Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > One Child -- Indonesian version?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laurelb) | 19 comments I just joined this list so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place.

I notice when you do a search for the book One Child by Torey Hayden, only the Indonesian version (called Sheila) comes up in the search list. The only way to find the American version is to click on the Indonesian one (which, as noted, has a different title) and then search for other editions. Or you can find the American version by typing in the ISBN, which is a bit of a hassle. Can this be fixed so that the American version is the one that comes up in the search? A lot of people looking for that book may get confused. :) Thanks.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Laurel.

You can also click on the however many number of editions that appear under the edition that shows. It saves one step.

Sometimes, due to many editions being combined into the "most popular" the "most popular" isn't actually the one that is. I've seen that happen with one book where the audio edition shows and I'm almost certain it's not really the most popular. This book may be another instance.

The edition that shows is the one most frequently rated on Goodreads. I supposed it's possible (perhaps not likely though) that for this book one of the Indonesian editions is in fact the most popular.

I'm not sure how, or if, we should change it. (We'd have to delete that edition and put the ratings on another English language edition and then reenter the Indonesian edition. BUT, some of the ratings are by members who read the Indonesian edition so I wouldn't want to change their ratings. We can still rate/review whichever edition we choose.)

By the way, this book is on my shelves and I've noticed the same thing as you.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laurelb) | 19 comments Thanks for the reply, Lisa. Sounds like it'd be tricky trying to fix it, and might mess things up.

I noticed someone mentioned the same thing in one of the reviews -- why is it that the Indonesian version pops up instead of English. But at least it seems people can find it if they look around a bit. It's not like its a hugely popular book, but it's one of my faves, :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments I love it too Laurel.

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laurelb) | 19 comments Not to keep on this issue, but I found one "One Child" that someone had added but with Torey's name spelled wrong (Torrey). I corrected it, and now it's listed as a separate edition from all the others. I'm new so don't know how to combine books and don't want to mess things up. :) So if anyone wants to correct this:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38...

message 6: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments It's combined now :)

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laurelb) | 19 comments yay! thanks. :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments For this book, if you don't want new combines to go to the Indonesian/most popular one, you'll need to separate out one of the other English language editions and then combine that with the new English language edition and then combine those combined editions with all the rest of them. Just fyi.

Same goes for any book where the most popular edition is an audio or foreign language one and the one you're about to combine is an English language text book.