Comments Showing 101-113 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by Kittyhawk (new)

Kittyhawk | 1 comments Three of my favorites- all very different moods:
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen
Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, and
my latest favorite,
Columbine by Dave Cullen. There's an AuthorQA starting on this today and I'm eager to see what other readers think about this NY TImes bestseller.

message 102: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 177 comments The Christian Bible is really interesting to read.
For example, the chapter about Esther, how she became Queen, what she went through to save her people, the Jews. The bad guy.... the good guy ... How Esther is remembered as being created "for such a time as this". Really a great non fiction story.
Sharon,
Peace

message 103: by El (new)

El I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders or not, but for anyone interested in serial killers it's definitely an interesting (and true) story.

message 104: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) El wrote: "I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders or not, but for anyone interested in serial killers it's definitely an interesting (and true)..."

I'll bet that is very interesting and creepy!

message 105: by Coalbanks (new)

Coalbanks | 186 comments Sharon wrote: "The Christian Bible is really interesting to read.
For example, the chapter about Esther, how she became Queen, what she went through to save her people, the Jews. The bad guy.... the good guy ......"

"non-fiction" ??

message 106: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I just saw this book on swaptree and I want to get it so bad! It looks like it could be really interesting: The Women Who Lived for Danger The Agents of the Special Operations Executive. It's about women spies during WWII.

message 107: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments Diane wrote: "El wrote: "I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders or not, but for anyone interested in serial killers it's definitely an interesting..."

It was!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1736 comments Garlic and Sapphires The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise is excellent, and so are Ruth Reichl's other two books of autobiography: Tender at the Bone Growing Up at the Table and Comfort Me With Apples More Adventures at the Table.

I am hopeful she eventually will write a volume about her years at the head of Gourmet magazine.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1736 comments Oh yes, and Will in the World How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare, by Stephen Greenblatt, is first-rate.

message 112: by Coalbanks (last edited Jun 11, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

Coalbanks | 186 comments Stephanie wrote: "I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned these but they are both very good.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
Left to Tell: Discover..."

Shake hands With the Devil Romeo Dellaire
UN commanding officer during the genocide which the UN did nothing about, neither did countries which had troops in the region ie USA (approx 300 troops in Kenya/Uganda) & France (the role of France in the genocide is a murky one indeed).

message 113: by Coalbanks (new)

Coalbanks | 186 comments Stephanie wrote: "I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned these but they are both very good.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
Left to Tell: Discover..."

From the perspective of the UN troops during the genocide try:
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
by Roméo Dallaire, Samantha Power

1 3 next »