The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Book Swap

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) I have used this website a few times and it is awesome! I have never had any problems while using it. All you have to pay is the shipping and if you use Media Mail with with USPS it is cheaper! Here is the website:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments i use PBS as well! I love it..i have never had any problems and get all my books relatively quickly!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Jamie - you're the one who gave me the idea. I love it too, it is great!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments aww i'm glad laura! :)
has anyone else ever used Bookmooch? It's basically the same thing. It's my second choice..i generally put up books that are a little more worn (they aren't as strict) or if a book doesn't go on PBS..i will put it on Bookmooch.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I love both sites! PBS has more books I want, but Bookmooch has a better credit system.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) I've never used Bookmooch but I will be looking into it if it has a better credit system. I am not a fan of the one on PBS. (I still like going to the good will store for books! Its my top pick for buying books.. Can't beat 25 cents a book!)

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I used to go to the Goodwill store a lot for books, but since they changed their hours it is no longer convenient for me. The library also has books on sale (50 cents a paperback, $1.00 a hardcover).

Most of the time, though, I use either one of the trading sites for all my used book purchases.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) Used books are the best! I told my boyfriend that for my birthday, if he got me a box of used books.. I would be in heaven! LOL

message 9: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) There's always http://www.bookcrossing.com/ which I have just started doing. Lots of fun. We meet up once a month and have dinner together too.

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I've done both bookmooch and paperback swap and been happy with both. The credit systems are similar but on book mooch you get 1/10 of a credit for each book posted then an additional credit when you mail a book.

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy If you swap internationally on Bookmooch, you receive three credits for books you send.

message 12: by Beth Ann (new)

Beth Ann (bagrover) Well, I did a post like this last night but I should have looked closer to see that there was already a post! LOL! Anyway, I did PBS too, but got too overwhelmed and poor because I was sending out close to 15 books in one week. I tried to pare down my available list, but then I wasn't getting any more requests for books so I could get points for more books. I did look at bookmooch, but need to check it out more. I'll have to check out bookcrossing. Does anyone swap through this site? Just curious.

message 13: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I am a member of PBS and Bookmooch. Like bookmooch better. I have accumulated a lot of points so I just went on and mooched 10 books to send to my nephew who is in Afghanastan.
I have also mooched the Stephanie Plum series to send to a friend who was unemployed for a while. the books helped cheer her up

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) I am going to have to check out Bookmooch! I like PBS but if Bookmooch is better about swapping... I might just switch! I posted 10 books, have already mail out 4 books on PBS.. and I've gotten one book credit. I've never really had a problm with that until Kellie said she got a whole series?! I am def checking that out!

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane www.bookins.com is where I am getting books from.
I like it very much but will try these other sites
also.

message 16: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments in bookmoch you get 1/10 of a point every time you add a book to your inventory - 10 books 1 point. you also get 1/10 point went you give feedback after receiveing a book.

if you request/send a book nacionaly it costs 1point but internacional mooches cost 2 points to the receiver while the sender gets 3.

dont know how pbs works and cant use it cause I'm in europe. but I love bookmooch

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments I do both PBS and bookmooch. I prefer PBS for a few reasons - they generally have a better selection and more of the books I want to read, their website is faster, and they regulate the swaps (they will cancel a request if the sender takes too long to respond to the request, they send out reminder emails to send the books, etc.).

Bookmooch has it's positive and negative aspects. Positive is that they are less stringent on book condition - and you can note if the book has a few curled edges, etc. They also have a much better point system. The drawback is that their website can take forever when searching for a book and they also don't really regulate the swaps. You can request a book and the sender can take 2 weeks to respond, another 2 weeks to send it ... etc. You can see a user's feedback before you order from them (sort of like ebay) and you can always cancel the request yourself if they're taking too long, but I like that PBS keeps track of swappers who frequently have delays and can suspend their account if they have too many cancelled swaps. It seems to take a lot longer to get books from Bookmooch (on average).