Quirky humour discussion

We need a Moderator

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Doug | 20 comments Mod
Folks,

Anyone want to be the moderator of this group? Both Jenny and Anders have been lost to Goodreads...it truly is our loss that they chose to leave.

I will put myself as the interim moderator - anyone is welcome to join me or take over as moderator, just let me know. :)Doug

message 2: by Elyse (last edited Apr 22, 2008 03:50PM) (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 9 comments Hi Doug!
I for one think you make a wonderful moderator...you lead I'll follow. By the way, this being the quirky humour group and all…have you read any Terry Pratchett yet?

message 3: by Doug (new)

Doug | 20 comments Mod
Hi Elyse,

I hope all is well with you and your family. Yes, I read "Going Postal" awhile ago and am currently listening to "Thud". I will start a seperate thread for him. :)Doug

message 4: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 9 comments All is well on this end, how are you and yours?
Thank you for adding Pratchett...what did you think of what you've read so far?

message 5: by Doug (new)

Doug | 20 comments Mod
Elyse,

It is good to hear that - everyone is fine on my end - they are looking forward to Summer and the freedom from school.

I have really enjoyed the two books I have read (or listened to) by Pratchett. I am starting to get hooked. Do you have a favorite? He has written so much, I am not sure which one to start next. :)Doug

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 9 comments Hmmmm one of my personal favorites is "Reaper man" its a parody of "Death Takes a Holiday"...wonderful and absurd as only Pratchett can achieve.

He has quite a few…I think you would enjoy the Wizards; try “The Colour of Magic” and let me know what you think.

The premise surrounding his books are broken down into the varying lives of the different creatures that live in his world (Discworld) as I’m sure you know…The Witches, very funny they live out in the mountainous regions. The Wizards, very absurd they run the Unseen University in the middle of Ankh-Morpork. The Watch, my favorites they are the “police” for Ankh-Morpork…their antics keep me rolling every time. Now, in his later books, he follows the lives of those interacting within Ankh-Morpork like in “Going Postal”.

All his characters are fascinating and his parodies run from classic Shakespeare to Phantom of the Opera. I think though one of my most favorite characters is Death… “Hogfather”, where Death is substituting for Santa….fabulous!

message 7: by Doug (new)

Doug | 20 comments Mod
Elyse,

Thank you for recommendations, I appreciate it. I really liked "Thud" which was of course about the police. The police were quite funny. I liked Death in Thud. Are there any novels where Death takes the lead - Doug

message 8: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 9 comments Absolutely...Reaper Man, Hogfather...he makes appearances in pretty much all of Pratchett's books; but those two he stands center stage.~Elyse

message 9: by Doug (new)

Doug | 20 comments Mod
Elyse,

Thank you! Doug