Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent question

Do you know what your fear landscape would contain?
Riley Riley Apr 25, 2012 09:29PM
After I finished reading this, I couldn't stop thinking; I wanted to know what my fear landscape would be like. What simulations would be in there? As I don't know of many of my own fears, myself, I can only speculate. I suspect some simulations of failure would fall into it, some of losing my mind, and some of losing control. Centipedes might also play a part.

What are your greatest fears, and how do you think they would manifest themselves in your fear landscape?

Probably people I love dying in front of me, being buried alive or being stuck in a small space (like an elevator. I'm not too comfortable with riding in elevators), and being embarrassed in front of a crowd. I don't think I could survive the fear landscape. :P

BelleScar (last edited Apr 26, 2012 05:58AM ) Apr 26, 2012 05:58AM   1 vote
Snakes every where... Spiders but only known ones that poisones..Extremely small dark rooms with no windows, no doors nothing, Just a small cramp dark room..

.Wasps.

.probably being kidnapped without being able to fight or scream.

.Being locked in a dark hospital or mental asylum, with a girl who has a close ressemblance to the one in The Grudge or Ring.

.And also being burnt or buried alive.

Me alone in a space full of wild animals, or maybe being trapped in a sinking ship.

And probably standing alone on a stage with thousands of people staring at me, and ME forgetting what to say . :P . Well, I think that would be hilarious not scary but anyway.

Spiders. Spiders EVERYWHERE with nowhere to run, no escape. Claustrophia. I think this would manifest itself into Bear Hugs. Bear Hugs always get to me.

Not sure about other fears but those are my most common fears, and let me tell you, it isn't easy keeping away from spiders....

Being a failure, being deaf, crowds or busy places falling, all of my family dying and having no one left, drowning, being shot and failing my gcse and not being able to make anything of my life...

Oh yeah, add public humiliation and social anxiety with mine

Alone. In the darkness. Not a sound to be heard in an echoing room.

Just to remain in an empty, pitch black space with no signs of life. Not even from myself...

This is a really good question...
I'm afraid of fire, and heights. Thats about it really.

I'd be floating in space
With moths flying around me
All the people I love dying and/or being hurt really bad around me
I'd have wet hair sticking to me... Yeah I know, an irrational fear
Dead animals all over the place, most likely fish

deleted member Apr 28, 2012 04:37PM   0 votes
Being paralyzed, snakes touching me and watching someone being tortured while I'm unable to stop it.

Fire, water, driving

bugs more bugs and then too terrible to mention

Aurora (last edited Apr 28, 2012 08:39AM ) Apr 27, 2012 05:30PM   0 votes
Dogs having a vicious fight to death/attacking me

Windy thunderstorms that lead to tornadoes that destroy my house and everything and everyone in it but me

Medical needles/injections

Everyone losing faith in me

Being touched in an intimate way/intimacy (a lot like Tris)

Falling

Suffocating

Driving (yes, I'm terrified to drive) and crashing the car and killing someone

Yeah, it's really weird but I have a fear of Mylar balloons (the shiny ones) when they float up to the ceiling or when they're deflated after being inflated.

I probably have more but they're subconscious and not obvious to me consciously.

losing my mind, loved ones dying, mutated frogs

public speaking

claustrophobia

failing

Rats and cockroaches, that's for sure.

Spiders, death, being alone. I'm not really scared of anything else...

spiders would be a big one....being tortured...being the only one alive....and many more but they just all rushed right out of my head

Drowning. Being stabbed alive. Being bombed. Someone telling me I have cancer. Dying alone.

AdAstra (last edited Apr 28, 2012 03:52AM ) Apr 28, 2012 03:46AM   0 votes
-Mine would probably have something to do with not being in control, for instance walking on an never ending hallway with no doors and no chance whatsoever of escaping, because the hallway wouldn't end on either side ...

-Being burried alive in a really small space where I could not move is also something that would probably appear, possibly with bugs crawling in and eating my flesh.

-Maybe being in a really crowded space with people everywhere, touching me, not giving me any space

-Being in a situation where I would not be able to fight the threat (again not being in control), like having a fatal illness (tumor, cancer ...)

-Being afraid

Would probably be me in pitch black darkness and being trapped in some kind of box and not being able scream.

Robert (last edited Apr 26, 2012 10:59AM ) Apr 26, 2012 10:59AM   0 votes
Snakes...lots of snakes...spiders, tight spaces, high towers...things like that...:|

I know drowning would probably be on mine. Also loss of control. Having to hurt someone (i'm super selfless like that). Getting injured to lose my mind (erudite fear). Probably someone I love abusing me physically. And probably something like me having to run down a wire staircase as it breaks, both fear of heights and my inability to overcome them.

Defiantly don't like heights or falling to my death from them. I tried absailing sky diving and cliff diving to get over it. But then when you are strapped in there's no chance of that. With no safety net I'd be really curious what mine would be. Then knowing it's a simulation like knowing you've a rope / parachute would any fears show up? Maybe I am Divergent lol

Spiders. Definitely.
Public humiliation.
Probably more things that I don't know myself yet...

Oh definitely frogs, lizards and other weird slimy creatures crawling or jumping towards me >.<

NOT being able to sing >.<

And maybe being left all alone to myself? :)

HEIGHTS-my biggest fear.
something with humiliation
most definitely spiders or some sort of bug
falling (from high up)
failure
somebody (even a person I don't know) dying in front of me or being in pain

Annie Failure, thats a great one! Im afraid of that too.
Sep 15, 2012 01:21PM

deleted member Apr 27, 2012 01:51PM   0 votes
snakes and small crowded spaces!

Annie That would totally be my mom!
Sep 15, 2012 01:20PM

bugs crawling on me, something social, in a group where no one likes me or something. I don't know any other fears, I'm pretty good with facing them too so I think the only one I would have an issue with is the bugs on me, lol

Oblivion. A world without color. Complete, and utter emptiness. :|

tight spaces

guns

people I love dying

being embarrased

sharks

trying to escape but not being able to (sometimes in dreams when I am trying to run but cant-feels like you are running under water or in sand)

claustrophobia, isolation, drowning, etc.

Awesome question! I know spiders and snakes would be there. Maybe something with heights. And when Tris had Four in her fear landscape, mine would be similar, but it would be getting married. I have a fear of commitment, I think. Oh and being pregnant... That scares the crap out of me lol

CATS, SPIDERS, BUGS

Nice looking toys which would harm me

Darkness. Being alone, surronded by darkness and silence.

B Apr 26, 2012 09:27AM   0 votes
Oh gosh, this is tough, ...
Probably public humiliation, a gruesome death, being tortured, skulls, losing my family and a lot more. And I had to dig deep in my memory to find those fears

Being buried alive. and probably falling from the sky.

An embarrassing social situation, definitely. Being trapped in a room with no windows and doors. And something with toxic gas.

Birds, definitive Seagulls and doves... being buried alive and i don`t know...^^

Annie (last edited Sep 15, 2012 01:18PM ) Sep 15, 2012 01:17PM   0 votes
I'm not quite sure. There would defenantly be some doctor trying to give me a shot because I am really afraid of needles. other that that, there would probably be the typical group of people trying to hunt me down and kill me. Also, probably my whole family would turn away from me, because who wouldn't be afraid of not being loved by anyone!

I actually dreamed about this just last night, and it was scarily accurate. They were:
1.) A Guinea worm. I don't really want to elaborate on the details, but I had a giant Guinea worm, the size of a basilisk. It had the word "Selfish" branded on its head.
2.) Standing in a tunnel. It was a normal maintenance tunnel, pipes and doors and little golf cart things. I managed to take a few steps forward and it became a rabbit hole-type tunnel, another step and it was a road tunnel. Another and it was a mine shaft. I'm terrified of tunnels.
3.) I stood behind a podium in front of an audience of a million faceless, staring people. Beside me was a thin woman in a business suit, pressing the barrel of a gun into my younger sister's head. "Speak, and I'll spare her," she said. I started sweating, and shaking, and tearing up, just like I always do before a presentation at school. "Tell them about Ancient Greece," the lady suggested in a tone that was mocking and deadpan all at once. "Tell them about Emperor Trajan." I sobbed, told her I couldn't, begged. A gunshot.
4.) Seeing myself as an elderly woman, in a glass room containing only a hospital bed and a box of tissues. Outside the room, an epic battle raged, dragons swooped from the sky, etc. Old me reached out to touch the glass, hand shaking, but lacked the stamina to shatter it. (I've realised I'm concerned about dying without any adventures.)
5.) I stood on an open plain, waiting. Then, on the horizon, the world broke into little dark fragments like it had been put in a paper shredder. The destruction roared toward me, and I turned to run but my ankles were chaine to the ground.
I must have a darker mind than I thought...

I don't really know what mine would be. Public Humiliaton would probably be on my list, but I'm not really sure what else.

BLOOD, lots of it

Interesting question, I hadn't even thought about my own!
Water...lots and lots of water! Jumping off some tall building (there is no way I could be dauntless, much less the first jumper!) And just plain not knowing...I'm just a Eurudite in that way :)

I really want to go through a simulation!! i just want to see so badddlyyy what would happen. i seriously prob have so many fears that im not even aware of. ha

Barbara (last edited Sep 02, 2012 11:07PM ) Sep 02, 2012 11:04PM   0 votes
I know exactly. my fear landscape would involve heights but then would switch to something happening to me in front of my kids. Crashing into a deep body of water with my kids in the back seat and being unable to save them.

I have thought long and hard about it, and the one thing I'm absolutely terrified of, is PAIN!!!
I don't know how they would put that into a simulation though. lol

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Divergent (other topics)