Horse Whisperers discussion

Books that are Similar to Evans

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
For now I only got at almsot the same level of intensity for me and then especially to the level it got for me with The loop, was A prdoigal summer by Barbara Kingsolver. It is pretty difficult to meet his kind of writing and what it does with me.

message 2: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
I really can't think any author has portrayed human feelings so well... perhaps the Kite Runner to some extent.

message 3: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
I really didn't like The kite runner at all. But I did like Thousand splendid suns....a lot but it was nothing liek Nicholas Evans. Just a very good book. Those I give four stars, the treasures get five. You know those that really make you feel like after finishing the book, your heart stands still for a second...

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
It becomes like a part of your deepest self....it is so strong on how you feel, how to go on you don't know...

message 5: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Kite Runner was a bit too intense.. but maybe that's what happened in Afghanistan, not much like Evans but yeah, it was pretty moving for me.

message 6: by Kathy (last edited Jan 08, 2009 09:02AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments In trying to think of some authors whose writing or books might be similar to Evans, I thought of Robert McCammon. I've only read one of his books thus far,Boy's Life , but there are similar aspects to Evans in that it is a story with layers and good character development. You all might enjoy it, too. I have another of his books, The Wolf's Hour, on my to-read list. Let me know if you all have read either of these.

Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon

message 7: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I haven't read either of them but would love to.

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Kite Runner was a bit too intense.. but maybe that's what happened in Afghanistan, not much like Evans but yeah, it was pretty moving for me."

i thought it was a bit too pushy.

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "In trying to think of some authors whose writing or books might be similar to Evans, I thought of Robert McCammon. I've only read one of his books thus far,[b:Boy's Life|11553|Boy's Life|Robert R...."

haven't heard of this one Kathy, but this can be a challenge! I mean, if you come up with him, then I am very curious. I have to admit that it will be extremely difficult to find someone for me to match with Nicholas Evans. But if there is a chance that there is another writer at his level....then I am not letting the chance pass to find out.

message 10: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Jeane wrote i thought it was a bit too pushy.

I felt a little that way Jeane when I finished the novel. It seemed a little too dramatic and exagerrated but it was a pretty riveting story. Obviously, Khaled Hosseini has different strengths than Nicholas Evans. I personally felt Evans is a more mature and descriptive author while Hosseini is more of a 'romantic heroism' kind of author.

message 11: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay, I can't even compare them :-) But did like A thousand splendid suns, enough to give it four stars on GR.

message 12: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Accepted.
:)

message 13: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

:)
*gives the typical Mr.Bean nod back*

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments I've read The Wolf's Hour, it's pretty good but I haven't read it in a couple of years.

message 15: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

The Wolf's hour... hmmmm.. that sounds good. What was it about Andrew? Are you comparing it to the Loop? We all are pretty obsessed about anything regarding wolves, currently.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments The Wolf's Hour was about a man who spied during World War II in Nazi Germany. When he was young his parents were killed by troops and he escaped into the woods. He stumbled upon a werewolf clan and the book follows his journey becoming apart of them and then him falling in love with one of the members. A tragedy occurs and he is left alone. The story switches back from present time to the time that he was with the clan. Some major differences from normal werewolves is the fact that they can change whenever they want to and are not constrained by the moon.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments I posted about the Wolf's Hour in response to the previous post concerning it.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Andrew wrote: "I posted about the Wolf's Hour in response to the previous post concerning it."

The one by Kathy

message 19: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Sounds quite cool Andrew. It goes straight into my tbr. I'll see if I can get it.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments After your description, Andrew, of The Wolf's Hour, I'm moving it up on my to-read list. I mentioned it and Boy's Life as possibly comparing to Evans because they both seem to be excellent writers who have layered stories with well-developed characters.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Atishay wrote: "Sounds quite cool Andrew. It goes straight into my tbr. I'll see if I can get it. "
I'm glad to be of service.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments ^^ I'm glad I could help.

message 23: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Have you read The Loop (Nicholas Evans) Andrew? Its about wolves again.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona wrote: "I shall push Andrew Taylor - he writes mostly crime/mystery/thriller based novels and different in subject to Evans, but his writing is beautiful like Evans' is. :)"

Thanks Fiona. He sounds like a good one. I'm going to look him up.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments OMG, Fiona, the first book I came to of Taylor's was An American Boy, a literary thriller about Poe. I love literary thrillers and I love Poe. I have to order this book. Of course, I'd like your opinion on it, too, if you've read this one. What are your favorites by Taylor?

message 26: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Andrew Taylor is sounding nice.. will see if I can get something on him.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Atishay wrote: "Have you read The Loop (Nicholas Evans) Andrew? Its about wolves again. "

No I have not.. I shall have to add that to my to read shelf.

message 28: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

That would be great Andrew. In fact, read it as soon as you can lay your hands on it. It's that good.
If you haven't read anything by Nicholas Evans, do add his Horse Whisperer and The Divide to your tbr too.

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 8 comments Atishay wrote: "That would be great Andrew. In fact, read it as soon as you can lay your hands on it. It's that good.
If you haven't read anything by Nicholas Evans, do add his Horse Whisperer and The Divide t..."

Will do.

message 30: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "Atishay wrote: "That would be great Andrew. In fact, read it as soon as you can lay your hands on it. It's that good.
If you haven't read anything by Nicholas Evans, do add his Horse Whisperer ..."

And The smoke Jumper and in a bit The brave....:-)

message 31: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah, that too. Thanks Jeane! :P

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Thanks, Fiona for the additional information on Taylor.