Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb, Queen Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb | 2463 comments Mod
read and discuss

please preface your comments with how far along you are in your reading

message 2: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Sandi ❣	 (TakingTime) | 11414 comments Mod
I just recently got this book. Hafta finish my Hannah book, then plan to read this one. I may not read any comments in this thread until I complete the book....just in case I get swayed by someone else's opinion. I will be back to post later this month.

message 3: by Diane S ☔ (last edited May 06, 2012 03:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ | 6683 comments FINISHED. This is relatively simple in plot but complex in moral dilemmas which ended up making it quite a powerful read. Can definitely see quite a bit to discuss with this book. Is anyone else planning to read this one?

Britany | 3964 comments I'm planning on it, but I'm #67 in line at the library... :/ Fingers crossed that I get it before the month ends...

Rachel Brown | 8 comments I am planning to read this book..have promised my son that I would finish Hunger Games first...then I will read this one...it look so interesting.

♥ Amanda (Amandamullins) | 1488 comments Britany wrote: "I'm planning on it, but I'm #67 in line at the library... :/ Fingers crossed that I get it before the month ends..."

I have the same problem Britany! I probably won't get to it until July!

message 7: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane I have it and plan to read it before months end.

message 8: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 112 comments I have just read this book, and I agree that although the plot is pretty straightforward, the moral and spiritual questions raised are quite provoking. I am trying not to give too much away for those who have not finished the book.

message 9: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie (cjcreads) | 1535 comments Haven't been able to get this yet....but sounds like one I need to put on my "as soon as possible" list!

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Pamela wrote: "New member, and I just started the book. I'll weigh in after I've gotten into it a bit..."
Hi and Welcome! I've just puchased and haven't started it yet. I'm anxious to get going though!

Jayme VA | 1 comments Hi, haven't been active in this group, but I just finished this yesterday. I loved it- read it if you can!

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jblei) Finished. I certainly couldn't put it down once I got started.

I'm not usually a fan of books with unreliable narrators, but Grace is a fascinating character. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Aenea wrote: "Finished. I certainly couldn't put it down once I got started.

I'm not usually a fan of books with unreliable narrators, but Grace is a fascinating character. I don't want to give anything away..."

I've been postponing reading it so I could devote my total attention, I'm glad you mentioned. Thanks!

Marcia (nookworm2786) Loved this book. The author made me feel as though I was part of the drama and hardships that unfolded on the lifeboat. At times while reading this book I wondered what I would do in that situation. I'm sure the people on the lifeboat never thought that they would be capable of the things they needed to do to survive or in some cases give up. I was drawn into the story to the point where at times I felt as though I could be the 40th member.

Diane S ☔ | 6683 comments Have a few questions. Did you feel that the woman on the raft really thought their lives were in danger when they killed? Why do you think Grace agreed to help them when she had previously been supportive? Do you think it was fair that the other two were found guilty but that Grace was not?

Marcia (nookworm2786) I really don't think that the women thought that Hardie was a threat to their lives. But I do think that they saw him as a threat to their being rescued. They didn't trust his judgement and felt that he was hidding things from them. So in a way he was a threat to their lives.

I believe Grace helped them because Grace is a survivor. When her family lost all their money she found a way out of settling for a governess job and a life that she didn't want. Grace chooses which side she is going to be on very wisely and when she saw that Hardie would no longer be a help to her she joined the side that could help her to survive.

I don't think that any of them should have been found guilty. In a situation like that, with extreme circumstances, people resort to survival mode. In my opionion it was more of a moral crime than a legal crime. Any number of people on that boat could have been found guilty of a number of infractions. I would have to say that living through and surviving something like that would be punishment enough.

message 17: by Deb, Queen Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb | 2463 comments Mod
I am still on the waiting list at the library for this. I checked again today and am #22. I hope to get it by month end!

message 18: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb wrote: "I am still on the waiting list at the library for this. I checked again today and am #22. I hope to get it by month end!"

Deb I planned to start this one early next week - but I had a book on hold at the library and it came thru yesterday...POO! But I think I will go ahead and start this one to make sure that I get it read by months end. The other book is pretty dry - one I have wanted to read for a long time - but I think it will take time to get thru it and I know I can renew it for 3 weeks, so will try reading both of them for the last 10 days of the month. Lifeboat is pretty short, so hopefullyI can get them both read.

Britany | 3964 comments Deb wrote: "I am still on the waiting list at the library for this. I checked again today and am #22. I hope to get it by month end!"

I'm #65!!! :(

Rachel Brown | 8 comments I started the book--then got off track. Here in Canada--long weekend--so I am hoping for some reading in the sunshine to catch up. I was about 2 chapters in before I started another.

message 21: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will be starting this book tomorrow. It will be in conjunction with another book tho, so may take me until the end of the month to finish it. We will see -this one is fairly short - so hopefully will move right along. Will post as I go...

Rachel Brown | 8 comments I really enjoyed this book..finished today. Once I was started--and the way the book was divided into each day in the lifeboat--made me want to keep reading. The lifeboat became its own "world" where there was a governing body..laws of its own. It really made me think ... how once the hope started to dwindle...how each person became more and more able to do things that they never believed they were capable of. The character Grace was a little strange to me--someone who is an opportunist...sees what is best for her and then goes for it (her marriage, her silence in the boat and then when she heads for Hardie). It was a great read...would really recommend this book...I wanted to know what happened at the end and especially how the characters would react as another day passed and they were not rescued. Great pick!

Megan | 102 comments I really enjoyed this book! I thought the situation was certainly revealing of human nature and the power survival can have over one's thoughts and morals as well as actions. So glad we read it! I also thought the writing was spectacular for a first time author and hope she writes more!

message 24: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Lifeboat The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

This book did its best to make me question myself. There were many times I wondered what I would have done in the same situation. I cannot say that I actually got vested in any of the characters, but I did related to the story itself. This novel repeatedly had me questioning and evaluating my morals and ethics. We think we know what we would do under any circumstance, but do we really? I question what type of person I would be and what decisions I would make, if my life really depended on it.

message 25: by Deb, Queen Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb | 2463 comments Mod
finally picking this up from the library tomorrow!

Cecilia | 33 comments I finished this book last night. While laying in bed after just finishing I couldn't get it off my mind. I kept recounting the incidents and wondering.....what would I do? I like to think I know what I would do, but can you really know until faced with a similar situation? I don't think so.
I think the story also shows how people with a large sense of self and big persona, such as Hardy, Grant,can influence a group of adults who maybe are lacking the skills to stand up for what they believe. Something that I believe happens all to often in life.
I definitely feel that Grace was not as weak and indecisive as portrayed in the trial. Rather I think she was very observant, always taking in everything around her. I think she showed through the decisions that she made that she was a strong woman who knew what she wanted and was willing to do whatever it took to keep herself ahead of the situation. And it showed at times through her 'sometimes' snide remarks and underlying influence that she had on people. She was definitely a survivor....and a smart one at that!

message 27: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ | 6683 comments I agree with you Cecilia. Grace was definitely a survivor and throughout this book hers are the only thoughts we are really privy to. I think because of her calculating manner she should have been the only one who should have been found guilty of murder, not the other two women who only acted out of fear. I think she just picked the winning side and went with it, she knew they were watching her and knew she had to do it. But I believe she knew exactly what she was doing, then and at the trail. In an ironic twist of fate she is the only one who came out a winner.

message 28: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Cecilia wrote: "I finished this book last night. While laying in bed after just finishing I couldn't get it off my mind. I kept recounting the incidents and wondering.....what would I do? I like to think I know wh..."

I haven't read this book, but I totally agree with your statement that we can think long and hard about what we would do in a certain situation, but we will never really know for sure unless we are faced with that situation. It sounds like a good book that I might try and read in the future.

Britany | 3964 comments So still waiting in line at the library, so looks like I won't make it for last month, but hopefully soon ...

message 30: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hang in there Britney - report back once you do read it. I think it is worth the wait...hope you do too, once you have read it.

Britany | 3964 comments Thanks Sandi! I'm 21 in line, so hopefully I'll get it soon :) Fingers crossed those other people hurry it up

jaxnsmom My thoughts on this book went back and forth so often, my brain was getting dizzy. I realized I could have no objective opinion of the characters, as everything we knew of them was based solely on Grace's descriptions. Grace wasn't a reliable witness to events, so I had to question everything she said.

message 33: by Deb, Queen Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb | 2463 comments Mod
Finished.

I see I am odd man out again. I was actually disappointed by this book. I thought Grace was unlikable which probably had a lot to do with my overall feeling for the book.
I did think the story was a good one, the range of feelings described and the scenes as I saw them while I was reading, but I would have liked to have heard more people's thoughts than just Grace's.
And I agree with whoever said this above, that I don't think any of them should have been guilty for their actions under those circumstances. But this helps make for good discussion!

message 34: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

It sounds as tho no one really got vested in Grace - I know I did not either,but I thought the story itself had a lot of meat. It really made me question what I would do in similar circumstances. I don't think I was as opposed to Grace as it sounds like some of you were, and I think had the author tried to give too many other voices to that book, I would have even lost the story and not enjoyed it either - it would have made it just too confusing or cluttered. I think seeing that thru just one persons eyes allowed you to make more determinations or questionings on your own . Overall I did like that book.

message 35: by Randa (new) - rated it 1 star

Randa | 65 comments Finished.

After reading everyone else's comments I'm almost tempted to go back and read the book again. ALMOST except that I truly did not like the book.

I do have to agee with those who thought Grace should have been convicted along with the other two. Although maybe everyone in the lifeboat should have been seeing as no one attempted to stop them from throwing Hardie off the boat.

♥ Amanda (Amandamullins) | 1488 comments I am FINALLY down to number 2 on the wait list at our library. So I should be getting it within the week. I hope. And after waiting THIS long to get it, you can bet I'm going to read it! Even if it kills me :)

Britany | 3964 comments Finally getting to start this :) just finished the prologue & I'm already curious about why Grace is going to trial... Can't wait to dive in...

message 38: by Britany (last edited Jun 24, 2012 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Britany | 3964 comments Finished...

I thought the beginning of the book was amazing, I couldn't put it down, I was intrigued immediately by the author starting off with images of the trial in the prologue, I loved how the chapters related to each day in the lifeboat up until (view spoiler) I felt that the images with the 1st half of the book were harrowing and ones that I cannot imagine facing... 'The little boy in the bowtie' and having to think about throwing people overboard to make room on the lifeboat... I have no idea what I would do in this situation, but that's when the book changed and I have to admit my opinion of the book changed as well. I thought the courtroom scenes were dry and while the author portrayed Grace as a manipulative girl that always figured out how to get her way I was bored with these scenes. I thought that none of the ladies should have been tried for their actions, and I was appalled by the outcome!!! Seriously?? I also felt let down by the ending... it seemed anticlimatic to me. Since this is Charlotte's first novel, I am excited to see what else she writes.

♥ Amanda (Amandamullins) | 1488 comments Finally got this in from the library, and am starting it today. I'll read the posts after the book :)

message 40: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good idea Amanda - I also do that when I run a little late reading a book. I hate to spoil it for myself and sometimes people post something that didn't seem significant to them, but if you know about it before hand it changes everything in the book for you. I don't take the chance either. Let us know when you are done

Britney - you sure breezed thru this book. One day...whew! So ok you will read AK in what - 3 days??? LOL !!! Ya know AK is free on Kindle if you go to Amazon and put "free kindle books" in the search line. Of course there are probably 300 free books ( a lot of classics) so it is time consuming to look thru them, but it is there - saw it tonight!

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments I finally was able to start The Lifeboat and am up to Day14. I think I may have to keep reading and finish tonite! We'll see how my eyes hold out, but it's pretty good and I hate to put it aside until tomorrow.

Britany | 3964 comments Sandra-- haha I wish!! Already got AK from the library!! Lifeboat was a quicker read and it certainly helped me get through it while the power was out here ;) I had nothing else to do but wait until the storms passed, so I read my little heart out lol :)

Ellen (elatal) I read this book in June. A very fast read. Loved the book. I thought the characters were all a bit odd. A lot of moral issues to ponder. Great read!

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments I finished! I enjoyed it and thought it was well worth the time. I shifted from giving the characters the benefit of the doubt, to realizing the sense of sheer survival and shrewd calculatory behavior, and not crediting any of them with any sense of humanity toward others. I was most interested in the dissociative tendancies and the relatively quick physical and emotional declines. Very interesting, very sad. Thanks for choosing it for a group read.

♥ Amanda (Amandamullins) | 1488 comments Finished! I liked the book, didn't love it. I found it interesting the way human nature was portrayed after just the first day! I imagine most people would despair and lose their minds. I think once Grace revealed how she was trifling in her ways to get Henry, I lost respect for her and thought "serves you right!" also, funny how they turned on Mr Hardee, when he was the sole reason they survived as long as they did, getting fish, the extra 2 casks of water, etc. Just goes to show what people are capable of when at their worst.

Rachel (wolfewoman) | 110 comments Finished. This book was a fast read, but it left me with a lot of thoughts and questions. Of course, since Grace was a completely unreliable narrator, who knows if anything in the novel was "true"? I haven't read a book like that in a very long time. It certainly raises a lot of questions and makes the reader wonder what she would do in a similar situation.

message 47: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 21 comments I thought that this book was okay, none of the characters particularly drew me in either to like or to dislike, I think that the basis for the story could have produced a better read. I was left feeling a bit disappointed. The result of the trial was just odd and fairly unsatisfying.

Melanie Ali | 172 comments Lisa wrote: "I thought that this book was okay, none of the characters particularly drew me in either to like or to dislike, I think that the basis for the story could have produced a better read. I was left fe..."

I'm with you, Lisa. I just finished this a couple of days ago, after having been on the library waiting list for a while. I thought it was a great premise, with lots of potential. But, it ended up being a let down. I couldn't understand exactly what the circumstances were that drew Grace to her husband (Henry?) and what it is that he saw in her. And, her trying to make eye contact with Hardie in the boat was just plain weird. Thankfully, this was a quick read and so not all too painful in that sense. But I had been expecting much better.

LindaW | 945 comments Finished this week. I've copied my review below. 4 stars

This book was a better read than I expected. People surviving a shipwreck by escaping in a lifeboat isn't a story that I am usually excited to read, but I am glad that I stepped outside my comfort zone and read The Lifeboat. This is yet another tale of relationships and how people cope with their circumstances and how they survive - mainly how Grace survives. Grace, the survivor, watches, waits, and evaluates her options before she acts. She chose to pursue her Henry that way and "got her man", the man who would rescue her from the circumstances of her unforeseen poverty and the need to work as a governess.

In the lifeboat, she first cast her lot, as all 39 survivors did, with Hardie. He was the strongest, most experienced person in the boat - someone who could actually help them survive until rescued. Grace resisted the other women in the boat who were trying to take control until it became clear that Hardie's power had diminished to the point that the others felt he had to die. It was at that point that she submitted to the power of the other women and participated in the murder of Hardie. It seemed that she acted rashly, but I believe she did exactly what she thought she had to do in order to survive and maintain her position in the power hierarchy of the lifeboat.

At the trial with the other two women being tried, she survived and was acquitted by behaving in a way that the jury would view with the most sympathy. The other two women were viewed as more forceful, more powerful, and less attractive and thus with less sympathy for their dire circumstances in the lifeboat. They were found guilty.

In my opinion, Grace got away with murder. She did not have to act at all in the boat - there were many that did not act and they were not in danger after the murder. Grace was drawn to power and seemed unable to resist it even if it meant participating in throwing overboard the person who had kept most of them alive up to that point. She walked away to her new life without look back. Although I thought she lacked character, I admired her ability to survive.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lifeboat (other topics)