Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Winter Goals

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Dec 24, 2008 07:32AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) In keeping with our seasonal styled time frame, now that Winter has officially begun, what are your goals for this time of year?

For now I can think of:
~Pick up editing my book
~Start printing out 25 pics at least twice a month
~Stay on my vitamins and journaling
~Lose more weight
~Get/be as healthy as I can be in preparation for trying to have a baby
~Get back to writing (I've been on a break since finishing NaNoWriMo this November!)
~Get thru my to be read pile by the bed

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Stay warm!

message 3: by April (new)

April (contusions96) I like Roxy's suggestion! Some days I think that is all the energy I have.

Train to run a 5k.
Lose 40 lbs.
Finish my TBR pile.
Catch up on my knitting projects.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I hear ya's on the lack of energy thing!

message 5: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Here are mine...

~ Start journaling
~ Get my printed pictures into albums
~ Start cooking more and having family dinners
~ Read at least 2 books per month
~ Start and finish a Gratitude journal

message 6: by Holli (last edited Dec 24, 2008 01:07PM) (new)

Holli I would like to get my pictures printed and put away in their books

I want to start calling people more or sending them letters/cards instead of using text or email

I would like to begin journaling again

message 7: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I would like to learn to knit, at least a simple item
I want to be a better person, to friends and family alike
Be a better friend by contacting more often and making myself a little more available
Keep reading :)

message 8: by Meg (last edited Dec 30, 2008 03:54AM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Read from my TBR pile
Write more
Follow up on all of the hobbies that I startesd and are waiting for me,
Lose weight, exercise more
Draw more
Inner peace
Be more forgiving

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments Well, I am in retail. I am hoping for SLEEP!! I feel so sleep deprived because of working a zillion of hours before Christmas. It does not look promising for me until after inventory the last week of January...

Other than that I am catching up on my reading and my tai chi!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Leslie, I feel your pain! I worked in retail most of the time from when I was 16 until I was 29 and always had to work mad hours up to Xmas, Xmas Eve & the day after!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I know this may sound silly, but I'd like to add exploring decaf & caff free hot tea's. I want to try & expand my taste beyond regular/decaf, english breakfast/decaf and decaf green tea. So far I haven't had any luck though, but I want to keep trying.

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Amanda is the tea queen I believe, you might want to pick her brain Jo.

~ Tea Queen, Bee Queen, Queen Bee, Queen Tea. I need to get out more because that made me giggle.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera wrote: "~ Tea Queen, Bee Queen, Queen Bee, Queen Tea. I need to get out more because that made me giggle."

Tera, I giggled too so perhaps I should go take a walk!

Thanks for the Amanda tea brain picking tip! (My friend Gill is quite the extensive tea drinker and I was picking her brain the other day!)

My problem is that I've got such a problem with herbal tea's - they tend to make me queasy or I can't stand the smell of them, so I won't venture so far as to taste them!

message 14: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments 1. Stay warm (so hard to do with gas price so high)
2. Scrapbook again
3. Get back on WW (seriously this time)
4. Plan a weekend getaway by myself (don't rely on the schedule of others) - I'm thinking Boston!

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 40 comments Thank you Jo for calling this thread "goals" versus "resolution"! Here are mine:

1. Land a job (Unfortunately, I'm a result of the icky economy and lost mine in September.)
2. Pictures - I need to get caught up from about the last five+ years.
3. Start journaling - I've always intended.
4. Plan better meals - we're in a rut!
5. Eat better for health.

I'm sure I'll have more - just don't want to overwhelm myself for the beginning of the new year!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Some goals are:

~Lose the 15 pounds I gained last year and get back to my Weight Watcher lifetime weight I had achieved
~Read 75 books. I made it to 70 this year (or will when I finish The Divide by the end of the year).
~In reading, read at least 5 classics I've meant to read
~The old exercise more goal
~Start writing more. I have a couple of book ideas I started this year and need to develop.
~Continue to weed out closets and drawers in my house to get rid of excess "stuff"
~Get back to playing the piano, specifically practice the new sheet music I bought for myself this Christmas, Pachelbel's Canon in D, and be able to play it nicely by next Christmas
~Start getting printed pictures in albums

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Your welcome Lisa! Inspired by CoL member Teri, I've been starting seasonal timed goal posts for a couple of reasons: Breaking things up into 3 month spans is way less intimidating than 12 months at a clip and I feel anything deemed a "resolution" (no matter how good our intentions are) is doomed from the start.

message 18: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Dolly your comments inspired me! I want to be a better friend this winter. I want to pick up the phone and call all those friends I haven't talked to in a really long time and get caught up.

I'm also hoping to get back into the swing of exercising. Since I started my new job earlier this month, I've exercised twice. That's pathetic, since before I was running at least 3 times a week. Must get back on track!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I use 43 Things.com to post all my goals..and I'm in the process of adding a few of my "winter goals".. I need a place where i can write about it and find encouragement in my goals. A few of my goals for this winter:

-Get a job!! (being an unemployed, recent college grad is no fun)
-Call people back
-take more pictures to document my life
-start writing more
-get in shape for my spring break vacation!

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments - I'd like to start journaling. I have started in the past but always give it up. I want to keep at it. I'm gonna buy me a pretty book to journal in so that maybe that will entice me to keep going!
- I want to write down the "short story" that I've had in my brain for a long time.
- I need to put down onto paper the song that keeps going on in my head for years now
- Write letters - I have an aunt that I never write to anymore and I feel bad about that.
- Start exercising

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I like the term goal too because that's so much looser than resolution. It's not so succeed or fail, in my mind.

My goals are to:
Get back down to 120.
Go on daily walks and eat healthier to feel better.
Read 60 books this year.
Take more pictures.
De-clutter and simplify my life.
Write in my journal more often.
Write more blog posts.
Finish reading the Bible.
And grow spiritually.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Happy New Year to you too Brenda!

message 23: by Tish (new)

Tish | 59 comments My goals......
*Learn to crochet
*Walk 4 times a week for at least 40 mins
*Eat healthy
*Learn to have a little more patience with my family
*Finish reading the Bible

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think most of us have the goal of losing weight. Perhaps we should start a thread about weight loss to encourage each other and be held accountable for our weight loss goal.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Lori, our fellow CoL member Amanda started a new group earlier this year which you may want to check out, Fatties Unite!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I want to add that i'd like to finish my online Interior Design course by the end of February.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments I've started journaling and it's really helping because my wish list for myself is sooo long this year!
#1. writing is high on my list and I'm thrilled that I have a book outline to work on. I find it interesting how different authors story line their books before the actual writing begins (I know some don't)...
#2. I want to be a runner again. It is my mooooost favorite exercise and it is always best outside.
#3. Read at least a book a week -
#4. Read more diverse material....non-fiction; history; genre's like sci-fi / mystery, more books about the writing process. I tend to get in a contemporary fiction rut...and so classics added to this is good.
#5. Except for books I want to spend less money
#6. I want to love and care for the people in my life in the best possible ways.
#7. Lastly, I want to quit wasting time. (watching tv when I'm not really enjoying it is a good example of wasting time)

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Mary, I like your list. I might have to steal a couple of your ideas! You seem so enthusiastic, so I know you'll accomplish a lot in 09.

message 29: by Thauna (last edited Dec 30, 2008 07:32PM) (new)

Thauna So many good lists...you ladies really inspire me!

My Goals for Winter:
*Start moving/exercising
*Keep blogging and find my voice (do I have one??)
*Read instead of watching TV that I'm not enjoying
*Take more pictures
*Get back to my digital scrapbooking
*Eat better
*Focus on my studies (MBA) better and take it up a knotch
*work on healing my heart

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments You all have alot of great goals.
For this winter I'd like to get out snowshoeing. And for inside I need to finish some unfinished crochet projects I have stashed around.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thauna, you already have a great voice - I suspect you just need to feel more comfy with writing so that you can hear it!

message 32: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Thank you Jo! That means a lot to me! You're right, it's still a bit weird to share my thoughts on that level, but it's something I really want to do, so I'll keep practicing.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) You're welcome Thauna! I think the best thing to do w/personal blogging is to not worry about the reader - blog/write for you and you'll not only get comfortable with it (and your writing), you'll enjoy it a lot! Happy New Year!

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Our spare bedroom is an absolute disaster area. We bought the house last January and got married in March. Anything we haven't had time to deal with has ended up in there. I hate to be cooped up inside when the weather is nice so my goal is to have it cleaned out and organized by spring.