 comments Nobody has mentioned Dara Joy yet. Basically a trilogy - "Knight of a Trillion Stars", "Rejar", and "Mine to Take".

Also, just read Beneath the Thirteen Moons, which certainly fits. Very cool world building on that one.

message 45: by Lil (new)

Lil (LilMar) | 22 comments I liked the Dara Joy series, "Mine To Take" is the only one I didn't really get into for some reason. Love Angela Knight and J.D. Robb, and many many others, lol, I'm a baaaaaaaad girl when it comes to books!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ I liked Alexis Morgan's Paladins series. The premise is that a dark alien world exists across a forcefield barrier from ours, and the "Others" from that light-deprived world invade ours when the barrier crashes. To defend our side of the barrier, a special group of Paladin men are born with the skills and healing ability necessary to keep the "Others" at bay. Each book follows a particular Paladin in his struggle to defend the barrier and stay sane, since the longer he is a Paladin, the more likely he is to go berserk. They are well-written books with an unusual storyline. I have enjoyed all of them so far.

message 47: by Frances (new)

Frances (FrancesD) | 7 comments The Discriminating Fangirl wrote: "I just finished reading Unmasked by C.J. Barry, and thought it was pretty good overall. It deals with slavery, both legal and illegal, and a pirate who's made it his life's missi..."

Fangirl, I read UNMASKED several years ago and have to agree with your comments. I liked the book very much. I only wish that C.J.'s publisher could be convinced to have her write more Science Fiction Romance. I had read some of her earlier books and felt that she was getting better with each one. I am convinced that she could become a star were she to resume her SFR writings.

message 48: by Frances (new)

Frances (FrancesD) | 7 comments I finished reading HOPE’S FOLLY by Linnea Sinclair last week and managed to post a review on my blog. HOPE’S FOLLY is terrific! Although it’s the third book of her Dock 5 series, following GABRIEL’S GHOST (#1, and 2006 RITA winner), and SHADES OF DARK (#2, and sequel to GG), HOPE’S FOLLY is a stand alone. However, I have back links to the first two books so you can be sure that you get the backstory. Linnea writes rollicking Space Opera with smart heroines, to die for heroes, and knuckle-biting plots with laugh-out-loud moments. Can you tell – I recommend it? :-)

Frances
Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future
Frances Writes

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to admit I haven't been exposed to much SF romance, but I remember reading Anne McCaffrey's Tower and Hive series some years ago and really enjoying it. I can't remember if it's an alternate universe or the future. I loved The Rowan and Damia particularly.

Alexis Morgan has me intrigued--I've been reading very good reports about the Paladin series.

message 50: by new_user (last edited Mar 30, 2009 10:32PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I loved the Rowan books, Moss! Good stuff, and romantic too. :)

« previous 1 3