Study Buddies discussion

Discuss Magic Study > The Scent of Magic?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
I know you're jealous. I bought the Twilight perfume and it's actually not bad! Lavender + freesia... definitely Bella, and I know my friend Becci would love the kind of funereal smell. ^_^

What do you think Yelena's perfume would be if a company created Poison Study merchandise?

I kind of hope Lavender & Ylang Ylang... an Aveda-like natural scent.

Any other ideas?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
I'm not good with scents--Never did like perfumes myself. But I'm thinking of a glass blown bottle with a butterfly shaped top. Sea green.

message 3: by Sanzida (new)

Sanzida | 15 comments Lol. natural scent...I forget what that smells like...

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria V. Snyder (maria_v_snyder) | 186 comments Jane, you might not be good with scents, but you nailed the packaging :> I love the bottle color and style - I'm hoping for a sea green color on the cover of Sea Glass.

A lavender based scent would make the most sense *grin* But that would seem like we were copying Twilight. I'm starting to hear that alot - some readers are asking me if I wrote Yelena to be so strong and independant in response to Twilight - actually, Poison Study came out the same month (October 2005) as Twilight - both were hardcovers by debut authors :)

Alas....*dramatic sigh* I didn't get quite the same....following.... :)

Back on topic - I think the perfume wouldn't be light and delicate - Yelena is no shrinking violet ;>

message 5: by Sanzida (new)

Sanzida | 15 comments oooh. that sounds like Mariah Carey's new Perfume called M. I don't know what it smells like, but Ellen DeGeneres said "smores." I'm not sure why you'd want to smell like that.

Side note: I don't like Twilight series--never got past the first chapter...and my friends who read the Twilight series said that Poison Study was better in A LOT ways...

message 6: by Alethea (last edited Jan 02, 2009 11:23AM) (new)

Wow, I hope ours doesn't smell like smores! I hate perfumey things that smell like food! (well, unless you count the time I was 14 and only liked apple-scented stuff.) Makes you hungry, would be very bad for dieters!

I just got an ylang-ylang scented shampoo for Christmas, so that's what made me think of this topic. (Ylang Ylang actually grows in my mother country, the Philippines.) Also I was in Whole Foods with Liz last November, discussing the book, and we both got hooked on their lavender soap!

I guess to be true to the book, it'd have to be top notes of lavender and wood smoke, mid-notes of ylang-ylang and forest leaves, and some undertones of cacao, horse sweat, and bat guano... What does Curare smell like, again? I keep thinking of it as Vicks Vaporub...

This is gonna be an awesome perfume...

message 7: by Alethea (last edited Jan 02, 2009 11:28AM) (new)

Maria V. wrote: "Alas....*dramatic sigh* I didn't get quite the same....following.... :) "

Hey, what are we, chopped liver? (^_^) I don't we'll ever get up to a post-Twilight-movie-sized fanbase, although I keep thinking that people who loved Twilight + people who hated Twilight = a lot of people.

But we're working on it. Did you see the latest to-read shelf numbers for Poison Study? almost 600!

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments I'm sorry that Twilight got a bigger following, I personally like your writing style more, and I read both series this year, a couple months apart. I have since gotten my husband to read them, my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and a friend. They all loved the books. They are hard to find though and that may be part of the problem.

As for the scent I think it should be lavender, but then with something kind of spicy or more sassy! Maybe something citrus-sy, like lemon, or more exotic like passion fruit and spicy like hmm, a hint of cloves? I would wear it. If it smelled good, LOL.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Yelena needs to smell like lavender-who cares if people think it's copying twilight? Besides, I didn't imagine Bella smelling like lavender nor did Meyer specify that scent.
It's hard to say why some books get huge followings and other's don't. However, when I picked up Poison Study, the cashier did say that a lot of people were getting into this series. Just spread the word people! :)

message 10: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments How about oranges... not rotten though! ;)

message 11: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments What about a name?
Butterfly Dust, Butterfly Soul... Any suggestions?

message 12: by Sanzida (new)

Sanzida | 15 comments I agree with Rachel-- Yelena needs to smell like lavender. There could be another perfume as a follow up with either Ylang-Ylang or a citrus-y smell.
And then there is Valek's and Irys's perfumes? I think Valek smells like musk (which I don't know) and something else. I forgot about Irys...:-(

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4 comments I personally think that Lavender Lady has a nice ring to it; Lilac or Lily Lady just wouldn't quite make the cut in my book. And, honestly, even if Bella did smell like lavender in the books, why would it matter? I'm not a copyright expert, but I'm fairly certain you cannot copyright a scent. Anyway, this is just a question from someone who joined this group late--are they actually discussing making Poison Study into a movie? I caught the discussions about a certain actor portraying Valek, and now I'm lost. Please help! Thank you!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 38 comments Alethea wrote: "I know you're jealous. I bought the Twilight perfume and it's actually not bad! Lavender + freesia... definitely Bella, and I know my friend Becci would love the kind of funereal smell. ^_^

What..."

I don't know what I'd do with Yelena - but I wouldn't do lavendar - I'd do something fresh and green and fruity - something you'd find in the jungle - and lavendar isn't in the jungle. I think maybe mandarin, something green, and clove... I don't know - sweet and green with a little kick - like cinnamon or something. Though lavendar would put a nice, powdery smell to it... Hmm... Too many choices!

But I think amber and musk for a smoky male scent for Valek - maybe even some pine or pine sap for a woodsy scent - because he has to smell in an unremarkable way to those he hunts... but masculine when Yelena smells him up close.

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) | 27 comments What about if the perfume is the perfume she liked we she was little appleberry? Forgot =/. And Valek... Sandalwood and Pine... its sweet but manly... it has multiple layers like Valek's personality. =)

message 16: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments <--is no good with scents either. Has anyone hear heard of Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs? That's pretty much the extent of my perfume experience (mostly because I'm not allergic to whatever their base is--though I still have to watch out for Rose scented ones). I've always liked the smell of hibiscus tho (for some reason I want to say that Nutty brings to mind cinnamon, I don't know why).

I didn't know Twilight and Poison Study came out at the same time--I had to be practically thrown into the Twilight fandom (and even then I'm in it for the lulz mostly...the fandom is crazy!).

message 17: by Keelin (last edited Jan 16, 2009 06:46AM) (new)

Keelin | 96 comments wer do you get the twilight perfume as im obsessed with that film/books series as well as this one...i was into this one first though...better story line :D

i have no idea about perfumes only ones i like and ones i dont but u made a point of noting that yelena smelled like lavender to valek in the first book so u had it first....also Irys' perfume is apple-berry made by yelenas mother....ive read it that many times ive almost got it memorised

please please please make it into a film. i love film/book sort of things hence why i love twilight and harry potter. At least with a book, the story line can never be warped too much from the original plot plus Poisin Study is better suited to beng made into a film than Twilight.

message 18: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments I don't do many perfumes the seem to give me a headache but I may just have to try this one out. Where can I find it, anyone know?

message 19: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Keelin wrote: "wer do you get the twilight perfume as im obsessed with that film/books series as well as this one...i was into this one first though...better story line :D

i have no idea about perfumes only on..."

I have to agree with you Keelin although I must say that they murdered the Eragon Movie when they made it, there was so much left out and it didn't really follow the story the way it could have. I believe that they could have made that series just as good as the Harry Potter series if they had a better director.

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments They did murder the Eragon movie, I don't know why they changed so much. The editing I understand. But, why change the story? The readers liked it, chances are movie goers would have too!

message 21: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments I really hope that someone else will take up the script and rewrite it. They could make this Movie unbelievable.

message 22: by Jane (new)

Maria V. wrote: "Jane, you might not be good with scents, but you nailed the packaging :> I love the bottle color and style - I'm hoping for a sea green color on the cover of Sea Glass..."

I saw a place in San Diego next to the History museum that holds classes for glass making. I'm thinking of going and try making one of these bottles.

message 23: by Jane (last edited Feb 03, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Alethea wrote: "I know you're jealous. I bought the Twilight perfume..."

I know I said this before:
GEEK!
In a good way.

Though I really liked the books, I would not buy anything relating to the Twilight movie.

Study and Glass series I would though...

Like a perfume bottle made by Opal for Yelena. And I'll never open it.

message 24: by Meme (last edited Feb 04, 2009 04:14AM) (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Jane wrote: "Alethea wrote: "I know you're jealous. I bought the Twilight perfume..."

GEEK!
In a good way.

Though I really liked the books, I would not buy anything relating to the ..."

of course not that is why you buy two one to put up and one to use LOL

message 25: by Thu (new)

Thu | 136 comments I always thought Yelena should smell like lavender but Bella, I never really thought of a scent for her because I thought she wasn't into like make-up and perfume.

message 26: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Jane wrote: "Alethea wrote: "I know you're jealous. I bought the Twilight perfume..."

GEEK!
In a good way.

Though I really liked the books, I would not buy anything relating to the ..."

I would love to have a bottle made by Opal and the sent made by her mom that would be awesome, then I would by two one to use one to put up and not touch LOL

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather | 23 comments I think the scent would have to have lavender in it, since "Lavender Lady" is how the horses refer to her. You could add something else to it, not sure what would be good although I love the Downy Vanilla Lavender scent.