Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The Fridge/Cabinet Food Experiment

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My wife and kids are out of town this week, until Saturday afternoon. I was cleaning the kitchen yesterday when I realized that I have a cabinet and refrigerator full of food but still go out and buy more food. I want to change that. Am I the only one like that? Do you have food in the fridge/cabinet but still buy more out of habit/whatever? What's in the back of your refrigerator/cabinet that's not getting eaten? Why?

So this week, here's my challenge. I'm not going to buy any food this week. I'm going to eat the food in my fridge and cabinet. I'm not going to go out for any meals (which I hardly do anyway). Three caveats:

1) I might buy fruit and milk if I run out, but those are different.
2) I'm going out of town for the day Friday, so Friday doesn't count except for breakfast and maybe a late dinner.
3) I don't have a third caveat.

What does this mean, for example? Instead of buying more tortillas at Coscto I'm going to eat the flatbread I bought but haven't been in the mood for lately. I'm feeling like a spoiled American and I want to get past that, even just a little.

Comments?

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Dec 30, 2008 12:07PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RA, I've been doing the same thing, except everything in my fridge has amounted to a serious case of reflux. Enough that I tossed out some of my faves while I had the urge.

So, I had to cave in yesterday and buy some chicken and rice... I'm eating plain old boiled chicken and rice. The thought of anything else makes me nauseous.

shellyindallas Good luck. I'm really bad about that stuff. I'll see something at the store that I NEVER eat and go "I should eat more of this!" Of course it just sits in my fridge and rots. Brusell Sprouts come to mind. I like them when I'm out and there on the menu. But when I buy then I have no idea what to do w/ them. Pita bread is another one. And Hummus. It'll sound so good when I'm at the store, but then once it's in the fridge I'm just not interested. I haven't reached your level of guilt about letting them sit there, or trashing them, though. Not yet, anyway.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, if you bring home some veggies that you "should" eat, you have to eat them immediately the day you bought them, or they'll get shuffled behind other stuff, and it'll never happen.

I'm not bad about eating up the stuff in the kitchen. But if the kitchen is messy already before dinner is even started, I am very tempted to just order pizza instead of making the mess even worse.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments By the end of the week, RA is going to be subsisting on peanut butter and beer, I bet...

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Dec 30, 2008 01:49PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) We've been really good about this lately, mostly because we're trying to save money until Brent finds another job. It really came to our attention when we came back from New York. We'd told our housesitters they could help themselves to any food in the house, and they did. They ate practically EVERYTHING! We realized they probably didn't buy any food the entire week they were here. If they can do it, so can we!

Also, we're doing a 3-week fast starting January 4, so we've been trying to eat all of the "illegal" stuff in the house before then. I'm looking forward to this fast not only cleaning out my body, but cleaning out my fridge and cabinets too. On January 3 we're going to toss anything that we don't eat before then and fill the fridge with only water, fruits, veggies, and whole grains (we don't even get any meat or dairy during this fast).

Yogurt is the thing I always buy and never eat. I know it's really good for me, but I'm never in the mood.

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Dec 30, 2008 01:56PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I carry yogurt back and forth with me to work quite often, Sarah. I'm supposed to eat it for lunch, but then it just doesn't look good when lunch time rolls around. So I take it home again.
The times I DO manage to eat yogurt for lunch, I invariably spill some on my pants. How's that for negative reinforcement!

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 30, 2008 02:15PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha...yogurt pants. I've been there.

I love yogurt. I buy it in those huge boxes at Costco and eat at least a couple every day. It's good to mix with protein powder, too.

Ok, day one, I did not buy anything. I had whole foods macaroni and cheese with peas for lunch. For dinner I'll probably have a spinach/orange/carrot salad to make up for some ice cream I had this afternoon.

I cleaned out my cabinets today, Sarah! But it was more for cosmetic purposes. They were messy and unorganized. I put some food in a storage container in the basement. We don't need ready access to the four thousand boxes of brownie mix my wife bought when they were on sale. I should probably clean the fridge, too. Maybe tomorrow.

message 9: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments My biggest buy & not eat thing is salad. I love salad bars when I go out and pile it high on my plate & enjoy the heck outta it in the restaurant. Then I resolve to eat more healthy greens at home, buy a whole bunch of fairly yummy salad fixins' and they just sit in my veggie drawer until it's all a pile of mush. When I do try to make that amazing salad at home, it just doesn't taste the same. What is up with that?!!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Bottled dressings are never as good as restaurant dressings.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
My greens at home are Never Ever as crisp and crunchy as nice restaurant meals. I feel like the last restaurant I worked at basically froze their iceberg lettuce. And they kept it freshly washed in these giant containers that let it sit loosely.

I think half of my problem with homemade salads is the way I store the greens in my fridge.

One thing I do like at restaurants that I've been able to re-create at home is creamed spinach.
I'd like to make some homemade cheese and make some Saag Aloo.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yum.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24292 comments Mod
1. Yes, pita bread and hummus are two things I would buy and then realize I don't really like them, so they'd sit uneaten. I don't buy them anymore.

2. Bananas...I can never eat them all before they go mushy. I don't buy more than one or two at a time now. I don't even really like bananas!

3. Brussels sprouts I love and will always eat. I'll eat them by themselves, stir fry them, cook them along with rice, whatever. One of my favorite foods.

4. I often have couscous in the cabinet and it never just sits there. Because it's the easiest, fastest thing to make for dinner, it always gets et.

5. I usually consume about 80-90% of a salad dressing before it goes bad.

6. I always seem to have one or two boxes of crackers that sounded really good when I bought them but turned out to be horrible. Usually it's something overflavored, like "rosemary crackers." Eventually they go totally stale and I toss them.

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Maybe it's because I live alone but I never have this problem. I make a large pot or two of food every weekend that just goes in tupperware boxes so no cooking (except reheating) during the week.

This means I just go out and buy what I need for the week and once all the cooking's done I only have the basics left in the fridge and cupboards.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Holy thread revival!

1. Every week is a constant race to eat my CSA veg before they go bad. I usually win, but sometimes it comes close. I always have lots of fruit, and always eat it in time.

2. Sometimes yogurt or hummus goes bad in my fridge just because I don't eat it for a few days and then forget.

3. I do tend to put some bulk items aside and not make them because I'm lazy. I have nice dried beans but then I buy canned or fresh beans and use those first. I always forget about my bulk couscous and lentils and farro. I want to use it, but since it's bulk it involves looking up how to cook it instead of just checking a box.

4. I like to do what Hayley does: cook everything all at once and eat leftovers until they're gone.

5. I also like to turn on the oven one night a week and roast everything: squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, tofu, beets, etc. Then I put them aside and use them in different dishes all week.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

I hate leftovers.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "I hate leftovers."

That's crazytalk.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, leftover chili is good. Leftover Indian is amazing.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Leftover Italian is better than fresh Italian, usually. If you're talking pasta.

message 20: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I eat leftovers about 3-4 times per week. I usually make something on a Monday that I can make into something else on a Tuesday.

Spaghetti with meat sauce becomes spaghetti soup or lazy lasagna on Tuesday. Steak on Wednesday becomes steak salad or steak sandwiches on Thurs.

I love leftover pasta & chilli- it’s always better the second day.

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Leftover Italian is better than fresh Italian..."

That sounds like something Groucho would have said to Chico.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Or Mussolini to Clara Petacci.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.