Relaxing Fun discussion

anything goes > Grow up

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessicaafrank) | 257 comments Mod
What do you want to be when you grow up? I know I don't want to be this--an I'm still planning to change my job/life. I'm old enough to have at least be on the way to what I want to be (other than a writr). Right now, I want to be a trainer--but this does change quite often.

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments Er, I'm supposed to be grown up already... But at my not-so-tender age, and unlikely most of people my age here, I still hope I won't be stuck forever in the same job and life I have now.I'd like to find a job dealing with contemporary art, let's say, being a consultant for an art dealer or a gallery, or organizing exhibitions. In fact, I'm studying for a degree in Fine Arts now, I enrolled out of mere personal interest but I'm considering it might become a goal for a personal change as well...

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Elena, I'm old enough that I should feel grown up, I just don't--perhaps because I'm stuck in a rut.

I love your goal. How exciting that would be!

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments I exactly know how it feels Jess... On the other hand, I'm growing up to believe that the saying (in that Aerosmith song as well!) "Life's a journey, not a destination" is quite true-Don't want to find myself thinking "Ok, I got to reach my destination, what now?". Which is probably why I still make New Year resolutions every year too! :)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

I agree. I have one regret in my career--trying to sell life insurance. What a disaster.

This is definitely a journey. I hope it takes me where I want or need to go.

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments Many many years ago, when I was looking for a job after graduating from University, I applied for a job in an insurance company and went to do the 'preliminary test', before the interview. I don't even know how I qualified, because I ran away right after it, when I listened to the boss' speech about the company 'values'... It just felt like 'the opposite of me'!:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

dead.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL~ Bells! you must want to be a vampire huh? I want to be a werewolf so I can go on and on. I even tried to write a book about it when I got sick.

message 9: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 79 comments Mod
I will be graduating this February (Communications/Language Studies) and I'm still not sure what I want to do. Yes, I am working on a novel, but I will need a day job to play the bills. I'm thinking about "Teach for America". We'll see...

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Elena wrote: "Many many years ago, when I was looking for a job after graduating from University, I applied for a job in an insurance company and went to do the 'preliminary test', before the interview. I don't ..."

It was certainly the opposite of me. It sounded like such a change...probably just a bad fit with the company.

message 11: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 79 comments Mod
I once worked for an insurance firm, too. It was my first big city office job. I thought I was beginning a great career, but after bouncing around in corporate offices for the next ten years, I realized the 9-5 life was not good for me or the companies I worked for. This led me back to school, and now that this is nearly done I am looking forward to my next opportunities...

message 12: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) I think I really wanna be a tennis player or an ecologist.