The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > Holiday Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I'm trying to get into the holiday spirit more this year. My book club "in real life" picked A redbird christmas for this month. I found it a little boring and cheesy. Maybe I don't have a heart. Anyhow - any good holiday book recommendations not on the book club bookshelf? What do you like to read every Christmas??

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepard which is the book A Christmas Story was based on.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 3: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Tiffany I'm going to get In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash as soon as I'm well enough to leave the house. Who knows, maybe I can even get my bibliophobe husband to read that one since we both love A Christmas Story. (Wishful thinking!)

message 4: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Good one Sarah. I will add that too my list!

message 5: by Janet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Janet Mitchell | 19 comments The stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore is a light holiday book. Very silly, but amusing. An angel is trying to make up for a mistake and goes to Earth to help a town, but makes everything much worse.

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Hmmmm... never heard of that one. My mom used to read the littlest angel to us every year when we were kids. Sounds fun.

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Meghan Janet! I love Christopher Moore. Have you read "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"? It's the best book he's written.

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Meghan Oh, that wasn't really holiday-ish. Let's see, my favorite Christmas book to read every year is the classic "The Night Before Christmas". My godmother gave me a beautifully illustrated version and I just have really fond memories of my dad reading it to me every year. It's really not Christmas without that story.

message 9: by Janet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Janet Mitchell | 19 comments Meghan,
Lamb is one of my all time favorite books, ever. I like others written by Moore, but nothing else comes close. The stupidest angel was just the Christmas book that stuck out in my head. They have a new edition of Lamb that just came out that looks like a bible, very cool.
Janet

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) When I went to buy Lamb all the had was the bible-looking leather bound edition, which would be cool if I were giving it to someone as a gift, but I just wanted a cheapie paperback.

message 11: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Meghan Yeah, I saw that one. It's cool, but I had to buy a second copy already because my first one was loaned and never returned. But honestly, I'd be willing to lose another copy if it meant more people read that book! It's so good!

message 12: by Arctic (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Have to second Moore's The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. It's especially good for Evil Dead fans.

There's also Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, a discworld book. Smart fantasy series ala Hitchhiker's Guide for those interested.

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Maybe I am the only one, but I kinda liked Skipping Christmas. I just hated the trite ending. But the beginning and middle were kind of fun.

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I don't think reading "cheesy" Christmas stories is bad. It's like admitting you like cheesy Christmas movies.

There's a romance novelist that wrote a Christmas story (it's part of this compilation of short stories by various famous romance novelists). It's probably my favorite Christmas story to read. It's cheesy and gooey like a romance novel but it has heart and I always cry at a certain part. I look forward to reading that every year because I know I'm going to cry at that one part.

Don't ask me what the story is though. For the life of me I can't remember it and I have no idea where it got packed. sigh. Getting old is hard.

message 15: by Lara (new)

Lara Estelle (Laraestelle) | 3 comments I was planning on reading Little Women when December nears (mostly because I love the movie and I'm interested on what the book is like). Great suggestions here, hope this thread doesn't die out.

I think I might take a look at Hogfather. I loved Good Omens whereupon Pratchett collaborated with Neil Gaiman. I wonder if Hogfather can be read as a standalone?

message 16: by BookGirl (new)

BookGirl (NicholeMaree21) | 27 comments I tried reading The Christmas Sweater a few years ago during the holidays. I didn't finish it. I might try again this year. :)

message 17: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Young (DarcyAlcottPotter) | 34 comments Little Women - reads as a great holiday novel if you're wanting something with a Christmassy vibe that isn't too obvious or in your face, I read it nearly every December :)

Peter Pan - a great short read that has a subtle Christmassy vibe that will fill you with so much nostalgia you'll be transported back to the queasy feeling of waiting up all night for Santa :)

A Christmas Carol - an obvious and great choice if you're looking for something so Christmassy you'll be hanging you're stockings by the end of it :)

Other notable mentions are Louisa May Alcott's collection of short Christmas stories, The Night Before Christmas by Gogol - again an obvious but great choice and the Harry Potter Novels have a wonderful yet gentle Christmas distinction that will again grant you that wonderful childhood nostalgia :)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathryn3) | 27 comments Sammy wrote: "Little Women - reads as a great holiday novel if you're wanting something with a Christmassy vibe that isn't too obvious or in your face, I read it nearly every December :)

Peter Pan - a great sho..."

All your suggestions are wonderful!
:) Agreed!