Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > Graphic Novels?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Read any good graphic novels lately? Do tell!

message 2: by Jenn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Jenn | 6 comments The only one I've ever read is Maus I and II. It was very good! Have you read it?

message 3: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

I loved Maus and Maus II. LOVE Harvey Pekar. I have to admit, I didn't read anything by him until after seeing the "American Splendor" movie, but I have read almost everything since then. I particularly loved "Ego Hubris: the Michael Malice Story." What a weird dude. I've been lagging behind with my graphic novels lately. I think the last one I read in entirety was "American Born Chinese," which was good. Really great illustrations in that one, and an interesting storyline as well.

message 4: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

I just remembered another great one: "Bookhunter" by Jason Shiga. Hilarious if you work in a library, and I would imagine equally hilarious if you don't.

message 5: by Ryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Ryan | 1 comments One of the graphic novels I read recently and enjoyed was entitled “Black Brothers". It told the story of young children who were sent to Milan in the middle 19th century to become chimneysweeps under incredibly harsh conditions.The book generally focuses on a experience of a couple of the chimney sweeps. The book told a really interesting story and was beautifully illustrated.

message 6: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

I've been wanting to read Joe Sacco for a while now, but haven't gotten past the thinking about it stage. That "Black Brothers" sounds really great, too.

Another good graphic selection that I read recently was Ellen Forney's "I Love Led Zeppelin: Panty Dropping Comments." I read it after she enthralled me with her presentation at the Olympia Comics Festival.

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I've mainly read teen stuff, 'cause of being a youth services librarian. I read the Bone books by Jeff Smith, and they are a great fantasy epic that I highly recommend to all those kids waiting for the next Eragon book. I'm also reading Fruits Basket, very fun and very strong in its message of acceptance and love. I can so get behind that!

Black Hole by Charles Burns, is about as opposite of Fruits Basket as you can get, a dystopian view of teens dealing (actually, NOT dealing) with a sexually transmitted disease that mutates the infected in different ways. No one does anything to prevent or cure it - and it becomes a metaphor for teenage alienation. I think. It's creepy, it's for adults, and it's set in Seattle!

message 8: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

She talks about Led Zeppelin, but not exclusively. Black Hole and Stuck in the Middle are another two on my list. Damn that list!

message 9: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Ooh, I loved Blankets. I took Fun Home out, but didn't get a chance to read it before I had to return it. That happens to me all the time. I have poor book checkout control.

message 10: by Kristi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Kristi | 48 comments See my review of Laika (the little dog who participated in the Russian space program back in the 50's) It's one of the better graphic novels I've read lately. I also liked Garage Band by Gipi, a dark and subtle peek into the lives of four Italian rocker boys.

message 11: by Agathafrye (last edited Dec 13, 2007 12:26PM) (new)

Laika sounds really cool- I'm a big fan of any writing with dogs involved. I mentioned this already in Kristi's group, but I just started reading "The Invention of Hugo Cabret." It definitely bends the graphic novel genre in a different direction. It's a gorgeous book. The illustrations are out of this world, and the story is intriguing so far although the language is slightly awkward and clearly written for a juvenile audience. It's one of those books that I feel compelled to buy for someone as a gift. I'd like a copy for myself, too, but I'll resist that urge until after the holidays are over.

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 48 comments I also loved this book (Hugo Cabret) and am betting it will garner some sort of award. I just noticed that we (library) own a recorded book version too. Not sure I understand why, as the experience of looking at the illustrations is the most delicious part...

One more graphic novel to suggest: Aya by Marguerite Abouet. Set in the Ivory Coast during the '70's, a smart teenage girl tries to steer her life towards education and opportunity...

message 13: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Fun Home was great. Although, I must admit that it left me with a weird feeling..But it's always good when a book inspires an emotional reaction, so...

message 14: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Hugo Cabret was very beautiful and fantastic. Another great graphic novel I recently read was "The Plain Janes". A bunch of girls who live in a boring town start a sort of art gang and make installations all over town. Totally inspiring and wonderful.

message 15: by Agathafrye (new)

I've been wanting to read "The Plain Janes." Everybody loves it.