The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 8: Westerns > True Grit- book club selection- *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod

message 2: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 33 comments Westerns aren't my genre, but this book earns 3.5 stars from me. My library had to dig this up from the archives, and it looks like it hasn't been read in years, which is a shame. It has the spunky kid, the crusty almost has-been cowboy, and some hilarious moments.
Once you've read it, have a look at the Youtube "John Wayne in True Grit then and now" extended video to check out the scenery.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read this one today, beginning to end. I really liked it. I loved Mattie and her storytelling. It was fun to see how she'd bully everyone into doing what she wanted. It was an easy, enjoyable read. I can't say I've ever read a "western", but this was good and felt more like historical fiction. I'm sure this one will stay with me.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat | 8 comments I'm glad we picked this one because I would not have picked a western on my own. And I did enjoy the read. I agree with Melissa: it read like historical fiction, which I love. I haven't seen the movie in years and vaguely remember not loving it. Now I'm curious to see it again.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Obray | 2 comments I have to say that I too, am impressed. I am only about 100 pages in, but was surprised at how much I am enjoying it so far. I really was not excited about reading a western, but I am really pleased with it so far.

message 6: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
I am looking forward to reading this book. I am waiting for my Library to get it in.

message 7: by William (new)

William (acknud) Excellent read. I would have given this a 5 star but I felt it could have been fleshed out a bit. The movie holds pretty true to the book but there a few minor deviations made to make the movie more "viewable".

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments I read 85 pages the first night (but only 7 the next-too tired!) and I'm really enjoying it. I have't seen the movie in years, I'll have to watch it soon.

message 9: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments I was really enjoying this at first but it's dragging a bit for me now. I have about 40 pages to go so hopefully I'll finish tonight. I'm hoping the ending is as strong as the beginning-the middle fell a bit flat for me.

message 10: by Dia (new)

Dia I enjoyed this book overall. I had to make myself start reading it. My husband liked it a lot more then me. I actually heard him laugh out loud one time.

message 11: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
My library says the ordered it but it is taking so long that I am going to move on to Ender's Game and then come back to true Grit. Of course once I start reading Ender's game they will get True Grit

message 12: by Amy (last edited Jan 25, 2009 04:32PM) (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 25 comments Is this where we post our discussions on this January book club selection? I haven't read this yet, but I'm going to see if I can get a copy in time. I'm a fast reader.

message 13: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments Yes Bibliocrates-this is where we post about the book. It's a quick read, I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting through it.

I really liked the dialog in the book but the longer sections of narrative without dialog kind of bored me after a while. Reading the book definitely makes me want to watch the movie again though.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 25 comments Thanks Joanie! I ordered the book and look forward to reading it, although I'm usually not too fond of westerns. We'll see...

message 15: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
I am so excited I started Ender's game and my Library called letting me know the book was finally here. lol.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa MJ - you knew that was going to happen! Murphy's Law, huh?

message 17: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
yup. I am only a few pages into enders game so I am just going to go ahead and read True Grit

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 25 comments I got the book today. The blurbs go on about how humorous the book is, was surprised by that. I'm going to start it after my current read and will post my thoughts when I'm through...

message 19: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
I was finally able to read this book. I was suprised by how much I liked it. It reminded me of being young and reading all those zane gray and Louie Lamaur books.

message 20: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I like the "matter of fact" way this story is told. Very no frills and no mushy girl stuff thrown in. For a Western (not my fav genre) it was VERY enjoyable! I can't wait to see the new movie coming out since I haven't seen a movie about this book yet!

The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Murphy's Law (other topics)