Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer discussion

Extra! Extra! - Series News > New Moon Soap Opera

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yvonne (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:42AM) (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Have any of you been keeping up with the turmoil within the cast and everything for New Moon? I don't usually buy magazines, but I bought Life & Style today. I am not sure if they are a glorified tabloid or a fairly legit entertainment magazine. BUT, it seems that most of the cast are really stressed with all the new found fame and the pressure of New Moon being a success or shooting them back down into oblivion.
So it seems our beloved "Edward" has been drunk almost every day by 6:30p (so says a pal of his) and dear "Bella" is has been hitting the pipe.

Heads up Team Jacob- If you are fans of Taylor, start googling the petition to keep him on as Jacob. Summit has been openly doing a casting search, with a serious consideration for a Michael Copon(he is on myspace and facebook). Poor Taylor has been hitting the gym since Twilight finished filming. Nikki Reed spoke out on behalf the co-stars for him to continue the role.

Robert may have made things akward on the set by chasing after Kristen, who did not reciprocate, and dating Nikki for about 2 months.

Summit is also wanting to find ways to give Robert a bigger role in the movie than the book calls for. But Steph insists changes will not be major. I sure hope she's right! They already have the film rights to Eclipse and negotiating for Breaking Dawn.

Sorry to make such a stink, but I really fell in love with the story line and characters. I just hope that Summit and the new director Christopher Weitz listens to the fans(and stick to the book)!

Filming is scheduled to start in about 9 weeks with a slated November 2009 release. Oh, almost forgot...Ben Barnes, who played Prince Caspian in Narnia, wants a piece of the action in New Moon as, can you believe it, Aro!! Sorry dude, but as if!! I see Aro as a vampire in his 50's.

Looking forward to your comments, possible corrections, and general feedback.

message 2: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Well, this will certainly be more interesting to watch develop! Hmmmmm.... all that money and fame and possibly going to waste. What a shame. I hope they get it together. I loved Taylor as Jacob. They'd be idiots to get rid of him. Perhaps they should spend some of the budget on rehab for Edward and Bella.....

message 3: by Yvonne (last edited Dec 28, 2008 04:24PM) (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Now that would be a story line wouldn't it? Edward and Bella in rehab. ;)

message 4: by Julianna (last edited Dec 28, 2008 05:15PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Well, I'm not sure how much of this is true and how much is just gossip, though there is usually a certain degree of truth in gossip. Regardless of whether things are as bad as they sound for Rob and Kristen, I've empathized with them from the beginning. They went from virtual unknowns to having millions of fans screaming after them, particularly Rob. They both seem very nice, but they also appear to be very shy and introverted which probably only exacerbates the shock of their instant fame. I can imagine how difficult that must be for them, but I was hoping that they would find a better outlet for it than alcohol and drugs. If they truly are having problems, I hope they get help sooner rather than later, because it will probably only get worse as the remaining movies are made.

As far as the Taylor Lautner vs. Michael Copon issue, I had heard about this from another GR friend. I would prefer if Taylor could stay on, because I think he has truly become the face of Jacob. I did wonder before Twilight ever came out though if that would be possible, since Jacob is described after his transition as being 6'7", very muscular and looking about 25 year old. The first two issues could be addressed with camera angles, special effects and gym time, but Taylor looks so young, I'm not sure how they would make him appear that much older.

No matter what happens, I too hope they maintain the integrity of the books. I read recently on Stephenie Meyer's website that she was pleased with Chris Weitz's commitment to doing just that and they posted a letter from him to the fans in which Chris says that he respects the fans and their love of the books. Hopefully that will mean a positive experience for the majority of fans, but they're never going to be able to please everyone. I think my biggest concern is that with the studio pushing for a release date of late next year, it could cause rushes in production that may diminish the quality, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Oh, yeah, and although I can't remember the exact description of Aro and the other Volturi leaders in the book, I would agree that I've always thought of them as being at least physically older than the Cullens.

message 5: by Yvonne (last edited Dec 28, 2008 05:40PM) (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) The release date was one of my concerns too. For filming to start in about 9 weeks, the cast isn't finalized and they want to release in November. If means waiting until 2010 for quality, I will do so, as will many fans I presume. And if they want to make it 3hours to fully capture the story, I would be beside myself with joy.
I did read that letter from Chris on Stephenie's site and glad to hear he likes to stick to the book as much as possible. But, the only way, at the moment, I can see them including Edward more in the middle of the movie is by playing off of Bella's halucinations of hearing him. As for Jacob, that might be a bit of a challenge to project the changes on screen, but I am sure they can pull it off.

message 6: by Mahlet (last edited Dec 28, 2008 06:23PM) (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments hmm...I've been following daily!!! :) Especially the Jacob drama. I keep waiting for Summit to make an announcement. I'm rooting for Taylor, probably harder now that I've read an interview with Michael Copon. Then there was Michael's self promotion via his facebook page/his manager confirming to MTV it was indeed Michael's facebook page/getting backlack for claiming the role was his(lots of nasty comments on his FB)/then LYING and saying he it wasn't his facebook page. Michael seems extremely arrogant, and just hoping to cash in - he's so ignorant about Twilight. In the now infamous J-14 interview* which was been posted on all the major Twilight blogs, Michael says he "dabbled through the cliff notes" for New Moon, he referred to the New Moon movie as "Twilight 2", and he said some pretty disparaging things about Taylor's appearance and performance. *looking for link* Ok, found it! Please read this interview, in its entirety, if you're interested in this drama. http://www.j-14.com/2008/12/j-14-excl...
I think I about lost it when he said, "if anything, I need to bulk down"! OMG, he's incredible!
*I promise you, I do NOT frequent J-14's website :) No really. I am a 27 yro woman, and it's geared toward teens. But the Michale Copon interview is posted there, so I must direct you to that site.
Mahlet

message 7: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) The last 2 Q&A from the J-14 interview with Mike...disgusting!

J-14: How familiar are you with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books?
Michael: I've read the first one and I've dabbled through the Cliffs Notes of the second and third ones. I haven't had time to actually sit down and read the whole book, but I kind of know what happens.

J-14: If you get this role, people will no doubt compare you to Rob Pattinson. Are you ready for Team Mike verses Team Rob?
Michael: (Laughs) I've seen Rob out here and there and we've hung out and had great conversations. Funny enough, before I knew who he was, I said, "I'd be excited to play a part in Twilight 2" and he said, "Oh yeah, I'm in the first one." I was like, "Who do you play?" He's like, "Edward." I felt so bad! But if there is Team Mike verses Team Rob, I think it's only for the better of the film. Friendly competition!

message 8: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Ugh! What a jerk! Taylor ALL the way!

As for Rob's place in New Moon... perhaps add some scenes of him in his own personal hell, traveling about the continents. I mean, they did add all that other stuff in Twilight. Why should New Moon be any exception? At least it could meld with the book, somewhat, and we'd all get our EC fix! LOL!

I'd absolutely watch a 3 hour New Moon....

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Chris gets 'it' (the Twilight Fans wants and needs) when it comes to New Moon.

message 9: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments Taylor Lautner is so sweet & humble. He was exciting about a meeting with director Chris, scheduled to take place on 12/19/2008. It's been over a week with no word from anyone on the outcome of that meeting *ggrrr*

I'd happily watch a longer movie, too, but with Summit, I kind of doubt it. Twilight ticket sales broke records and the film performed phenomenally, here and overseas, but the budget increase for New Moon's production doesn't seem sufficient enough, IMHO.

message 10: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Ugh, you guys have gotten me on a kick of reading Twilight gossip all day when I really should be doing other things.;-) LOL!

I have to say though, the more I read, the more I think they really need to keep Taylor on. I just don't think it would "feel" right without him. Even when I told my husband (not really a Twilight fan, but I drug him to the movie) that Taylor might not be back as Jacob, he said, "Why not? Isn't that what special effects and make-up are for?", and I really have to agree.

What bugged me about that Michael Copon interview that Mahlet linked to, is his seeming confidence that he sees something in the Jacob character that he thought Taylor didn't bring to life in Twilight. To say that I'm extremely skeptical of that assertion would be an understatment, since Jacob isn't even a huge factor in the first book and Mike hasn't even read the other books. If he truly thinks that he's in serious contention for the part, you'd think that he would have at least done that. Not only has Taylor read the books, but he also did actual research on the Quileute culture. That to me speaks volumes more than being the right size and age which could be altered by movie magic anyway. I could even live with a younger-looking, less-beefy Jacob in order to have a tried actor in his shoes who has already proven he can perform the part.

message 11: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments ITA, Julie. And yes, this New Moon gossip is definitely hard to stay away from. Suddenly, I'm checking HisGoldenEyes more than CNN.com, what's going on? :)

message 12: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Uh-oh! That's one I haven't checked out yet. Quit it Mahlet. You're being a bad influence.;-) LOL!

message 13: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments LOL! K, mums the word, for right now anyway. That's the BEST I can do :)

message 14: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Mahlet wrote: "ITA, Julie. And yes, this New Moon gossip is definitely hard to stay away from. Suddenly, I'm checking HisGoldenEyes more than CNN.com, what's going on? :)"

So I had to go check out this "new" site...loving it.

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (MissCharlie) | 10 comments Julie and Mahlet... You both are not helping with my concentration at work! lol! I think what bugs me the most about them possibly recasting Jacob is that THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT TO BEGIN WITH! I love Taylor Lautner as Jacob, he's become the movie version of our furry friend. And continuity wise... how messed up would it be if they shifted just when his story was going forward?

message 16: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments Yvonne, glad you enjoyed it! HGE's website uploads video clips of cast interviews fairly frequently.

Charlotte, I am seriously considering a letter to Summit, something I've never been bothered enough to do before. I am out of town right now. At the rate they're going, they'll probably announce the decision before I even get the stamp on it!

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (MissCharlie) | 10 comments LOL! That is true... everything seems to be moving at hyper speed for them. I mean... I want to see what they do with New Moon as much as the next man... but I would appreciate a bit of care taken to make sure that they are doing justice to the story. I mean... people care about these characters!

And I'll totally sign your letter!

message 18: by Julianna (last edited Dec 30, 2008 12:01PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Charlotte, we just wanted some company in our obsession.;-) LOL! I agree, Summit never should have put Taylor out there as the worldwide face of Jacob Black if they thought he couldn't carry the role all the way through the series.

I mentioned earlier how I talked to my husband about it, and he's very much against recasting roles in series movies. That's why he's totally on board with Taylor keeping the role even though he's not really a Twilight fan. He made me laugh when he said that he's never really gotten over the recasting of Dumbledore in Harry Potter even though that was completely unavoidable since Richard Harrison died. At least there's nothing that drastic going on with Twilight.;-)

I'd sign your letter too Mahlet! BTW, I love the "new" site. I'm a newbie to this fangirl stuff, and it's the first one I've run across that had Twilight merchandise for sale. Now your going to make me spend money too.;-) LOL!

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (MissCharlie) | 10 comments I completely agree with your husband on the Dumbledore thing! Yes... it was unavoidable but it has always been one of my issues since I'm also a Hogwarts girl. :D But changing someone mid-epic-ness (I just created a new word) creates an unneeded confusion... everyone is pretty much used to seeing Lautner as Jacob.

message 20: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Maybe we could do a petition letter for folks to sign or a letter we all can put our signature on and send individually. Either way they would get the message. I think they need to slow down, it just seems they are trying to capitalize on the enormous success Twilight produced. What they fail to realize is that the "frenzie" won't go away as quick as they think....it's only just begun.

message 21: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments Oh god! First, you're broke off books, and now Twilight gear, too? LOL! Your husband's going to kill me! I will be back home Sunday to draft a letter, and I'll happily attach your names :)

message 22: by Yvonne (last edited Dec 30, 2008 01:05PM) (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Mahlet wrote:..... I will be back home Sunday to draft a letter, and I'll happily attach your names :) "

There is a petition site, I can track it down, that the letter can be posted to and the signed Letter emailed. Let me check on the details, I've only signed on it, never set one up. Might be able to get alot fans to sign.

message 23: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Sign my name too! That's a great idea! I tried the site, but it wouldn't load. I'll try again later. As if I have time for another Twilight site too! The laundry is breeding as we speak!

I also hope that Stephenie is able to have more control over this movie with the screenwriters. I don't know what control she had on Twilight, if any...so... But maybe that, coupled with the new director, would be a good idea.

message 24: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments You're safe for now, Mahlet. LOL! Even though everything is incredibly tempting, I've been restraining myself.;-)

Tamena, I had heard that Stephenie had quite a bit of input on Twilight. It's my understanding that she made many suggestions for the screenplay, most if not all of which were implemented. In fact, I just read an article last night that said Bella's Lullaby was not in the original script and she asked that it be put in. I had also read something a couple months ago about the lion and lamb lines having been altered in the original script, and she insisted they be changed back to exactly the way she wrote them in the books. Stephenie was also on set quite a few times during filming. Hopefully, she'll have similar input with New Moon.

message 25: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish)
Tamena, I had heard that Stephenie had quite a bit of input on Twilight. It's my u..."

That would be fabulous if she does! I know in the article I mentioned at the start of this thread, Stephenie said not go all torches and pitchforks about New Moon, that she is assuring fans they are doing their best to keep it as close to the book as possible.

message 26: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Thanks Mahlet and Yvonne. That's good to know. I think I am just nervous because some pretty big things were left out of/or not fully developed in the 1st movie. And I just thought that the Author would have made more of a stink about leaving them out. Like the Meadow, which is central in the rest of the books, the first kiss, etc. But I don't understand the whole process of book to movie - screenwriting. Just seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to stick to the book. I'm glad she's able to be involved in it though and not just leave it up to Hollywood to make it good!

message 27: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Woo Hoo! I got the site to finally load! Unfortunately it's TOTALLY AWESOME! Ugh....EC. This is SO ridiculous! I much prefer EC to RP. Anyone else?

message 28: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) So I saw on another discussion thread that summit has a release date of Nov 2009. Going to see if I can confirm this thro Google. Anyone else here of anything. It's way too soon in my opinion.

message 29: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Yeah, IMDB says 11/20/09. It's my understanding that Twilight started filming in early 2008 and was still completed by Nov., so it might be doable. What concerns me is that I just read somewhere that they might be filming Eclipse back-to-back. If that's the case, I'm not sure how they could possibly film two movies and get all the post-production work done on New Moon in just 9 months.

message 30: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) ITA, Julie. Why are they in such a rush? It's a little worrisome. Especially for the actors, they are under a lot of pressure as is with stardom, work and everything to do with New Moon. I sure hope the proverbial crap doesn't hit the fan on this.

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 2 comments I think that most of the rush is that vampires don't age! They need to get it done while everyone looks good. If you wait a year or two between movies, it will look strange. Think of Harry Potter when they took a year off and the kids shot up.

message 32: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments I totally understand that they don't want their vampire characters to age, but since all the actors playing them are at least in their 20s, I don't think they are going to age significantly in 1 or 2 years. Also since they're already full-grown, there wouldn't be any growth spurts like with the Harry Potter kids. The only one who would grow more and change would be Taylor (if they keep him on), and that would be a good thing. Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with them filming back-to-back, if that's what they choose to do. I (and I think everyone else who have concerns) just don't want to see them sacrificing quality while rushing for a quick release date.

message 33: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments ITA Julie! Oh November 09 seems like forever away! But it will go fast in movie time!

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) Sounds like Taylor may be back to play Jacob (or at least we'll find out for sure this week).

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20234...

message 35: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Woo hoo! Thank goodness! He will be awesome!

But what's this? I thought she left because of scheduling conflicts with another film she's making????

"letting Summit and New Moon's director, Chris Weitz (who joined the fran­chise last month after Twilight's director, Catherine Hardwicke, left over creative differences)"

message 36: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments Taylor news - THANKS LAURA!!! My eyes are a bit glassed over right now. God, I hope it's true! I am thrilled about a resolution being announced this week.

Catherine Hardwick: I never believed it was just a scheduling issue. There was tension all throughout the making of Twilight between the studio and Catherine. I thought she did great, and I was sad to hear she was leaving while the screen writer was staying. In any event, I LOVED the Golden Compass so I have high hopes for Chris Weitz.

I'll be waiting on pins and needles this week, like the rest of you :)

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) Straight from Stephenie's page: Taylor will return as Jacob.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

message 38: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Laura wrote: "Straight from Stephenie's page: Taylor will return as Jacob.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/"

WOO HOO!

message 39: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments Thanks Laura! That is awesome news!

message 40: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments YES! YES! YES! I am so glad I already had a glass of wine in my hand when I read this news...moments later, my sisters called screaming with excitment. my husband is making fun of us all right now and mocking me :). Who cares? I am on cloud nine. Laura, you rock!!

message 41: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 42 comments Woo Hoo!! Great news! This also increases my confidence in Chris Weitz for starting off on the right foot by making this happen. I'm celebrating with all of you.;-)

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) I knew reading celebrity gossip all the time would pay off :) It's an addiction of mine.

message 43: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments Lol! My favorites are Dlisted and Socialitelife, which has a a Robert Pattinson and Twilight section :)

message 44: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (MissCharlie) | 10 comments Ok guys... This just in from Stephenie Meyer's Website (www.stepheniemeyer.com)

"Good news about New Moon from director Chris Weitz:

I'm very happy to announce that Taylor Lautner will be playing Jacob Black in New Moon and that he's doing so with the enthusiastic support of Summit Entertainment, the producers, and Stephenie Meyer.

The characters in Stephenie's books go through extraordinary changes of circumstance and also appearance; so it is not surprising that there has been speculation about whether the same actor would portray a character who changes in so many surprising ways throughout the series. But it was my first instinct that Taylor was, is, and should be Jacob, and that the books would be best served by the actor who is emotionally right for the part. I think that fans of Twilight the book and the movie will be surprised by the Jacob Black that Taylor will bring to the screen in New Moon; and I'm looking forward to working with him and the rest of the cast in realizing the film.

very best

Chris Weitz

I'd just like to add that I was very much a part of this decision. My first priority was always what was best for New Moon—what was going to give us the best possible movie. I'm truly thrilled that Taylor was the one who proved to the director, to Summit, and to me that he is the best possible Jacob we could have. And I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he's going to bring to Jacob's character this year.

- Steph"

Taylor Lautner will be Jacob Black! :)

message 45: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Doing the Irish Jig and getting more and more excited to see this come to life on the big screen.

message 46: by Tamena (new)

Tamena (heritage4keeps) | 25 comments LOL Yvonne! I don't know you from Adam, but have a clear picture of the jig in my mind and I'm thinking DITTO! I can't wait!

message 47: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith | 20 comments Yahoo!! Texas Jig here...ya'll :D

message 48: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 13 comments alright, just googled "jig"

I'm doing my own interpretation right now, with my feet under my desk :)

message 49: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) You ladies are a crack up!

message 50: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lferrari) | 6 comments I just became a member of this board and I love how you are all so funny:) I can't wait until they start shooting New Moon so we can get more information.

« previous 1