Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Bush, Katrina, and his Legacy (New Orleans and moon pies)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 30, 2008 03:39AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a short but interesting article that says Katrina was the tipping point for Bush's presidency. It also makes some interesting assertions about Bush as a "Sarah Palin-like President". What do you think? Ooh, speaking of Palin, congrats, Grandma...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/a...

Oh, and here's an article with Rice and Laura Bush speaking of the current president (and don't you almost forget he's still president?).

http://www.japantoday.com/category/wo...

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ho hum

shellyindallas I don't know...I think, unfortunately, Americans (myself shamefully included) have a short term memory for stuff like Katrina. Sure his incompetence in that situation will be remembered, but not nearly as much as his BS WMDs, the Patriot Act, illegal wiretapping, Guantanamo, and all the other rights we were stripped of for "National Security."

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well, Katrina was when my opinion of him started to really go down. Not that I blame the federal government entirely, mind you. The local governments handled things pretty abysmally. Maybe it's because I have friends in NOLA but Katrina is still very much on my mind.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane I'm with Shelly on this one. Bush has made idiot mistake after idiot mistake. Maybe Katrina was when some Americans finally realized that their president was an idiot. How those aides can pin it on that one thing and leave out everything else is what I don't understand. And to blame it on a natural disaster and an act of God, too, is a total cop out. Whatever.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (last edited Dec 30, 2008 10:28PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
There were just so many stupid moves made. Was that really the first noticeable one made?
Katrina really freaked me out because I really could be living there, married, now. I was this close to moving there once upon a time.

CHachanges! Time to make a change, Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Where's your shame
You've left us up to our necks in it
Time may change me
But you can't trace time

It is so weird to think about could have been, would have beens. Like what if Bush had responded differently/somehow prevented 9-11...would subsequent events have been quite as terribly managed as well? Was it a slippery slope of terribleness, or was it just a complete random set of unfortunates?

message 7: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) Here's something i just learned about the other day.

I knew Blackwater had showed up in New Orleans, but I just read an article in The Nation about how there were white vigilante groups roving around Algiers Point, a neighborhood in New Orleans that avoided the flood. And they hunted down black people like lynch squads afraid they were "looting" when they were just looking to escape the flooding. There is one clear case of a shooting victim who survived the vigilante group and many witnesses who saw other shootings and several dead bodies of black people in the neighborhood. Most of the dead bodies wound up in the New Orleans morgue, and the NOPD never even pursued the cases that were clearly homicides. They made no effort whatsoever to investigate.

I've heard that Spike Lee's HBO documentary WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE talks about one of these shootings.

shellyindallas Oh god. That's terrible. I saw the Spike Lee HBO special, but not all at once and all the way through so I didn't see any mention of that. I'd like to read that article, though. If you remember where it is, could you link it?

message 9: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) I do have a link to it on The Nation site, but i'm not sure if you can read the whole thing if you're not a subscriber. Subscribers get access to every article online, the full archive (since the early 1800s! The Nation is the U.S. oldest weekly news magazine.) I do highly recommend The Nation as an investigative, progressive news source. I've been reading it for over 20 years.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090105...

If that doesn't work, let me know, and i could try to cut and paste the article and email you directly. It's pretty long.

message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Sally, I always planned on ending up in N.O. eventually. Living along he MS Coast was like being in a really far out suburb of New Orleans. (What's an exurb y'all?) I love that city so much. I thought seriously about Tulane Law right up until the Katrina aftermath. Now, it's just heartbreaking to go there. Still. So much of it still looks like nuclear holocaust, like a sci-fi movie. And it's just not safe. But then I think, the city NEEDS skilled folks moving back...

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Right.

I, too, considered Tulane very seriously for grad school. But it is just such a different world there now than it was before. I think my heart might break if I were to visit and see it so different from the days when it was so vibrant and full of love.
I know of many people in Americorps/Teach for America who are stationed in New Orleans. Brave souls.

message 12: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Heh interesting articles... I think I've made it clear how I feel about this presidency. It was AWESOME!

Feels like it's been over for awhile, but we still have 20 days to go.

I see Larry is as insightful as ever.

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Larry's upset that he can't come see Mobile's Moonpie tonight.

"It cuts across economic status. It cuts across race. The Moon Pie brings people together."

Now that's some powerful pastry! No wonder Larry is dejected.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah!

message 15: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Buck up, Larry! I told you I'd send you some moonpies at Mardi Gras. Did you at least get to see Jupiter and Mercury?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes I did. You were right -- they showed up here, too. You're just so smart!

Here's a secret: I don't really like moonpies. I just like the idea of using one to kick off the New Year. Thanks for the offer, though.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (last edited Dec 31, 2008 04:45PM) (new)

What are moon pies?

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments *shrieks*

You don't know, Sally?!

message 20: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments They throw 'em at Mardi Gras.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

I caught tons of stuff at Mardi Gras, but never those!

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Minds, someday we need to meet up in New Orleans and listen to Ani.

message 23: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Oh man, she was at the House of Blues over there last year and I was SOOOOO pissed I couldn't go.

(But I am going to see Dar Williams in Birmingham in January!)

I'm not sure if moonpies are as big a deal in N.O. Mardi Gras as they are in Mobile.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) If you're in NOLA I hope you're listening to a lot more than just Ani! SOOOOOO much brilliant music there! Including my favorite:

http://www.bonerama.net

There may be some Bonerama on my shebang.

message 25: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments And I still haven't ruled out Tulane completely. I didn't score very high on my LSAT, so it kinda deflated my whole national homelessness policy work bubble. Maybe I'll stay regional and do poverty and housing law. Gawd knows, there's enough of that to do in N.O.

You should come for JazzFest, Sally!

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

I will. I've been wanting to for years and years and years.

message 27: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Haha, Bonerama sounds awesome! I bet they'll be at JazzFest!

message 28: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Even being this close, I've never made it to a JazzFest. Something always ended up coming up.

OMGOMGOMG!!!!!

Erykah Badu is at JazzFest in 2009!

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

Well, that seals it for me!

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Don't tempt me, Mindy.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mindy, the Bones are ALWAYS at Jazzfest! They're super nice guys, too. You should check out their music. The song on my shebang has them playing with OK GO but my favorite song of theirs is called Bap Bap. It's my ringtone.

http://www.myspace.com/bonerama

message 31: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments LOL, I went to see something called the Spiritual Symphony one year in N.O. One of the Marsalis brothers composed this mix of orchestra and gospel. And Aaron Neville came out and sang one song, and I was in tears like a freaking teenager (and I was 30). Not b/c of the song, although anything he sings is beautiful, but b/c I was "this close" to Aaron Neville. My friend who went with me thought I was gonna jump down onto the stage. (We were in like a loge? seat.)

message 32: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments "Santa ate too many red beans!"

BWAHAHAH!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.