Literature & Film discussion

1 view
Book/Film Suggestions: The List

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Alison I am including what I could tell to be suggestions for this group to read together rather than every movie recommended or discussed in general. If you suggested a movie that's not on this list, just add it below. If I slaughtered the name of your beloved book or film, let me know.

Also, to newcomers, this list is consideration for January's reading. December's reading/viewing will be "The Postman Always Rings Twice" by James M. Cain.

Contempt (Mororia/Godard)
Ripley's Game/The American Friend
The Marquise of O*
Tristram Shandy
Shoot the Piano Player
Two English Girls
Rashomon
Night Breed/Cabal
No Country for Old Men
Perespolis
The Golden Compass
The Human Stain
The Shining
Lolita
any adaptation of Graham Greene
any adaptation of Nathanael West
Mishima (Shrader)*
The Sheltering Sky
Being There
The Goalie's Anxiety*
The Conformist*
Tess/Tess of the D'ubervilles
Cobra Verde/Viceroy of Ouidah
Anything directed by Kubrick
Anything directed by Hitchcock
Pulp: Chandler, Hammett, Goodis, Woolrich, Highsmith (Purple Noon?); i.e. The Thin Man, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Double Indemnity
The Innocents/The Turn of the Screw
Macbeth/Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, & others (Welles, Polanski)
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Slaughterhouse Five
The Tin Drum
Blow Up
Candy
Oscar & Lucinda
Blue Angel (Francine Prose)/Blue Angel with Marlene Dietrich)
Women in the Dunes
The Loved One
The Collector
The Chosen
The Pawnbroker
Dracula
Atonement
Lost Honour of Katherina Blum*
Il Gattopardo (The Leopard)--Giuseppe di Lampedusa/Visconti

*questionable availability

message 2: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Alison P.S. If anyone wants more reading discussion in December, the Rory Gilmore book club (it's better than it sounds, I promise) is currently voting for one classic and one contemporary book among the following:

Little Women
A Christmas Carol
Holidays on Ice
The Portable Dorothy Parker
Me Talk Pretty One Day
Great Expectations

The contemporary will likely be Holidays on Ice (David Sedaris), but if you're really not that into him, it's only 167 pages and not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes. It could be fun! As far as the classic, I'm hoping for Dickens or Dorothy Parker. Either way, it could be fun, too. (And you don't have to read both--you could pick one ) O.K., enough.

message 3: by Jim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Jim | 45 comments I'm sure everyone knows Atonement is the selection 2nd to the end of the list

please add No Country for Old Men

also with these many choices, it seems like one selection could win without getting that many votes.

How about having voting 1st choice - second choice - 3rd choice with 1st choice getting 3 pts, 2nd 2 pts and 3rd getting 1 pt obviously.
Winning choice is one with most points of course.

if this is unworkable or you don't have time to tabulate votes, let me know and if you need me to tabulate votes or help I will.

If anyone has had negative experience with above suggestion or know that it doesn't work or any objections, please let everyone know.

message 4: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
Thanks so much Alison for putting this together. I'll create the final voting list over the weekend and add director/author info since I'm sure there are some titles that people aren't familiar with. There are a few I don't know about so I may ask some of you for more info!

For those who suggested broad categories such as anything by various pulp writers, we'll really need specific titles as far as what we actually vote on. I know a lot of you mentioned interest in these writers so please speak up on those! Big Sleep, Thin Man? Just let me know and I'll add them.

Also, I may remove a few things that are out of print or not available on DVD so we can make the monthly readings/screenings accessible to everyone. Please don't fret if something you like is removed. Just go ahead and start a discussion on it. We're not stuck to just the monthly readings.

Jim, thanks for the voting suggestion. I will try this as it does seem like a good idea.

message 5: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments Many thanks to Alison for putting together the list. Kimley's point about weeding some of the harder-to-find items is a good one . I noticed, for example, that while the film version of "Lost Honour of Katherina Blum" is supposedly available, I'll bet it's not that easy to find it at your local video store. And I'll bet the book i even harder to find, unfortunately. But this raises a question about accessibility that will probably affect any choice on this list. It would seem that the ability to find books and films that are easily accessible may limit future choices to either "classics" or relatively contemporary titles. It's unfortunate, but I can't think of any way around it.
An example: One of my favorite novels ever is a late-60s bit of post-Salinger angst called "Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker" by David Boyer. Don't feel bad if you haven't heard of it. It's probably been out of print since 1972. There's a film version called simply "Pigeons". I've never seen it, it was barely released, and , to the best of my knowledge has never appeared on video in any format. As much as I would love to find out how other people in this group respond to it, unless we somehow decide to distribute copies amongst ourselves in digital samizdat style and find someone out there who's willing to do the same with a copy of the film ... - well, we're all at the mercy of random discoveries in used bookstores..
Well, that's an extreme case perhaps..but not the only one. "Berlin Alexanderplatz (the movie) has just become available after being more or less impossible to see for more than 20 years. "Mishima" has never been released on DVD, I'm pretty sure "The Marquise of O" (the film) is out of print, though you might be able to find a copy of the Fox/Lorber release of a few years ago. "The Goalie's Anxiety" - both film and book - seem to be completely unavailable. I know that Moravia's "Contempt" is in print, but I'm not sure about "The Conformist"
It's unfortunate that as much as we'd like to believe that we now have complete global access to just about anything and that - as the penguin lovers at Linux say - "information wants to be free", there are still lots of gaps.I'm happy to share my own copies of the more obscure titles, but that only goes so far...
Sorry for rambling, but I'll certainly be taking an interest in the voting process for the next choice. There's a lot out there worth giving a look. (I don't want to cloud the issue any further, but I can easily think of another 20 or so titles worth adding..all of which should keep the list hopping for a while. I'll hold them off record now in deference to the democratic process...)

message 6: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
Robert, I feel your pain! Several titles that I'm interested in, including several that you mentioned, are not available. It is definitely a very sad state of affairs.

But I'm actually really excited by this list. I'm interested in nearly everything on it which is pretty amazing to me.

And here, this might make you a bit happy... I found the Boyer book you mentioned quite easily - used, of course, but the internet does actually make it much easier to locate these kinds of things. Here are several copies available on Alibris for anyone interested:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?tit...

message 7: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments Wow, I'm impressed that the book was so easily found. But of course the movie version remains pretty obscure. I guess my point was that if we find ourselves as a group looking for boks or films that are not readily available, we'll have to come up with a system of sharing/duplicating material. But I share your enthusiasm about this list in general and would be happy with almost any of the choices on the list (right now I'm leaning towards "The Leopard" with "Contempt" as 2nd place). The discussions about "A Clockwork Orange" have been excellent, the future choices certainly include some equally important books and films