Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Amazon Kindle

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) It looks cool, but it's not for me. There's nothing like the feel and heft of a book in my hands. Plus, we'd miss out on being looked at as weirdos for having two or three in a bag/purse at once if they're all stored on the nifty little gadget!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Just think, though, you could have your whole library at your fingertips!

message 4: by Judub (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Judub | 11 comments Amazon Kindle has done one thing right: the ebook price for Kindle is getting to the point I deem more realistic and reasonalbe; still not cheap enough but getting there. But at the same time, it has done at least two things wrong: making the whole thing proprietary amazon on top of the price of the reader itself. Don't even mention the ugliness of the design.
I don't mind having an ebook even though I love the feel of a real book just like you. Think about it, e-book would enable you to carry more than one spare book in your paperback size purse/bag. And it doesn't stop you from buying the same copy of the real version. I had my eyes on the Sony reader for a while like I told you a while back when I asked everyone's feeling regarding ebook (see that post on my opinion of the Sony reader).

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) I do like the idea of having 200 books or newspapers, along with Internet access without having to locate a hotspot.

But, it is pretty ugly. Ick...

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It looks like it's very different from eBook or the Sony Reader, BookMonkey.

Agreed that it's not all that aesthetically pleasing.

message 7: by Judub (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Judub | 11 comments Agree, Sarah. Kindle is more multi-functional. In general I would get a ebook/reader just to read books, like carrying 200 books with me; not to surf the web for newspaper or blogs etc, or even to purchase another book. I have computers, both desktop and portable for those. In that sense Kindle is something in between a ebook/reader and a portable computer. I am all for multi-functional gadgets to reduce clutter in my bag, but I don't think Kindle has the best combo of the functions together. It is very ugly. You would think they would spare some money on the designing front...

message 8: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I checked the website for the Kindle, because i wanted to see what it was all about. I do have a few gripes tho.... Most books I see are 10 smackers, now, thats a steal if you normally buy hardcovers, however... if you buy paperbacks, you are saving almost no money whatsoever when you purchase them through Kindle. It almost seems not worth it to me... Not to mention the fact that since its new, the thing itself costs 400 bucks!

I would probably buy one, if the price came down for the unit, as well as for books. (an older novel should only be a few bucks if that....) My other worry would be that it becomes lost in times and only sticks around for a few years, goes belly up and your left with an expensive pc of equipment that you cant do diddly with.

Im still one of those old fashioned book lovers. Nothing can replace sitting someplace and cracking open a new novel. And im quite proud of the little library Ive been building up over the years. I like to show off the fact that im a reader. (what a book snob, i know!) How am i to do that with a Kindle???

message 9: by Guillermo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Guillermo (eprayer) | 9 comments I think it's evil.

message 10: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Mike Lori’s right – nothing replaces grabbing a book out of your collection and sitting down to escape the world for a while. The Kindle is just another dang electronic gizmo demanding care – my books never need recharging and if one goes missing, I don’t have to file an insurance claim. Where would I go at the mall when the rest of the fam goes shopping, if the bookstore is replaced by a USB cable or WiFi Hotspot? I can’t count the number of interesting conversations with strangers while traveling when one of us would ask about the book the other was reading. How would you do that with a Kindle?

There is one area where the Kindle would be a good thing right now. Give one to each of my kids for school texts. If each freshman got a Kindle at the start of school, we could save a fortune in worn out backpacks over four years. Our schools don’t have lockers (like when I was a kid) and they have to lug over 20 lbs of books to and from school daily. I seriously think this device would work for school.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Did you even read the info on the Kindle? No cables or WiFi needed. It uses cell phone technology to download the books. And don't you think the Kindle itself would start conversations?

message 12: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I actually like Mikes idea that schools supply it to students for reading assignments... however, that would be awfully pricey for the schools and who would be held responsible for the damage or loss of one? hmmmm....

I see many pluses and minuses for the kindle, and i refuse to even THINK about them really, until the price comes down, since that is the most important factor to me at the moment! :)

message 13: by Rincey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Rincey (rinceya) http://101reasonstostopwriting.com/20...

That blog talks about the bad parts of the Kindle. I will agree that this type of technology seems to only be useful for the frequent traveler. As someone who rarely travels for more than just a week or two at a time, I don't find it very useful because in a worse case scenario, I can always find a bookstore to purchase more books.

message 14: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Mike Ouch! Color me fittingly chastised. I actually did read the info and know the USB cable is only needed for audiobooks and mp3s. I just didn’t let the facts get in the way of a clever (in my own mind) point. Strange how I always sound so much smarter in my own head. Sorry.

message 15: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Tara Betts (tara_betts) | 5 comments I've been reading some stuff that there's still not a very broad catalog of things to choose from on Kindle, and that you'll probably wear the battery down searching for stuff. I have to admit that I too like the heft and feel of an actual book. It seems easier on my eyes than staring at a screen, and I wouldn't freak out as if I had lost a $400 book.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) As far as looking at the screen, it is not supposed to be any different than looking at paper. It is not backlit, and the screen is paper-like.

Amazon.com has something like 9000 books available for Kindle, and that does not include the magazines and blogs. The battery supposedly lasts a week.

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I like this blogger's point, though:

"Whither the name ‘Kindle’, I’m not sure, but I think any word that connotes ‘burning’ probably shouldn’t be part of a book product promotion"