Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) Inkheart discussion

I love "Inkheart" and "Harry Potter" -- where do I go now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn I'm relatively new to the fantasy genre and would love some recommendations on books to add to my collection! I loved "Inkheart" and the Harry Potter books--I'm looking for more stories like this, well-written with elements of fantasy and/or magic, yet with a greater message. I.e., it's not JUST about the fantastical elements but they fit together to explain elements of human nature, society... Children's or Young Adult books would be great. And I don't mind long books if they're good! Advance thanks!!!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Hello Kathryn,
I've yet to read "Inkheart" but, like you, *love* the Harry Potter series!!
I might also recommend the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and
The Mysterious Benedict Society.
Hope this helps some!

message 3: by X (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

X Have you read The Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynne Jones? It's been a while since I read them, so I don't know if there is a greater message, but they were good books and quick to read.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann We'll have to check into those, thanks!

message 5: by Kecia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Kecia Another good one is The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I have not read the other 2 books in the series but the first book at least is a great fantasy/adventure story. Like Harry Potter it won the Carnegie Medal.

message 6: by Veronica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Veronica I've been wanting to read Inkheart but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. Did you read Inkspell? It is the sequel to Inkheart. Also, although I think that they are more adventure than fantasy, I really liked the Young Wizzards series. There are also the Unicorn Chronicles and The Chronicles of Narnia.

message 7: by wendy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

wendy check out the "looking glass wars" and "seeing redd" - both by frank beddor. they're the first two titles of a teen trilogy based on "alice in wonderland". the premise is that lewis carroll lied to alice when he said he'd tell the world her story. this is the story she wanted to be told. i believe they've started to make the "looking glass wars" into a movie...

message 8: by khrome (new)

khrome The Neverending Story by Michael Ende and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle are two must-have young-adult sci-fi/fantasy books. If you get the Neverending Story, find a hardcover version with colored text - it's a beautiful addition to any home library!

Kathryn Huge thanks to everyone who has responded thus far! I'm excited to look into the books you've suggested...

message 10: by Saoirse (new) - added it

Saoirse Tamora Pierce books. start out with the Song of the Lioness Quartet

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Piele For great "young adult" fantasy, I recommend the following:
The Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy by Patricia Wrede
The Children of Ynell series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
The Harper Hall of Pern trilogy by Anne McCaffery
Abarat by Clive Barker (yes, the horror writer does great children's books!)

If you want something a little different and much more "adult-oriented" I would highly recommend that you check out the Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman - a brilliant blend of horror, fantasy, and mythology with some beautiful art. Definitely a PG-13 to R rating on those ones though, if that is a concern for anyone.

Meels The Septemus Heap Trilogy is very much like a Harry Potter type thing. I began the first book, Magyk and really enjoyed it, but then had a minor distraction and haven't gotten back. I am looking forward to it however.

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara I really like Fablehaven... I am just now reserving the second book in the series.

message 14: by Violet (new)

Violet Try The Warrior Heir. i LOVE inkheart and harry potter, too, and The Wizard Heir is my favorite book, although the Warrior Heir is the book before The Wizard Heir.

you could also try The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series

Jesse Webber The Warriors series by Erin Hunter would be good if you like cats.

message 16: by Rindis (new)

Rindis There was another good discussion on this subject a little while back:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

message 17: by Violet (new)

Violet i just read Neverwhere, not too long ago, at least. it was a wonderfully written book that kept me up until about 1:00 reading . . . Croup and Vandemar are pretty cold-blooded, though. they do their job well.

message 18: by Violet (new)

Violet ooooh, i love that series. i'm waiting to get my hands on a copy of Outcast . . . i've read all of them so far and i own the first ten books . . .

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like Inkheart and Inkspell. I would suggest PB Kerr's series The Children of the Lamp. Tamara Pierce is one of my favorites. Don't forget Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini!

Annie Great suggestions! Some oldies but goodies are the books in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Easy reads, too.

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess You might also try Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey, which deals a lot with the place of magic in society, and magicians vs non-magicians. The same is true in Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy, starting with The Amulet of Samarkand, although this series has more adventure and humor - Skin Hunger is more intense and thoughtful. Catherine Fisher's Oracle series, starting with The Oracle Betrayed, has some Greek mythological elements and deals with control of the oracle and power.

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan has quite a waiting list at our library. My kids fought over these books. The first one is called The Lightning Thief.

message 23: by bee (last edited Feb 12, 2008 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

bee Tamora Pierce books are wonderful reads and she expands the story line with each new quartet. Also check out her Circle of Magic series.

I'd also suggest Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing with Dragons quartet. These are great reads and have a hint of quirkyness to them that's awesome.

And though they aren't quite in the same genre as these; Brian Jacques Redwall series is a good choice and those don't have to be read in any kind of order really. I'd try Redwall, Mariel of Redwall or Mattimeo first.

Sella Malin it's not out yet, but there is a third book in the inkheart trilogy; the title is probably inkdeath, so you can wait for that (it is coming out sometime in the spring of 2008). a series i really enjoy is the septimus heap series by angie sage. also... the warriors series by erin hunter is really good. and you can't go wrong with Eragon and Eldest by Paolini!!! sorry if you dont like any of my suggestions.

Sella Malin oh and i the percy jackson series is pretty good

Bridget Oh i heard the third book is gunna be called Inkdawn

Sella Malin really? on cornelia funke's website it says it's called Inkdeath

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hi Kathryn

I really enjoyed Fablehaven! The third in the series comes out beginning of April. Went through them so fast. Couldn't put them down. Candy Shop Wars is proving to be very good as well by the same author. Brandon Mull. Check it out! I think you would like them.

Good Luck!

Lisa

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda hey kathryn, never read InkHeart but i loved HP, and would suggest the Alchemyst By;Micheal Scott. The sequel comes out in June and i'll be biting my nails till then, (figuratively).Plus it touches on Nicholas Flamel. . .

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ the percy jackson books by rick riordan are a really awesome fantasy series. :)

message 31: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Hi! I know this is rather old, but I thought I'd throw in a couple books also:

The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, by Clare Dunkle. (I REALLY loved these books! They are YA by the way. She also wrote a book called "By These Ten Bones" and it was REALLY good too!)

The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale (Loved them. The 2nd book is Enna Burning, and the 3rd is River Secrets... they get better with each book! These are YA too)

Rowan of Rin, by Emily Rodda (There are 5 books in this series and they were pretty small but great! They are Juv. She also write "Key To Rondo" and the "Deltora quest"....

The Uglies Trilogy, by Scott Westerfeld (Despite being a Trilogy, there are 4 books in it. They are YA, and not really about magic, but good! The midnighter books were good too!)

~Clare~

message 32: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I recently finished "Larklight" by Philip Reeve and thought it was fantastic!! Great characters, and quite original (a space, pirate, fantasy, Victorian era YA book!:>) I'm very much looking forward to the sequel "Starcross."

Stacia there are alot of good fantasy books out there right now,,,,if you really want to throw yourself into crazy, cooky, magical fantasy though...i would suggest Faery Reel. Its a great book of short stories about little fantasy creatures.

message 34: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Our family really loves the Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye. We also really love the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. These have great messages and have all the elements that you are seeking. Enjoy!

message 35: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky I LOVED Harry Potter as well, and found the Bartimaus series (3 books) by Jonathan Stroud just as fun to read. I describe it as like Harry Potter in that it deals with Magic and that's about it!

Also I agree all of the Neil Gamin stuff is great!

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ooh, i like neil gaiman, too. i LOVE coraline--that book is amazing, but it scared the heck out of me. haha. it's going to be a movie next year (yaaay!). Tamora Pierce is also really good--I especially enjoyed the Circle of Magic series. And I'm currently reading the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud...those are good, too.

message 37: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune I read "Blink of an Eye" by Ted Dekker, and it was REALLY good! It's not really fantasy, but its mysterous (sp?) and I really loved it!

Beth A. Try Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. It's one of my all time favorites and I've read a lot of fantacy.

message 39: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Please try the Hungry City Chronicles (Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices and the Darkling Plain) and the Belagariad series by David Eddings.

Isabell Rennie I would also recommend The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Clare YOU SHOULD READ PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIAN SERIES!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh You need to read the Fabelhaven series and the Shannara series by terry brooks

Shelby HP and Inkheart are some of my favorites too! I also really liked the Leven Thumps Series and the Artemis Fowl series.

message 44: by Bell (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bell I loved the unicorn chronicles and Artemis fowl series. I would suggest the septemus heap series. I loved magyk. I've yet to read flyte. But i'm excited to. And I want to read leven thumps.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Eragon and Eldest seem like your type of book, definatly.

Kelsey I'm a huge fan of Inkheart and Harry Potter too!I definitely would recommend the Fablehaven books. They're considered children's fantasy, but I recently read them (I'm 21), and I loved them.

message 47: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh I just finished 1-3 of the fablehaven series, they were really fun and an easy read. I highly recommend them. If you want fantasy the best fantasy writer of all time is Terry Brooks and his Shanara series. 5 stars and more ...

Bridget lol yeah I've got both books but i never got around to reading them

Bridget omg how dare she change it! lol jk

Patricia Now read inkspell, it sums up the series

« previous 1