Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Critical Editions...And Other Writings

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Carl | 1 comments How do people feel about combining texts which either 1) present the same text, but one footnotes historical information to help contextualize the text for unfamiliar readers; and 2) bindings which may be 90% the same material wiuth no textual variations, but one edition includes a short piece that the other excludes.

I confronted both of these issues when attempting to clean up the "Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin"

Thanks for any advice

message 2: by Elizabeth, Chief Wordsmith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Mod
My thoughts are that you should combine both clean and annotated books together, but if there is an additional short piece, you should keep that book separate. What do you guys think?

message 3: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) | 6 comments What kind of short piece? I think introductions and, y'know, "notes on this text" sorts of things can vary and still be combined, but if there is another published work contained within the edition, then that's a separate book.

message 4: by Lavina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Lavina (lavina_l) | 3 comments I've actually been thinking about this. I agree with Kate -- I think editions with different introductions and prefaces and that sort of thing can still be combined. I think, though, that it's important, in any case, to add the names of the authors of said introductions, prefaces, annotations to the author subfields so that separate editions' profiles can be distinct and unique to the edition someone's reviewing. The "(note: review of isbn xxxxxxxxx)" is helpful for making edition distinctions within combined titles. But, yeah, I guess it would depend on what kind of short piece you're talking about?

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Kate wrote: "What kind of short piece? I think introductions and, y'know, "notes on this text" sorts of things can vary and still be combined, but if there is another published work contained within the editio..."

Definitely agree with this.

Norton Critical Editions should not be separated from all the other editions of a work.