The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Januarys Winners for Group Read are.....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susan Clarke

&

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

message 2: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Yes!!!! I will be reading THE GUERNSEY book. It will also be one of my winter challenge books. A 25 pointer!! For "book that I picked up and could not finish".
I don't know about the other...

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Ann- Still can't finish Love in the Time of Cholera, eh?

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susan Clarke

Ann, this has 1006 pages, if that helps for a Winter Challenge Task xx

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Checked both books and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society they have in my library but on loan. So probably I will try to get that one first. Maybe I will reservate the other one in the meantime.

message 6: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Lori, this monthly reads are great. I would have never picked up these two books or for isntance Stardust this month...but I liekd and am glad I read Stardust. Will see what I think about the January books but at least I am reading books I wouldn't try!

message 7: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments No on the LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA... lol It is one of my tbrs for 2009, as well as 1000 years of SOLITUDE.
I am reading THE STAND as my over 1000 page book...hehe... JS&MN is another I could not finish. What is wrong with me??!!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) NOW I know why Fiona said I would like this month's winners.... :) I loved both of these books. JS&MN starts a little slow tho Ann, so I can understand that. Also, Guernsey took me about 25-30 pp. and then i was HOOKED. Also the audio versions of both are TERRIFIC. I audio-ed and read both of these.

message 9: by Staci (new)

Staci I'm so excited!! I've been wanting to read Guernsey and I will finally read a book that I've owned for several years...JS & MN!!!!

message 10: by Potjy (new)

Potjy | 127 comments Hi, I'm new here. I joined the group just to vote for another book, but it turned out I came too late. However, your winners are also great. You gals do not disappoint me. hehe.

I read Guernsey around October, and really, really love it. And I'm looking forward to finish Jonathan Strange. My edition looks more like a brick than a book. :P

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Excellent! I'm dying to read Guernsey, and will look into the other one - it's not one I'm familiar with!

message 12: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I bought Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell a while ago and want to read it. I might join in. Depends on the time :)

The book choices are really good though. I also want to read Guernsey but will have to wait :( :(

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and am looking forward to reading Guernsey. (I gave it to my mother for Christmas, and she had finished it on the 26th. She said I'd love it.)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments B&N online had Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for something like 3 bucks the other day. i'm not sure if they are still having the sale.

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments Awesome! :) I have Guernsey on my shelf, and haven't gotten to it yet. :) I haven't heard of the other one, I will go see if I can get my hands on a copy.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) For anyone in the UK, I've just ordered Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell from Waterstones for £1.99! Check out the ad - option 1 - on their home page! (4 other £1.99 books slipped into my basket, and with the points I've been saving I only had to pay £1.35 for the lot!)

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Suzie, I got a copy already lol.

message 18: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments My sister already loaned me her copy of Jonathan Strange and I'm getting her copy of Guernsey tomorrow-gotta love having other book freaks in the family!

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey yay! I'm really happy about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - it's been on my to-read pile for a YEAR. no more procrastinating! this Guernsey book is one i've never heard of. but. i'm in. wee!

message 20: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments SuzieR!!!!! How can you? How can they???? You have me looking on their website and now having my boyfriend making fun of me with questions like: shipping problems? book shipping problems? jsut because I was remembering loud that republic of ireland isn't in the UK but Great Britain! But now I want that book for 1.99!

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Oh, now I checked how much it would be to Ireland and it comes to like 6.97 pound! Not much but they sell it for 1.99! pfff, I want that one, same edition and same price..... and I am not allowed to buy books...

message 22: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Jeane, send me ur address and I'll send u a copy in morning with love from 1 reader to another xxxxx

PM ur address of course. Also no cash needed afterwards xxxx

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Ah Fiona you beat me to it! I was going to offer to get you a copy Jeane, and send it to you - I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to post to Ireland! That is a rip-off! Let me know if you want me to send you a copy Jeane!!

message 24: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Will see what Jeane wants to do Suzie xx

message 25: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 23 comments Hi, I'm Kendra & new to the group! I am very happy to see one of the books I own & haven't started yet, The Guerney Literary... is on the list, so I can join in. Looking forward to meeting others with my addiction to reading:))

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments Welcome to the group, Kendra. :)

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I am so excitred about both of these choices. I have wanted to read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and have heard nothing but good things about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I think I will pick up both of these tomorrow at the book store.

message 28: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona, SuzieR..can't do that...only if I can send the money.......:-) I am so going sweet and little now only the thought of you two wanting to do that for me!

message 29: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Jeane. send me ur address and u can re-imburse me when u get the book. How does that sound?

message 30: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments yeah! for JS&MN

I had it on my to buy list for years and finally got it as a gift on my b-day this year. I really want to read it but needed a push :)

I maybe reading gurnesey to depending on the time I take reading the other one (this year I'm really not alloweed to buy books)

message 31: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) No problem Jeane. Hope u enjoy the book xx

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Thanks, me too. The title still makes me think about Jekyll and Hyde...but hope for a book that size it will be good!

message 33: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) 1040 pages it says lol

message 34: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments I love the new upcoming feature its so neat :D

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Laura,
You mentioned that Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell was a bit slow to start - I've tried it a few times but can't seem to get into it. Do you know about where "it hooks you?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments It "hooked" me immediately, I'm afraid. I really enjoyed it, but it's not, I think, a book for everybody.

message 37: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I just picked up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell @ the used bookstore for $3 the other day...

I was planning on starting War & Peace in Jan though and dont know if I can read two books that big @ the same time...i guess we shall see how that goes...

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the Potato Peel book need to pick up the other one. Oh darn I must make a trip to the B&N or borders.

message 39: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 63 comments I just finished Guernsey and loved it! I'm so excited that JS&MN is on the list. That's been sitting on my bookshelf FOREVER! Maybe this will motivate me to pick up that monster book (I have to admit, the size intimidates me somewhat). :)

message 40: by Callista (new)

Callista | 24 comments I have wanted to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for the longest time, and now I have a great excuse to start it! I'll probably get it from the library the next time I go.

I haven't heard of the Guernsey book, but it looks interesting, so I can't wait to read it.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I read Guernsey last month and loved it. I probably won't reread it since I just read it last month but look forward to the group discussion. :P

I'll be joining in for JS&MN though! I reserved a copy at B&N and will start it ASAP. :)

message 42: by Cindy (last edited Dec 29, 2008 08:25PM) (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Oh, I've been wanting to read JS&MN for ages but I've always put it off in favor of something else. I guess it'll be my first book on my 2009 shelf. :)

message 43: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
The discussion threads are open.
Have fun talking about what you read!

message 44: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments I picked up a copy of JS&MN today at dollar tree - yipee so if you are still looking for a copy you should check your local dollar tree for a copy. $1.05 for a book - can't beat that!!!

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Susanna wrote: "I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and am looking forward to reading Guernsey. (I gave it to my mother for Christmas, and she had finished it on the 26th. She said I'd love it.)"

I predict you will, Susanna. If you like black and white movie love, you'll enjoy it.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Robin wrote: "Laura,
You mentioned that Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell was a bit slow to start - I've tried it a few times but can't seem to get into it. Do you know about where "it hooks you?"

I would say about 150 pp. in, Robin. When you are introduced to Jonathan Strange, it begins moving faster. It's not a big hook tho. I think you have to enjoy this one for the journey, not for the destination. The ending does not disappoint, but it is nothing like the fast-paced madness of Harry Potter. More like Dickens or Austen.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Susanna wrote: "It "hooked" me immediately, I'm afraid. I really enjoyed it, but it's not, I think, a book for everybody."

Yeah. Me too truly. But it's because I love her writing style. I love the sarcasm, poking fun at everything! I find it truly laugh out loud funny, but I'm not sure most of the readers here will feel the same way about it. I love her humor with all my heart.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) As though I haven't posted enough comments in this thread....I'm so excited for this month's reads. These two books, which I read in '08, are in my Top 5 reads for '08 as well. They were tremendous. Very different - almost as different as night and day - but both truly wonderful.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I love black-and-white movies. I am a sad addict to Turner Classic Movies, very sad.

message 50: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I do have Guernsey on my TBR, but I probably will not get to it this month because it will not fit on any where in the Winter Challenge (I have all my books already chosen for this). I guess I will have to jump in on the discussion at a later date.

« previous 1